Posted to rec.woodworking
evodawg evodawg is offline

Default Casements around wide entry opening question??

Mike O. wrote:

On Tue, 06 May 2008 01:39:34 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Do you
have a picture of a drywall rounded outside corner with crown installed on
it. Inside corners are not an issue of course.

I don't right now. Basically it's done the same as running base
around them...except upside down and on a ladder.;-)
Normally we use the 22 1/2 method and the little pie piece of crown
with 22 1/2 on each end makes the turn.

That makes sense.

Still a little confused on
your solution above, with the little plastic piece. Picture tells at least
a few stories.

I can get a picture of those tomorrow if I can remember.
I'll post them after work.

That be cool. But I can see now from your statement above how that works. I
just have a problems cutting crown more than you have to, but with that
rounded corner what choices do you have?

The solution actually came from the sheetrock company. They used to
install a transition piece over the round corner that turned the
bottom few inches into a square corner. It was applied after the
round corner and mudded in while they were finishing. That method
left too large a build up of mud and they also had to know how high
the piece was to be installed depending on the size of the baseboard.
We've seen them have to change all the corners in a house because they
didn't get this part right. Now, with these little pieces, the size
of the base doesn't matter because they are inserted after the base is
installed.
Personally, with large base, I kinda like the look of the 22 1/2 pie
going around the round corner. The whole idea of making a transition
back to square at the bottom (or top for crown) is just a labor/price
issue for the builders.

Understand that.

Up to this point I have not had to install crown on an
outside corner with this rounded drywall edge treatment. And not looking
forward to it.

You get the hang of it after the first one. It does make the crown
look nice because the pie piece gets wider toward the ceiling. It
still takes about twice as long to go around a round corner... no
matter how good you get at it.

Like crown doesn't take long enough. Although I have gotten faster at it,
its not something I do everyday. Cutting that tiny pie must be a pain.
Meaning that blade is getting awful close to that finger.... So the start
of the pie would be the same as if you're doing baseboard?

Rich

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"