Steve Smith

The big thing I noticed when first using a belt sander as a grinder is
how much more control you have in shaping a tool. Major advantage.

Steve

Gunner wrote:

On 1 Feb 2005 16:24:01 -0800, "Dave" wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Ayup..most used abrasive in my shop are the belt sanders

Gunner

Really? As a grinder substitute?

Yes indeedy. I shape and sharpen my high speed steel tool bits on a
belt sander, do most shaping and forming on a belt sander, deburr and
whatnot on belt sanders.

In fact, I seldom ever turn on any of the 3 or so grinders, except the
diamond wheeled Baldor for final sharpening. Probably the grinder
that gets the most use has a fine wire wheel on one side and a soft
wheel for deburring on the other.

Most of all, I use the big 6x48 belt sander that has a 12" disk
sander on the side, followed by the usual 1x42 (I have two, next to
each other, one with a course and one with a fine belt.

Belts when bought off ebay from Barbkat are cheap, last a long time
and do excellent work for steel stock removal.\

They can swap out belts in a matter of seconds so changing from grit
to grit is a breeze. You simply leave the guards off G

The fine belted 1x42 is what I use most of all for sharpening drill
bits. Its a snap to do.

I consider them to be among the handiest tools in the entire shop.

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)