James D. Farrow

Default Bench Grinder Choice?

I want to get a bench grinder to sharpen my chisels. I noticed there are
quite a few choices with prices to match. As I will probably only use it for
the chisels, do I really need a "great" one? Or will one of the cheaper ones
do just as well for my needs?

Canadian Tire have a "Jobmate 6-in. 2.5A Bench Grinder" for $39.99.
Will this suffice?

Thanks,

James

Jim Gott

I want to get a bench grinder to sharpen my chisels. I noticed there are
quite a few choices with prices to match. As I will probably only use it for
the chisels, do I really need a "great" one? Or will one of the cheaper ones
do just as well for my needs?

Canadian Tire have a "Jobmate 6-in. 2.5A Bench Grinder" for $39.99.
Will this suffice?

Thanks,

James
BRBR

The 8-inch slow speed grinder from Woodcraft is a good buy, and it comes with
two white wheels. It's under $100. Add to that a Wolverine with Varigrind and
you'll be in business.

-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA
George

You mean turning tools, right?

Makes a ~3450 (High Speed) grinder possible, but I favor the greater utility
of the slow speed, which is a less risky way of doing your wood chisels,
plane irons and such. If you have someone local with a return policy, you
have a pick of the litter possibility. If the one you have has problems,
back it goes under your arm for an exchange, instead of return
authorization, receive pig in poke....

Think carefully about the tradeoffs between soft bond and hard bond wheels
before you lay out as many bucks for a wheel as you did for the motor. Soft
bonds are much less likely to burn, even on finer grits, which is what
you'll want for your turning tools, but they end up as sand on the floor
much more rapidly. My particular compromise is the 100 grit green SiC type
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=105-677 Don't know a
Canadian source.

Be sure and buy a conditioner - star wheel ok - when you get your grinder.
You'll want it to gain circularity at the outset, and for the occasional
level later.

"James D. Farrow" wrote in message
I want to get a bench grinder to sharpen my chisels. I noticed there are
quite a few choices with prices to match. As I will probably only use it

for
the chisels, do I really need a "great" one? Or will one of the cheaper

ones
do just as well for my needs?

Canadian Tire have a "Jobmate 6-in. 2.5A Bench Grinder" for $39.99.
Will this suffice?

Thanks,

James

Phisherman

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:26:06 -0400, "James D. Farrow"
wrote:

I want to get a bench grinder to sharpen my chisels. I noticed there are
quite a few choices with prices to match. As I will probably only use it for
the chisels, do I really need a "great" one? Or will one of the cheaper ones
do just as well for my needs?

Canadian Tire have a "Jobmate 6-in. 2.5A Bench Grinder" for $39.99.
Will this suffice?

Thanks,

James

I have a cheap $25, 1/3 HP, grinder. Great for grinding metal,
sharpening mower blades. But for chisels I use my Makita wetstone
sharpener. Regular grinders run about 3400rpm and that's enough to
easily burn metal if you are not careful. I've always wanted a
slow-speed Baldor grinder--these are the "Cadillacs" of grinders.
(Maybe I'll buy one when I find employment.)
Steven Raphael

Well I may as well put my two cents worth in

From my own exp I would stay away from the cheap grinders as they tend not
to last for long.

First grinder I bought was a Black & Decker that I paid $39.99 for and it
lasted me about a Cumulative 1 maybe 2 hours of use. (warranty was gone by
that time.)
The grinder that I have now is not the best but it works for me so far.
(Craftsmen 8 inch)
"James D. Farrow" wrote in message
I want to get a bench grinder to sharpen my chisels. I noticed there are
quite a few choices with prices to match. As I will probably only use it
for
the chisels, do I really need a "great" one? Or will one of the cheaper
ones
do just as well for my needs?

Canadian Tire have a "Jobmate 6-in. 2.5A Bench Grinder" for $39.99.
Will this suffice?

Thanks,

James

Denis Marier

"Don't know a Canadian source?"

I do not know where you are in Canada. I buy my green grinding wheels at
an Industrial supplier (Apex) and I get a contractor's discount. Check the
Industrial suppliers in your area and compare prices. Canadian Tires are
not in the race when it comes to grinding wheels and grinders.
Having a good grinding wheel and a decent grinder is not all you need. You
have to dress the wheel on the grinder before you start to use it. To do
this a diamond dresser is the best but you can get away with the ordinary
steel wheel. Good Canadian and US made grinding wheels are expensive and
are preferred for mass production. However for the hobbyist the middle east
are exporting fair quality wheels at a lower price.
Check with Busy Bee Tools at www.busybeetools.com and your local King
Canada Tools.

cindy drozda

I'd spend my money on wheels and balancing rather than on the grinder. The
Canadian Tire one sounds good. And as for a Canadian source for wheels,
etc, try OneWay. Their wheels are designed to run at 3450 like the run of
the mill grinders. Go for 8" rather than 6" if possible.

CD
boulder CO

cm

James,

I have a freind that uses a simalar grinder to sharpen his tools and sells
his vessels for as high as $10.000! Most of his tools are cheap or home-made
even his lathe.

AZCRAIG / Tormek user :-)

www.azcraig.us

"James D. Farrow" wrote in message
I want to get a bench grinder to sharpen my chisels. I noticed there are
quite a few choices with prices to match. As I will probably only use it
for
the chisels, do I really need a "great" one? Or will one of the cheaper
ones
do just as well for my needs?

Canadian Tire have a "Jobmate 6-in. 2.5A Bench Grinder" for $39.99.
Will this suffice?

Thanks,

James

James D. Farrow

Thanks!

I found one (General Int'l) that has the low RPM and
seems to be a lot better.

Regards,

James

"James D. Farrow" wrote in message
I want to get a bench grinder to sharpen my chisels. I noticed there are
quite a few choices with prices to match. As I will probably only use it

for
the chisels, do I really need a "great" one? Or will one of the cheaper

ones
do just as well for my needs?

Canadian Tire have a "Jobmate 6-in. 2.5A Bench Grinder" for $39.99.
Will this suffice?

Thanks,

James

Lobby Dosser

"cm" wrote:

James,

I have a freind that uses a simalar grinder to sharpen his tools and
sells his vessels for as high as $10.000!

I guess that's what I've been missing: a $40 grinder! )

Most of his tools are cheap
or home-made even his lathe.

AZCRAIG / Tormek user :-)

www.azcraig.us