Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Earth Day

The celebration of Earth Day by the local PBS station included showing
a couple of unique recycling programs here in SoCal.

1) Latex Paint.

There is a latex only, paint recycling business in the neighborhood
that produces a reconstituted paint product from old paint.

They produce a few different colors, but mostly "off white".

It is about 1/3-1/2 the cost of "new" paint and gets used on things
like brick walls or other background surfaces.

The professional painter will notice a slight variation in
characteristics from "new", but probably not the amateur.

The olds cans end up being recycled into rebar. (Same place
confiscated firearms go)

2) Carpet

Today, almost all carpet is hydrocarbon based.

This is the only location in the world providing this service.

They recycle old carpet by stripping of the old backing, then
reformulating what is left into carpet padding or other plastic
padding applications including automotive.

They process over 4,000,000,000 lbs of carpet annually at this one
location. (Yes, that's BILLION with a "B").

3) Dry Cleaning

The elimination of Tri-Clor used in dry cleaning has been a primary
objective of the SCAQMD as well as the EPA for some time.

It is not only nasty but hazardous.

A solution is available.

Leave it to the Germans.

They have developed a water based cleaning process that not only does
a better job cleaning the clothes, but also uses less energy, is less
expensive to purchase, and produces no hazardous waste.

Ultimately, these are all profit driven businesses, but it clearly
demonstrates there are alternates to our here to for wasteful life
styles.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Earth Day

Lew Hodgett wrote:
[...]

But can it clean wool without shrinking it?

Ultimately, these are all profit driven businesses, but it clearly
demonstrates there are alternates to our here to for wasteful life
styles.

Lew

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote:

3) Dry Cleaning
They have developed a water based cleaning process that not only
does
a better job cleaning the clothes, but also uses less energy, is
less
expensive to purchase, and produces no hazardous waste.

But can it clean wool without shrinking it?

Of course.

Do you have a link to this process?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Do you have a link to this process?

Not really; however, it was shown on KCET here in L/A on Huell
Howser's program, if that helps.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

3) Dry Cleaning

The elimination of Tri-Clor used in dry cleaning has been a primary
objective of the SCAQMD as well as the EPA for some time.

It is not only nasty but hazardous.

A solution is available.

Leave it to the Germans.

They have developed a water based cleaning process that not only does a
better job cleaning the clothes, but also uses less energy, is less
expensive to purchase, and produces no hazardous waste.

Um... If it's water based, is it still called dry cleaning?

My friend worked for CarpetCycle (?) a while back. Interesting program they
have going there.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

My city celebrated by slashing and burning hundreds of trees behind my
house. I can't figure out the city council. Every chance they get
they'll rip out the green spaces around established housing areas and
stuff in some retail space. We literally have more empty retail space
than full. Some of it new and never occupied. I should probably
consider myself fortunate. A few blocks up the road they removed the
green space, built a 20 foot wall and then a Walgreens store on top of
it. Some unlucky residents went from a beautiful wooded view to a 20
foot concrete wall in a matter of months.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

The celebration of Earth Day by the local PBS station snip of good stuff

Hmmmm ... I wonder if I can get reverse carbon credits if I start building
bonfires to keep the earth warm?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...013480,00.html

Funny how you hear little about it in what passes for "news" here in the
United Corporations of Norte Amercano.

Wonder what the Goracle will have to say about that on Oprah?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Hmmmm ... I wonder if I can get reverse carbon credits if I start building
bonfires to keep the earth warm?

Spoken like a true Aggie !

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

Hmmmm ... I wonder if I can get reverse carbon credits if I start

building
bonfires to keep the earth warm?

Spoken like a true Aggie !

Well, where do you think I got the idea ... eat y'alls teasippin' little
hearts out!

Besides, Bubba ... show a little respect here! I'll have you know that
you're talking to the proud recipient of 1 brazilian's worth of "carbon
offsets"!!

(a "brazilian" (sic) being a mind boggling number too large for even a
prominent scientist of Al Gore's mental stature to comprehend!)

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/prou...lianholder.pdf

(thanks, Leon!)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Well, where do you think I got the idea ... eat y'alls teasippin' little
hearts out!

I know where you got the idea. FYI, I am a Cougroe (Civil Technology,
Construction Management) though I came to it late in life (Class of '98).

Besides, Bubba ... show a little respect here! I'll have you know that
you're talking to the proud recipient of 1 brazilian's worth of "carbon
offsets"!!

(a "brazilian" (sic) being a mind boggling number too large for even a
prominent scientist of Al Gore's mental stature to comprehend!)

HAH! I always thought that was a GWB anecdote. Guess it depends on
what crowd you run with.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/prou...lianholder.pdf

Is that like Calloway golf clubs?

/))))) Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 24, 12:50 pm, "Swingman" k...@no

(a "brazilian" (sic) being a mind boggling number too large for even a
prominent scientist of Al Gore's mental stature to comprehend!)

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/prou...lianholder.pdf

I thought it was a unit of measure for pubic hair...

--

FF
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote
On Apr 24, 12:50 pm, "Swingman"

(a "brazilian" (sic) being a mind boggling number too large for even a
prominent scientist of Al Gore's mental stature to comprehend!)

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/prou...lianholder.pdf

I thought it was a unit of measure for pubic hair...

Inquiring minds ... Is a 'Brazilian" more, or less, (pubic hair) than a
"bikini"?

.... we've been trying to figure that one out for about two weeks.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Are you sure you want to know ????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_waxing
http://www.idealimage.com/services/bikini_line.php

Swingman wrote:

Inquiring minds ... Is a 'Brazilian" more, or less, (pubic hair) than a
"bikini"?

... we've been trying to figure that one out for about two weeks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote

On Apr 24, 12:50 pm, "Swingman"

(a "brazilian" (sic) being a mind boggling number too large for even a
prominent scientist of Al Gore's mental stature to comprehend!)

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/prou...lianholder.pdf

I thought it was a unit of measure for pubic hair...

Inquiring minds ... Is a 'Brazilian" more, or less, (pubic hair) than a
"bikini"?

... we've been trying to figure that one out for about two weeks.

You do know where this brazilian thing comes from right?

Dick Cheney came into the oval office one day and told the
president that 6 Brazilian soldiers had been killed in
Afganistan. Bush was shocked and said that it was an absolutely
terrible developement and that he couldn't be more filled with
sadness.

After a brief pause, the president asked Cheney; "How many is a
brazilian, anyway?"

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" writes:
!

(a "brazilian" (sic) being a mind boggling number too large for even a
prominent scientist of Al Gore's mental stature to comprehend!)

I was under the impression that a brazilian (sic) had something to do with wax...

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robert Allison" wrote

You do know where this brazilian thing comes from right?

Dick Cheney came into the oval office one day and told the
president that 6 Brazilian soldiers had been killed in
Afganistan. Bush was shocked and said that it was an absolutely
terrible developement and that he couldn't be more filled with
sadness.

After a brief pause, the president asked Cheney; "How many is a
brazilian, anyway?"

Yeah ... AAMOF, that's the derivative of an inside measurement/joke amongst
some if the locals here, thus the certificate Leon gave me.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Inquiring minds ... Is a 'Brazilian" more, or less, (pubic hair) than a
"bikini"?

... we've been trying to figure that one out for about two weeks.

Yep ... that explains why our wives were laughing so hard.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

The celebration of Earth Day by the local PBS station snip of good stuff

Hmmmm ... I wonder if I can get reverse carbon credits if I start building
bonfires to keep the earth warm?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...013480,00.html

Funny how you hear little about it in what passes for "news" here in the
United Corporations of Norte Amercano.

Wonder what the Goracle will have to say about that on Oprah?

Try this test:

http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/Gl...est/start.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, you could always say:

"Hey...we could be the first in the neighborhood".

Yep ... that explains why our wives were laughing so hard.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber"
wrote in message
Well, you could always say:

"Hey...we could be the first in the neighborhood".

Can you get a job doing that? ... inquiring minds, and all that.

Might be a good retirement career, being harmless old men ...

.... yeah, right!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 25, 9:32 am, Pat Barber wrote:
Well, you could always say:

"Hey...we could be the first in the neighborhood".

I dunno... I might consider it. There was a claim on the second link
that said something like "waking up feeling fresh and clean every
morning" or some such.

What a relief it would be to not wake up with my hair in a snarl,
white chin whiskers to shave, eyeballs glued together from allergies,
throat raw from snoring, and stumbling down the hallway having to pee
like a racehorse.

They might have something here...

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote
On Apr 25, 9:32 am, Pat Barberwrote:
Well, you could always say:

"Hey...we could be the first in the neighborhood".

I dunno... I might consider it. There was a claim on the second link
that said something like "waking up feeling fresh and clean every
morning" or some such.

What a relief it would be to not wake up with my hair in a snarl,
white chin whiskers to shave, eyeballs glued together from allergies,
throat raw from snoring, and stumbling down the hallway having to pee
like a racehorse.

They might have something here...

LOL ... but what's sad is that it takes no imaginatative horsepower
whatsoever to conjure up a mental picture of your above.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 25, 11:12 am, "J. Clarke" wrote:

What a relief it would be to not wake up with my hair in a snarl,
white chin whiskers to shave, eyeballs glued together from
allergies,
throat raw from snoring, and stumbling down the hallway having to
pee
like a racehorse.

If you snore that hard (and if you don't live in some nanny state like
California where a diagnosis can get your driver's license revoked)
you might want to talk to a pulmonologist about sleep apnea.

It was a joke, J. I appreciate the concern, but just a joke.

I actually do all of those things, some even all at once, but no
problems with apnea.

I actually just typed it out after wondering what kind of return it
would take for someone to get their pubes ripped out by the roots.

Robert

Earth? The Medway Handyman UK diy 14 March 16th 08 07:32 PM
Earth testing eastender UK diy 12 February 7th 07 08:26 PM
Google Earth Michael Kennedy Electronics Repair 4 December 21st 06 12:59 PM
Yet another Earth question jon UK diy 16 May 11th 06 04:16 PM
SWA earth Stephen Gower UK diy 10 October 21st 03 03:38 PM