Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Casements around wide entry opening question??

Have a customer that wants some of their entries into dinning room and
family room enclosed with casements and trim. In California they're
building these upper end homes with curved outside edge detail on the
drywall. It's a real pain in the ass to deal with. Anyone know if a trim
molding is available to deal with this? I have not been able to find
anything and just wonder if anyone has. I asked if I could use right angles
instead and they were adamant about keeping this detail. Guess I could
handle it like the base trim, (cutting small piece at 22 1/2 degree) and
make it myself. I have posted pics on a.b.p.woodworking for clarification
along with a dinning room I just finished.

Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

evodawg wrote:
Have a customer that wants some of their entries into dinning room and
family room enclosed with casements and trim. In California they're
building these upper end homes with curved outside edge detail on the
drywall. It's a real pain in the ass to deal with. Anyone know if a trim
molding is available to deal with this? I have not been able to find
anything and just wonder if anyone has. I asked if I could use right angles
instead and they were adamant about keeping this detail. Guess I could
handle it like the base trim, (cutting small piece at 22 1/2 degree) and
make it myself. I have posted pics on a.b.p.woodworking for clarification
along with a dinning room I just finished.

Rich

Rich

Check out http://www.trim-tex.com/

Just what you're looking for and a lot more.

Easy to work with and opens up a world of possibilities

Bob C

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob C wrote:

evodawg wrote:
[...]

Thanks Bob. Not exactly what I was looking for but none the less a good
resource for the trim they offer for base molding.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 May 2008 15:21:47 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Have a customer that wants some of their entries into dinning room and
family room enclosed with casements and trim. In California they're
building these upper end homes with curved outside edge detail on the
drywall. It's a real pain in the ass to deal with.

I know the feeling. We've been trimming those round corners for some
time now. We've seen several different ideas from the 22 1/2
technique to transition pieces installed by the sheetrock guys that
convert the round to square at the bottom of the corner.
The latest idea is a transition piece that the trim carpenter installs
after installing the trim. You make a 90 degree corner, leaving that
little void that you can stick your finger in. Instead of your
finger, you slide in a little plastic piece that has the round shape
on the back and a square corner on the front with a small lip that
sits on the trim. It transitions upward at a slight angle from the
square front to the round back and gets painted with the wall. It can
be used on base or crown since they just stick with a little glue.
Very slick idea if your customer can live with a square corner......
or won't pay to 22 1/2 around it.

Anyone know if a trim
molding is available to deal with this?

I'm having a hard time understanding what you are after. Are you
wanting to jamb and trim the opening that is now covered with rock and
round corners?

If so and you want to try to maintain the round look, could you use a
thicker jamb material and put a big round over on each edge of the
jamb? With a thicker jamb you should still have enough material to
nail the trim to the jamb with the radius corners exposed. Basically
it would be the same look as if you held a piece of trim up the wall
with the round (sheetrock) corners exposed....except that now the
exposed corners would be wood.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike O. wrote:

[...]

Yes

If so and you want to try to maintain the round look, could you use a
thicker jamb material and put a big round over on each edge of the
jamb? With a thicker jamb you should still have enough material to
nail the trim to the jamb with the radius corners exposed. Basically
it would be the same look as if you held a piece of trim up the wall
with the round (sheetrock) corners exposed....except that now the
exposed corners would be wood.

Well I wanted to use MDF but I don't think the nail will hold and the nail
will probably have to be countersunk deep so the round over does not
contact it. But yes this is what I figured I'd have to do. Customer is
still not sure if they want flat panel or raised panel on the jamb. Do you
have a picture of a drywall rounded outside corner with crown installed on
it. Inside corners are not an issue of course. Still a little confused on
your solution above, with the little plastic piece. Picture tells at least
a few stories. Up to this point I have not had to install crown on an
outside corner with this rounded drywall edge treatment. And not looking
forward to it.

Rich

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 May 2008 01:39:34 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Do you
have a picture of a drywall rounded outside corner with crown installed on
it. Inside corners are not an issue of course.

I don't right now. Basically it's done the same as running base
around them...except upside down and on a ladder.;-)
Normally we use the 22 1/2 method and the little pie piece of crown
with 22 1/2 on each end makes the turn.

Still a little confused on
your solution above, with the little plastic piece. Picture tells at least
a few stories.

I can get a picture of those tomorrow if I can remember.
I'll post them after work.

The solution actually came from the sheetrock company. They used to
install a transition piece over the round corner that turned the
bottom few inches into a square corner. It was applied after the
round corner and mudded in while they were finishing. That method
left too large a build up of mud and they also had to know how high
the piece was to be installed depending on the size of the baseboard.
We've seen them have to change all the corners in a house because they
didn't get this part right. Now, with these little pieces, the size
of the base doesn't matter because they are inserted after the base is
installed.
Personally, with large base, I kinda like the look of the 22 1/2 pie
going around the round corner. The whole idea of making a transition
back to square at the bottom (or top for crown) is just a labor/price
issue for the builders.

Up to this point I have not had to install crown on an
outside corner with this rounded drywall edge treatment. And not looking
forward to it.

You get the hang of it after the first one. It does make the crown
look nice because the pie piece gets wider toward the ceiling. It
still takes about twice as long to go around a round corner... no
matter how good you get at it.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike O. wrote:

On Tue, 06 May 2008 01:39:34 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Do you
have a picture of a drywall rounded outside corner with crown installed on
it. Inside corners are not an issue of course.

I don't right now. Basically it's done the same as running base
around them...except upside down and on a ladder.;-)
Normally we use the 22 1/2 method and the little pie piece of crown
with 22 1/2 on each end makes the turn.

That makes sense.

Still a little confused on
your solution above, with the little plastic piece. Picture tells at least
a few stories.

I can get a picture of those tomorrow if I can remember.
I'll post them after work.

That be cool. But I can see now from your statement above how that works. I
just have a problems cutting crown more than you have to, but with that
rounded corner what choices do you have?

[...]

Understand that.

Up to this point I have not had to install crown on an
outside corner with this rounded drywall edge treatment. And not looking
forward to it.

You get the hang of it after the first one. It does make the crown
look nice because the pie piece gets wider toward the ceiling. It
still takes about twice as long to go around a round corner... no
matter how good you get at it.

Like crown doesn't take long enough. Although I have gotten faster at it,
its not something I do everyday. Cutting that tiny pie must be a pain.
Meaning that blade is getting awful close to that finger.... So the start
of the pie would be the same as if you're doing baseboard?

Rich

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

I saw an episode of This Old House not long ago where they were doing
something like this.
They had a carpenter there that cut little pieces of the trim at a precise
angle to get the exact curve he wanted. He glued them together, then filled,
sanded, primed and finished them. Excellent work, but quite time
consumptive.
They also mentioned PVC molding on that episode as a possible alternative to
all of that work, and it made a very nice finished looking edge.

Here's a link to a discussion group on it, perhaps you can find more
information with what you can glean from this.
http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=4442

Best of luck and be sure to post some photos of your finished project!

Kate

"evodawg" wrote in message
Have a customer that wants some of their entries into dinning room and
family room enclosed with casements and trim. In California they're
building these upper end homes with curved outside edge detail on the
drywall. It's a real pain in the ass to deal with. Anyone know if a trim
molding is available to deal with this? I have not been able to find
anything and just wonder if anyone has. I asked if I could use right angles
instead and they were adamant about keeping this detail. Guess I could
handle it like the base trim, (cutting small piece at 22 1/2 degree) and
make it myself. I have posted pics on a.b.p.woodworking for clarification
along with a dinning room I just finished.

Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default More links

I Googled: round corners trim molding pvc
Here's a starter...

Aztec PVC Moldings:

http://www.vintagewoodworks.com/azekmouldings.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Kate wrote:

I saw an episode of This Old House not long ago where they were doing
something like this.
They had a carpenter there that cut little pieces of the trim at a precise
angle to get the exact curve he wanted. He glued them together, then
filled, sanded, primed and finished them. Excellent work, but quite time
consumptive.
They also mentioned PVC molding on that episode as a possible alternative
to all of that work, and it made a very nice finished looking edge.

Here's a link to a discussion group on it, perhaps you can find more
information with what you can glean from this.
http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=4442

Best of luck and be sure to post some photos of your finished project!

Kate

I'll check it out, thanks.
Rich

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 May 2008 01:39:34 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Still a little confused on
your solution above, with the little plastic piece. Picture tells at least
a few stories.

I posted the pic for the transition piece. You will see the plastic
part and then see it installed.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike O. wrote:

On Tue, 06 May 2008 01:39:34 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Still a little confused on
your solution above, with the little plastic piece. Picture tells at least
a few stories.

I posted the pic for the transition piece. You will see the plastic
part and then see it installed.

Mike O.

Where is it posted? I'm not seeing it in a.b.p.woodworking. Maybe my filter
is working to well.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 May 2008 13:27:48 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Like crown doesn't take long enough. Although I have gotten faster at it,
its not something I do everyday. Cutting that tiny pie must be a pain.
Meaning that blade is getting awful close to that finger.... So the start
of the pie would be the same as if you're doing baseboard?

Right. You can cut one 22 1/2 first on a long piece and cut the other
22 1/2 of the end. At least you have something to hang on to. Of
course usually that little piece gets thrown across the room.;-)

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 07 May 2008 01:51:22 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Where is it posted? I'm not seeing it in a.b.p.woodworking. Maybe my filter
is working to well.

Well, I guess I'm too stupid to get it posted. I got an error from my
server that it was too large so I split the limit but then it uploaded
in 21 pieces!.. Then even after recovering and joining the pieces it
would not show me the pic. I'll have to try again.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 07 May 2008 01:51:22 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Where is it posted? I'm not seeing it in a.b.p.woodworking. Maybe my filter
is working to well.

See if you can find it now.
Man that was embarrassing!!!

Mike O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike O. wrote:

On Tue, 06 May 2008 13:27:48 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Like crown doesn't take long enough. Although I have gotten faster at it,
its not something I do everyday. Cutting that tiny pie must be a pain.
Meaning that blade is getting awful close to that finger.... So the start
of the pie would be the same as if you're doing baseboard?

Right. You can cut one 22 1/2 first on a long piece and cut the other
22 1/2 of the end. At least you have something to hang on to. Of
course usually that little piece gets thrown across the room.;-)

Mike O.

LMAO You got that right. Don't know how many times that has happened!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"