Spehro Pefhany

On 2 Feb 2005 15:23:18 GMT, the renowned
(Charles A. Sherwood) wrote:

Really? As a grinder substitute?

Definately. My 1 inch kalamazoo belt sander gets a lot of use.
The flat surface makes it ideal for grinding contors.
My 2 inch belt sander runs twice as fast and only gets used
for hogging off stock.

Another big plus is that you can use it for all kinds of metal.
Grinding aluminum is dangerous. Easy on a belt sander.

chuck

It's a lot less dangerous in general than a grinder. Worst that
generally happens is the part could get caught between the table and
the belt and stall the belt. I use both, but this comment about
machines that make your "nuts crawl" sticks in my mind:

From May 17, 2000

I will not have an 8" bench grinder..even a
6" keeps me wary and taking special precautions. Until you have witnessed what
a bursting wheel can do, my special prayers for safety go with you all!

teenut

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany