Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Help with bench grinder

"Ken Nuzum" wrote in message
news:Nrydnaa035XTt5LVnZ2dnUVZ_tajnZ2d@massilloncab letv.com...
I am stuck and need some guidance or directions. I have an 8" bench grinder
and I need to change the grinding wheel. I have had no success in getting
the nut off the shaft in order to remove the old wheel (still usable, I
just want to have to grits on the unit). Any suggestions on how to loosen
the nut without damaging the grinding wheel?
I have no idea of manufacturer nor do I have any type of instruction
manual. Bought from Woodcraft about 5-8 years ago.
Thanks in advance.
Ken

Well first keep in mind that to loosen a nut that attaches something that
spins you loosen in the same direction that the nut/wheel spins. The holds
true with most every except vehicle wheels although earlier Chrysler,
Plymouth, and Dodge products used this technique on their vehicles for some
time.
Looking at the grinder, the left side wheel nut loosens by turning clock
wise. Loosen the right side wheel nut by turning the nut counter clock
wise.