Posted to rec.woodworking
evodawg evodawg is offline

Default OT - the fun and games of "upgrading" (computerwise)

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Kind of dabbling in both these worlds right now. We got SWMBO an iMac
about a month ago. I'm trying to be open-minded -- I really like the Mac,
and she loves the things it just does right out of the box like organize
pictures, add sound to slide shows, and put together movies. But, some of
the non-standard, or things that one would think would be standard, are
causing some frustration. For example, the ability to copy a DVD is
either hidden somewhere that is obvious to a Mac expert and totally
non-obvious to
a new user, or it just plain doesn't exist as a standard package. In
other cases, finding ways to do other things that are pretty obvious in
windows
or linux are an exercise in frustration on the Mac. Once you figure out
the right path, you can get the job done, but it's not obvious. But, like
I said, the things the Mac does as native tasks is just eye-watering.

I am witholding judgment at this time; after all, when the major OS
vendor
forced people to shut down their computers by pushing a button
marked "start", or to log on to the Windows OS by pushing a key
combination that used to be the last resort to reboot the machine -- a few
quirks in finding command paths isn't going to make me reject a different
system.

I like Mac's we have 2 in the house. I prefer linux though. Mac's are damn
expensive and if something goes wrong with one and your warranty is over
hold on to your wallet. My wife's Ibook DC plug stop working and would not
charge or work on regular house hold current, took it to a Mac store and
they wanted $600.00 to fix. I went on the net found a parts place and
bought it for $29.00, torx driver and a special tool to split the case. 40
bucks total. On the same site they had detailed instructions on the fix.
Followed the instructions to the T and had it back up and running in 1
hour.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"