Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O. Mike O. is offline

Default Casements around wide entry opening question??

On Sun, 04 May 2008 15:21:47 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Have a customer that wants some of their entries into dinning room and
family room enclosed with casements and trim. In California they're
building these upper end homes with curved outside edge detail on the
drywall. It's a real pain in the ass to deal with.

I know the feeling. We've been trimming those round corners for some
time now. We've seen several different ideas from the 22 1/2
technique to transition pieces installed by the sheetrock guys that
convert the round to square at the bottom of the corner.
The latest idea is a transition piece that the trim carpenter installs
after installing the trim. You make a 90 degree corner, leaving that
little void that you can stick your finger in. Instead of your
finger, you slide in a little plastic piece that has the round shape
on the back and a square corner on the front with a small lip that
sits on the trim. It transitions upward at a slight angle from the
square front to the round back and gets painted with the wall. It can
be used on base or crown since they just stick with a little glue.
Very slick idea if your customer can live with a square corner......
or won't pay to 22 1/2 around it.

Anyone know if a trim
molding is available to deal with this?

I'm having a hard time understanding what you are after. Are you
wanting to jamb and trim the opening that is now covered with rock and
round corners?

If so and you want to try to maintain the round look, could you use a
thicker jamb material and put a big round over on each edge of the
jamb? With a thicker jamb you should still have enough material to
nail the trim to the jamb with the radius corners exposed. Basically
it would be the same look as if you held a piece of trim up the wall
with the round (sheetrock) corners exposed....except that now the
exposed corners would be wood.

Mike O.