Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - the fun and games of "upgrading" (computerwise)

Doug Winterburn wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Han wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in
:

I'm running MoneyDance instead of Quicken, it has a native Linux
version.
Advantages: MoneyDance doesn't sunset it's software and lobotomize
newer versions. Imports Quicken files, so the conversion is somewhat
painless. Cheaper than Quicken. Scrolling and date auto-fill are much
more intuitive and better than Quicken. Disadvantages: Some people
have had some issues with on-line banking (I don't do that so I can't
say). Investing management is somewhat less intuitive. Checkout
www.moneydance.com, they do have a trial version.

Thanks for your replies, M&J, and LRod.

I did try Moneydance once, but the conversion from Quicken sucked, so I
discarded it. I'm thinking about retiring, so then will be the time to
switch, especially since I just acquired (late 2007) Q2008, and have to
get my money's worth out of it!

Nobody using emulators yet?

I do use CrossoverOffice (a WINE wrapper). For some things it works
well:
TreePad, Quicktime, Lotus 123 (yes, I still have a few 123 spreadsheets,
and TaxAct. For other things not so well. Thus far I have found that it
won't load TurboCAD (I went with VariCAD under Linux), H&R Block TaxCut
(too bad, that was what I started using when TurboTax implemented their
spyware activation scheme), or MindManager.

I used TaxAct in Crossover Office this year for taxes, it worked, but I
was a bit more skeptical of the results than with TaxCut. Don't remember
all of the details, but there were a couple state forms that I knew I had
to complete, but TaxAct missed. I was able to force TaxAct to fill them
out, but that is not optimal.

Haven't tried the Msoft Office products under Crossover, I'm using
OpenOffice at home.

You can find what they do and don't support at www.codeweavers.com

I've been using vmware-server (under linux) for almost a year and you
can run most versions of windoze if you already have a license and linux
and solaris 10. No rebooting to run any win app you might need, just
boot up your virtual machine and have at it - in fact as many virtual
machines as you might need. Real memory is the key, and I've put 4GB on
several wintel machines for under $100 each. Virtual machine aren't
emulators and run at your hardware rates if not memory bound. If your
app ran on a non virtual machine, it will run on a virtual machine.

I looked into that; downside is that I would have to buy a Windows
license. My machine has Windows 2000 with no OS disk -- it's an
end-of-life machine that our company sells to employees when refreshing
desktops. The license is a legal license, but there is no recovery if the
machine has problems and also no disk that I can use to install into a
virtual machine. The price was right though and with OpenSuse Linux, a
three year old machine runs faster than most new machines with an Msoft OS.