Don D.

Default I need a better bench grinder

I have a 6", 3/4 hp bench grinder I bought when a tool truck came to town.
It is a good size, but no power.. JUNK to me.
Does HF, HD or Sears have a good grinder that can use a wire wheel with out
bogging down?
What size, hp and amps would I look for that will not grunt or stop on me...

TIA
Don D.

Don D.

Has anyone bought from Northern tools? I am also looking at these grinders.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...d=6970&Ntk=All
I was looking at the one with the belt sander attached. Any help here on
this?

Don D.

"Don D." wrote in message
I have a 6", 3/4 hp bench grinder I bought when a tool truck came to town.
It is a good size, but no power.. JUNK to me.
Does HF, HD or Sears have a good grinder that can use a wire wheel with
out
bogging down?
What size, hp and amps would I look for that will not grunt or stop on
me...

TIA
Don D.

JR North

The HF's will bog with a course wire wheel.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Don D. wrote:

I have a 6", 3/4 hp bench grinder I bought when a tool truck came to town.
It is a good size, but no power.. JUNK to me.
Does HF, HD or Sears have a good grinder that can use a wire wheel with out
bogging down?
What size, hp and amps would I look for that will not grunt or stop on me...

TIA
Don D.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Vladimir Vladimirovich

"Don D." wrote in message
I have a 6", 3/4 hp bench grinder I bought when a tool truck came to town.
It is a good size, but no power.. JUNK to me.
Does HF, HD or Sears have a good grinder that can use a wire wheel with
out
bogging down?
What size, hp and amps would I look for that will not grunt or stop on
me...

TIA
Don D.

ebay or an auction. Get something with a real motor, like a Baldor.

Ken Sterling

I have a 6", 3/4 hp bench grinder I bought when a tool truck came to town.
It is a good size, but no power.. JUNK to me.
Does HF, HD or Sears have a good grinder that can use a wire wheel with out
bogging down?
What size, hp and amps would I look for that will not grunt or stop on me...

TIA
Don D.

I bought one from one of those tool truck sales ---- again, JUNK.
It had open, exposed bearings facing the sides of the wheels and the
bearings went out within a few days.... No power, either as when I
open up this huge housing, there was a little tiny drill motor sized
armature inside - no wonder no power. I bought a Delta next - but
didn't notice on the box (in tiny print) Made in China.... same junk,
different name. My thoughts are to make one with a good motor, NOT
3450 rpm (which I could never understand why a grinder has to spin out
of control to operate), which will probably be driving a belt driven
arbor. Gotta be better than the china junk - and it *will* be made in
the USA (by ME). :-)
Ken.

Don D.

I saw a couple grinders that had low RPM's, I wonder if these would work
better that the 3400 RPM's. I saw another one at the about 3400 RPM that
said no load, would that mean it should not bog down?
I did a small job biulding a tie post for a friend and I am using the money
to buy a bigger grinder. I am looking at $80.00 - 100.00 if that helps
finding a decent grinder

Don D.

"Don D." wrote in message
I have a 6", 3/4 hp bench grinder I bought when a tool truck came to town.
It is a good size, but no power.. JUNK to me.
Does HF, HD or Sears have a good grinder that can use a wire wheel with
out
bogging down?
What size, hp and amps would I look for that will not grunt or stop on
me...

TIA
Don D.

Spehro Pefhany

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:56:35 -0700, the renowned "Don D."
wrote:

I saw a couple grinders that had low RPM's, I wonder if these would work
better that the 3400 RPM's. I saw another one at the about 3400 RPM that
said no load, would that mean it should not bog down?
I did a small job biulding a tie post for a friend and I am using the money
to buy a bigger grinder. I am looking at $80.00 - 100.00 if that helps
finding a decent grinder

Don D.

I'm sure they're not in the same class as an industrial-strength
Baldor, but the Ryobi 3600 RPM 8" looks like pretty decent value for
$59 US (Home Depot-- about 1/10 the $600+ street price of a new
1800RPM 3/4HP 8" Baldor such as the 8100WD). But then I don't do big
stuff very often.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Don D.

I see sears has a 6" variable speed grinder (#21152) in their craftsman
club flyer on sale for 63.00. Any takers having this one?

Just for ****s and giggles I did buy a motor from off a swamp cooler (evap
cooler) that can run a two speeds 1725 / 1140 RPM's, 1/2 hp, 8.4 amp, 60 hz.
The manufacture is A.O. Smith corp. frostline model. I will see what that
does stand alone or use it belt driven in an arbor. If not, junk it on this
project and use it when my cooler motor blows.

I will find something this week

I hate buy something and it is gutless.. I have the need for more POWER..
Home improvement is one of my shows... MORE POWER, ARE ARE ARE.

Thanks for all your input and keep it all coming.
Don D.

om...

"Don D." wrote in message
I have a 6", 3/4 hp bench grinder I bought when a tool truck came to town.
It is a good size, but no power.. JUNK to me.
Does HF, HD or Sears have a good grinder that can use a wire wheel with
out
bogging down?
What size, hp and amps would I look for that will not grunt or stop on
me...

TIA
Don D.

Dave

Anyone tried the 10" from HF?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=6510

Don D.

I saw that one also..... 2hp MORE POWER! I wonder if it is worth it. It
does not say "NO LOAD" I also wonder if no load means will not bog down...
could be worth it... They are only 75 miles away from me in AZ.

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone tried the 10" from HF?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=6510

williamhenry

you need to stalk the auctions and estate sales , really good grinders
havent been made in years

look for a ten to 16 inch pedestal grinder

you do have three phase power ?

otherwise the milwaukee 5051 1 3/4 hp is the best on the market right now

Charles A. Sherwood

look for a ten to 16 inch pedestal grinder

I have a baldor 10 inch grinder. Now that a real grinder. Still made
and sold by various distributors such as J&L.

However, I use my 1 inch kalamazoo belt sander far more than my
grinder. It is an amazing useful tool. It can do everything from
sharpen pencils to hog off metal.

chuck

IBM5081

The Milwaukee 5051 seems to be only a 3/4 h.p. unit, not a 1 3/4 h.p.,
though it is probably still a quality unit.

williamhenry wrote:
otherwise the milwaukee 5051 1 3/4 hp is the best on the market right

now

Dave

Gunner wrote:

Ayup..most used abrasive in my shop are the belt sanders

Gunner

Really? As a grinder substitute?

Gunner

On 1 Feb 2005 16:24:01 -0800, "Dave" wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Ayup..most used abrasive in my shop are the belt sanders

Gunner

Really? As a grinder substitute?

Yes indeedy. I shape and sharpen my high speed steel tool bits on a
belt sander, do most shaping and forming on a belt sander, deburr and
whatnot on belt sanders.

In fact, I seldom ever turn on any of the 3 or so grinders, except the
diamond wheeled Baldor for final sharpening. Probably the grinder
that gets the most use has a fine wire wheel on one side and a soft
wheel for deburring on the other.

Most of all, I use the big 6x48 belt sander that has a 12" disk
sander on the side, followed by the usual 1x42 (I have two, next to
each other, one with a course and one with a fine belt.

Belts when bought off ebay from Barbkat are cheap, last a long time
and do excellent work for steel stock removal.\

They can swap out belts in a matter of seconds so changing from grit
to grit is a breeze. You simply leave the guards off G

The fine belted 1x42 is what I use most of all for sharpening drill
bits. Its a snap to do.

I consider them to be among the handiest tools in the entire shop.

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)

I have one and like it. It does not bog down. It may not really be a
2 hp motor, but it has plenty of power. It runs at 1725 rpm and
therefore has more torque than a grinder that runs at 3450 rpm. That
said, I replaced the fine wheel with a soft white one from Boeing
Surplus. The new one is a 1.25 inch wide Norton wheel. I should
replace the coarse wheel as it is not good. But right now I just lean
into it and let it burn whatever I am grinding. ( I don't do that on
things that care about ).

If you get one plan on beefing up or replacing the tool rests. I
brazed a gusset on one and made another from 1/4 inch thick steel.

Dan

Dave wrote:
Anyone tried the 10" from HF?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=6510

Charles A. Sherwood

Really? As a grinder substitute?

Definately. My 1 inch kalamazoo belt sander gets a lot of use.
The flat surface makes it ideal for grinding contors.
My 2 inch belt sander runs twice as fast and only gets used
for hogging off stock.

Another big plus is that you can use it for all kinds of metal.
Grinding aluminum is dangerous. Easy on a belt sander.

chuck

Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 11:21:17 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

It's a lot less dangerous in general than a grinder.

P.S. well, not always:

http://www.snopes.com/risque/penile/scrotum.htm

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Dave wrote:
Gunner wrote:

Ayup..most used abrasive in my shop are the belt sanders

Gunner

Really? As a grinder substitute?

A wheel grinder is a belt grinder substitute, not the other way around.
Still somewhat useful with a wire brush, but my 4 1/2" angle grinder
gets more play using wire wheels and flap wheels. Haven't fired up the
wheel grinder in ages.

Stan

I've noticed that metal doesn't seem the get anwhere near as hot on the
belt sander as the bench grinder. At least for the 4 belt sander that
I use the most. I haven't done a study or anything, but I think it gets
a lot more air flowing past the part I'm sanding, compared to the bench
grinder. The extra air flow lets me take off more metal with the part
staying cooler.

This is with a coarse belt (less that 120 grit) compaired to a standard
grey cutting wheel in a 6" bench grinder.

I have to agree that th belt sander is a more useful tool. If anyone is
going to get one, I'd suggest you get one where you can get your part
behind the platen to sand the inside of "U" shaped pieces.

DoN. Nichols

wrote:

It's a lot less dangerous in general than a grinder.

P.S. well, not always:

http://www.snopes.com/risque/penile/scrotum.htm

Except that was not a belt sander, but a drive belt for some
machine tool. And it was hardly being used as intended. :-)

I'm glad to see that Snopes verifies this one. I've always felt
that it read as true.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Eric R Snow

On 2 Feb 2005 16:56:10 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

wrote:

It's a lot less dangerous in general than a grinder.

P.S. well, not always:

http://www.snopes.com/risque/penile/scrotum.htm

Except that was not a belt sander, but a drive belt for some
machine tool. And it was hardly being used as intended. :-)

I'm glad to see that Snopes verifies this one. I've always felt
that it read as true.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I've read that article on snopes.com before. It still makes me weak to
think about it.
ERS