Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Help with bench grinder

I am stuck and need some guidance or directions. I have an 8" bench grinder
and I need to change the grinding wheel. I have had no success in getting
the nut off the shaft in order to remove the old wheel (still usable, I just
want to have to grits on the unit). Any suggestions on how to loosen the nut
without damaging the grinding wheel?
I have no idea of manufacturer nor do I have any type of instruction manual.
Bought from Woodcraft about 5-8 years ago.
Thanks in advance.
Ken

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ken Nuzum" wrote in message
news:Nrydnaa035XTt5LVnZ2dnUVZ_tajnZ2d@massilloncab letv.com...
I am stuck and need some guidance or directions. I have an 8" bench grinder
and I need to change the grinding wheel. I have had no success in getting
the nut off the shaft in order to remove the old wheel (still usable, I
just want to have to grits on the unit). Any suggestions on how to loosen
the nut without damaging the grinding wheel?
I have no idea of manufacturer nor do I have any type of instruction
manual. Bought from Woodcraft about 5-8 years ago.
Thanks in advance.
Ken

Left hand thread?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 7:23*am, "Ken Nuzum" wrote:
I am stuck and need some guidance or directions. I have an 8" bench grinder
and I need to change the grinding wheel. I have had no success in getting
the nut off the shaft in order to remove the old wheel (still usable, I just
want to have to grits on the unit). Any suggestions on how to loosen the nut
without damaging the grinding wheel?
I have no idea of manufacturer nor do I have any type of instruction manual.
Bought from Woodcraft about 5-8 years ago.
Thanks in advance.
Ken

Most have a left hand thread...is that doesnt work this is always
oil...

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Liquid Wrench and most likely left hand thread. Two small blocks off wood in
a c-clamp should hold the wheel without damage if the nut is on that tight.

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
"Ken Nuzum" wrote in message
news:Nrydnaa035XTt5LVnZ2dnUVZ_tajnZ2d@massilloncab letv.com...
I am stuck and need some guidance or directions. I have an 8" bench grinder
and I need to change the grinding wheel. I have had no success in getting
the nut off the shaft in order to remove the old wheel (still usable, I
just want to have to grits on the unit). Any suggestions on how to loosen
the nut without damaging the grinding wheel?
I have no idea of manufacturer nor do I have any type of instruction
manual. Bought from Woodcraft about 5-8 years ago.
Thanks in advance.
Ken

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 08:37:01 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"Ken Nuzum" wrote in message
news:Nrydnaa035XTt5LVnZ2dnUVZ_tajnZ2d@massillonca bletv.com...
I am stuck and need some guidance or directions. I have an 8" bench grinder
and I need to change the grinding wheel. I have had no success in getting
the nut off the shaft in order to remove the old wheel (still usable, I
just want to have to grits on the unit). Any suggestions on how to loosen
the nut without damaging the grinding wheel?
I have no idea of manufacturer nor do I have any type of instruction
manual. Bought from Woodcraft about 5-8 years ago.
Thanks in advance.
Ken

Left hand thread?

On one side, right?

ok.. substitute "correct" for "right"... lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

randyswoodshoop wrote:

Most have a left hand thread...is that doesnt work this is always
oil...

Where oil doesn't work, there's PB Blaster!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 9:42 am, "asmurff" wrote:
[...]

A strap wrench like this one from Sears
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...?keyword=strap
around the perimeter of the wheel should help.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 7:23*am, "Ken Nuzum" wrote:
I am stuck and need some guidance or directions. I have an 8" bench grinder
and I need to change the grinding wheel. I have had no success in getting
the nut off the shaft in order to remove the old wheel (still usable, I just
want to have to grits on the unit). Any suggestions on how to loosen the nut
without damaging the grinding wheel?
I have no idea of manufacturer nor do I have any type of instruction manual.
Bought from Woodcraft about 5-8 years ago.
Thanks in advance.
Ken

Once you are CERTAIN of the thread (right or left), use an impact
wrench on the miminum torque setting. If you don't have shop air,
perhaps you can borrow an electric or cordless model or, take the
entire unit to an auto shop and slide the mechanic $10 or so to take
it off for you. REMIND him to use his smallest impact on the low
torque setting. Impact wrenches are really handy to have around the
shop, even for non-automotive work so you might just go get a cheapie
for $25 - 30. A cheap Harbor Freight unit would be perfect for this
because they don't have much torque. I'll get flamed for this, but
it's okay to use a standard socket (for this operation only). You
don't have to get an impact socket.

Read the following if you are not experienced with impact wrenches.
They can be very powerful and can break stuff even as big as lug studs
on trucks. They need to be used carefully for small work.

Most wrenches have multiple torque settings. Start with the lowest and
give the trigger a very brief pull. It will probably come right off.
If it doesn't, try the 2nd lowest setting. If it still doesn't come
off, RE-VERIFY the thread (right or left) and increase the torque
again. I really doubt you'll get to this point. In any case, if it
doesn't come loose, keep trying in short bursts, and maybe apply some
penetrating lubricant before trying again. Do NOT use the impact to
put the nut back on.

Good luck,
Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ken Nuzum" wrote in message
news:Nrydnaa035XTt5LVnZ2dnUVZ_tajnZ2d@massilloncab letv.com...
I am stuck and need some guidance or directions. I have an 8" bench grinder
and I need to change the grinding wheel. I have had no success in getting
the nut off the shaft in order to remove the old wheel (still usable, I
just want to have to grits on the unit). Any suggestions on how to loosen
the nut without damaging the grinding wheel?
I have no idea of manufacturer nor do I have any type of instruction
manual. Bought from Woodcraft about 5-8 years ago.
Thanks in advance.
Ken

Well first keep in mind that to loosen a nut that attaches something that
spins you loosen in the same direction that the nut/wheel spins. The holds
true with most every except vehicle wheels although earlier Chrysler,
Plymouth, and Dodge products used this technique on their vehicles for some
time.
Looking at the grinder, the left side wheel nut loosens by turning clock
wise. Loosen the right side wheel nut by turning the nut counter clock
wise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Ken Nuzum" wrote in message
news:Nrydnaa035XTt5LVnZ2dnUVZ_tajnZ2d@massilloncab letv.com...
I am stuck and need some guidance or directions. I have an 8" bench
grinder and I need to change the grinding wheel. I have had no success in
getting the nut off the shaft in order to remove the old wheel (still
usable, I just want to have to grits on the unit). Any suggestions on how
to loosen the nut without damaging the grinding wheel?
I have no idea of manufacturer nor do I have any type of instruction
manual. Bought from Woodcraft about 5-8 years ago.
Thanks in advance.
Ken

Left hand thread?

On the left side, right hand thread the right side.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"randyswoodshoop" wrote in message
On Apr 23, 7:23 am, "Ken Nuzum" wrote:
I am stuck and need some guidance or directions. I have an 8" bench
grinder
and I need to change the grinding wheel. I have had no success in getting
the nut off the shaft in order to remove the old wheel (still usable, I
just
want to have to grits on the unit). Any suggestions on how to loosen the
nut
without damaging the grinding wheel?
I have no idea of manufacturer nor do I have any type of instruction
manual.
Bought from Woodcraft about 5-8 years ago.
Thanks in advance.
Ken

Most have a left hand thread...is that doesnt work this is always
oil...

Most with 2 wheels have left and right hand threads depending on the side
you are working on.