Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Laid Off and Executive Desk Design

As some of you know, about five years ago I gave up the cabinet shop
and entered corporate life as project manager for a millwork company.

Back in September I was recruited from my original position at said
company and went to work for another type of manufacturing company to
service their lead client.

What I didn't know (and neither, apparently, did my new employers)
when I signed on was that the previous occupant of my chair was going
to leverage his strong relationship with the client and go out on his
own to service their account.

When I signed on we had essentially all of the customer's business.
When I actually showed up for work, two weeks later, we had about
eighty percent and the new/old guy had the rest.

After a month, the new/old guy had fifty percent.

After another month, he had eighty percent.

When I left, after three months, we had about ten percent.

My new company was suitably embarrased and provided a nice pacakage to
make my layoff more palatable - but I was still a fifty-seven year old
guy looking for a job.

****ed me off.

Well, I'm tired of screwing around with Monster.com, JobCircle,
leveraging friends, talking to thirteen year old recruiters, etc.

Lucky me - I didn't sell my shop and tools.

When I got out of the business I had an idea to concentrate on making
high end desks for corporate executives and such. I did a little
sketching but didn't go too far down that road because I got a job
before I had time to flesh things out.

Now I'm revisiting the concept.

I have some ideas of my own but won't share them now because I'd
rather hear some considered opinion, not muddied by any initial
direction from me.

The only thing that I will say is that my intent is to go into a
nonexistant market, where price is not a consideration and design and
execution is everything.

I have four C level clients who only ask that I make them something
at least as cool as the cabinets that I have made for them in the
past.

That said and individual variations aside, what I would like to take a
survey on is what elements the hard core guys on this group think
should be included in, dare I name it, The Ultimate Executive Desk.

Nakashima type minimalism is a non-starter.

Modern, or anything that is more glass and metal than wood - is
anathema.

Functionality is key but it can't conflict with the heirloom
possibilities of the piece - i.e. I don't want to include tech stuff
that has a half life of Moore's Law or less.

I can tell you that over extension drawers are a requirement but the
hardware can not show.

I can tell you that fit outs for printers and scanners, etc. are
required but the fittings must be as nonspecific as possible.

I'd like to hear about woods and shapes, veneer v. solid, desk v. desk
and credenza, show hardware v. invisible hardware, security features,
exposed v. hidden joinery, wire handling, adjustable desk top height,
adjustable keyboard height, keyboard slideouts that don't look like
keyboard slideouts, finishes, secret booze compartments, secret
compartments in general, ball feet, bun feet, ball and claw feet (of
all styles), hanging files v. manila files, panic buttons, autolift
compartment functions, KD ability, full extension drawers without
visible hardware, pop up two sided flat screens, included speaker
cabinets, stand up desks, drawer divider systems, selling the green
desk, reconfigurable solutions of modular elements, what makes this
desk special, roll tops, secretary desks, totally tambour, ...

You get the idea.

I'm trolling for the coolest stuff to include and what to specifically
exclude.

The desk I have in the shop now is very traditional. It has a
rectangular top, two file drawers, four additional flanker drawers, a
pencil drawer with a secret document compartment - and a price of
twelve thousand dollars.

(hand selected solid cherry - flamed on top and front, turned and
fluted quarter columns and legs, bun feet, rubbed lacquer finish, all
hand cut joinery.)

I know this Rec to be a fetid swamp of ideas.

I'd like to hear them.

Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:20:30 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

Functionality is key but it can't conflict with the heirloom
possibilities of the piece - i.e. I don't want to include tech stuff
that has a half life of Moore's Law or less.

I can tell you that over extension drawers are a requirement but the
hardware can not show.

I can tell you that fit outs for printers and scanners, etc. are
required but the fittings must be as nonspecific as possible.

I would imagine that you wouldn't have to worry about technology at
all.

Does anyone of importance still use a desktop PC with printer and
scanner?

Techie executives I know all run wirelessly from a notebook. The
less-techie higher-ups use a phone, Blackberry, and paper documents.
Like the 1940's, with Blackberries and speaker phones. The printer
is nearby, attached to an ethernet print server. I don't know anyone
with a scanner. The only wire of concern might be a thin power cable
from a DC power supply to the box.

I would imagine that you can think more towards the traditional desk
used for hundreds of years as opposed to the "workstation" of the last
20.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:03:29 +0000, B A R R Y wrote:

I would imagine that you can think more towards the traditional desk
used for hundreds of years as opposed to the "workstation" of the last
20.

I think that's a very good summary of todays executive environment.

For years I used an "executive desk" that was 36x72. My experience
convinced me that 36" is too deep. I could have used the space provided
by a 30" or 32" by 80" much better.

I'd also suggest the traditional 3 drawers with writing pullouts on both
sides. A bookcase built into one side would also be nice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:43:03 -0700, Larry Blanchard wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:03:29 +0000, B A R R Y wrote:

I would imagine that you can think more towards the traditional desk
used for hundreds of years as opposed to the "workstation" of the last
20.

I think that's a very good summary of todays executive environment.

For years I used an "executive desk" that was 36x72. My experience
convinced me that 36" is too deep. I could have used the space provided
by a 30" or 32" by 80" much better.

I think it depends on what you do at the desk...

I had a real estate office and my desk was 38" deep...
It was picked because it was the only desk that I'd ever seen with a 12"
overhang on the "client" side of the desk, so when clients read or signed papers
they didn't have to sit side saddle to do it..

I had a workstation at a right angle to the desk with computer, printer, etc...
That evolved to a laptop/notebook and "docking station" for a real keyboard,
monitor, etc...
If we would have wireless then, the printer and stuff would have been in the
hallway with the copier...
All we had then was a "sneaker net"... hope not too many of ya'll are old enough
to know what that was... lol

mac

Please remove [dot]splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 5:20 pm, Tom Watson wrote:
[...]

Is seeing them okay?
http://shoportunity.net/wooton02.JPG
A Wooton desk - the one in the picture is for sale for $200K

And a variation: http://www.bargainjohn.com/images/F8...esk_best_a.jpg

Even the Canuckistadians had 'em:
http://capitolmuseum.ca.gov/uploaded...ers_wooton.gif

Posted to rec.woodworking

I thought you said you wanted done with
moster.com or it should e mobster.com. now you want to build desks for
the cock suckers? time for you to start anew and think outta the box.
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd like to hear them.

This works for me:

http://www.kevinrodel.com/prairie-desk.shtml
http://www.kevinrodel.com/taliesin-desk.shtml

There's more of his stuff in the Taunton Press book "In the Craftsman
Style".

Simple lines and design for the desk, hardware can go in another
cabinet (which you could also build/sell). Functionality (keyboard
drawers, &tc.) could/should be customized to the user's needs or
wants. Heck, maybe you could convince them to go wireless. And sell
them the stuff.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ross Hebeisen" wrote in message
I thought you said you wanted done with
moster.com or it should e mobster.com. now you want to build desks for
the cock suckers? time for you to start anew and think outta the box.
ross

A fine way to take their money. Don't work cheap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

What market are you trying to serve?

Is this a personal desk complete with an additional conferance table
in the room or a stand alone piece that may double as a conferance
table from time to time?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I find that a decent digital camera does everything that I would
want to do with a scanner and exposes in a hundredth of a second
rather than grinding slowly across the page.

The only wire of concern might be a thin power cable
from a DC power supply to the box.

I would imagine that you can think more towards the traditional desk
used for hundreds of years as opposed to the "workstation" of the
last
20.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

What ever happened to humanity in buisness, there is no reward in 20, 30
or more years of dedication. seems they would all sell their sole to the
devil for the right trade. hey thats it, how bout making caskets for
the hell bound,
seems they all want to invest in their future.
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:58:17 -0400, "J. Clarke" wrote:

I don't know anyone with a scanner.

FWIW, I find that a decent digital camera does everything that I would
want to do with a scanner and exposes in a hundredth of a second
rather than grinding slowly across the page.

We use a scanner/printer to send faxes, but we're sort of in the boonies..

mac

Please remove [dot]splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ross Hebeisen" wrote:

hey thats it, how bout making caskets for
the hell bound,
seems they all want to invest in their future.

Once had a customer who built automated welding systems for things
like caskets.

On one of my visits, they were testing a system prior to shipment.

It was to weld up infant caskets.

Some things you don't forget.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I've got a small pile of digital cameras, and a larger pile of
scanners, and they do NOT do the same jobs for me. Using a digital
camera as a scanner, for example, for files, whether drawings or text
or photos, is a time consuming PITA, while the scanner requires a lift
of the top, insert the page, push the button, and pick a file location
on the computer. Five seconds total, and another 30-45 to scan. Using
a camera to "scan" a photo, for instance, requires specific and
special light set up, selection of file type, some form of space at
least the size of a scanner where I can make sure said photo is flat,
and on. It just isn't worth it unless the photo is too large for the
scanner. Same with plans and text.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 14, 1:04 am, (Ross Hebeisen) wrote:
What ever happened to humanity in buisness, there is no reward in 20, 30
or more years of dedication. seems they would all sell their sole to the
devil for the right trade. hey thats it, how bout making caskets for
the hell bound,
seems they all want to invest in their future.
ross

WTF are you on about? How does this relate to building a desk?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 14, 9:34*am, "BobS" wrote:
Tom,

Were I in your shoes and had a smidgeon of your woodworking talents, I would
be looking at this situation as a marketing issue and not as a technical
design challenge.

For me, I would be looking to hook up with a complimentary business (such as
a high-end, interior decorator firm) where you can leverage their marketing.
Their design sense will lead you to what sells for a particular market. You
can spend a lot of time coming up with a desk design - or spend that time
being more productive by marketing yourself rather than a desk.

I absolutely concur.
"I can build your dream."
Posted to rec.woodworking

"BobS" wrote in message
Tom,

Were I in your shoes and had a smidgeon of your woodworking talents, I
would be looking at this situation as a marketing issue and not as a
technical design challenge.

For me, I would be looking to hook up with a complimentary business (such
as a high-end, interior decorator firm) where you can leverage their
marketing. Their design sense will lead you to what sells for a particular
market. You can spend a lot of time coming up with a desk design - or
spend that time being more productive by marketing yourself rather than a
desk.

As an old marketing guy, I concur. You got hellova portfolio. Don't limit
yourself. There are a hundred professionals out there who would love to have
a man of your considrable talents in their rolodex. Do whatever is reqired
to get the word out there, including a good web presence.

And don't be too proud to take on smaller jobs to get yourself extablished
in your new marketing niche. Problem solvers are worth their weight in
gold. Just think of yourself as a knight in shining armor with considerable
woodworking skills. Make sure other folks think of you in the same way.

And as this thing develops, you may end up in a whole different area than
you originally planned for. Stay flexible. Go to where the opportunities
are.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 8:35 pm, Tom Watson wrote:
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 RicodJour wrote:
On Apr 13, 5:20 pm, Tom Watson wrote:

{massive blog snipped}
I edited to highlight the pertinent parts in your original post.
You're welcome!

[...]

Yes, you're looking for an unpaid research assistant. ~

I'm trolling for the coolest stuff to include and what to specifically
exclude.

The desk I have in the shop now is very traditional. It has a
rectangular top, two file drawers, four additional flanker drawers, a
pencil drawer with a secret document compartment - and a price of
twelve thousand dollars.

(hand selected solid cherry - flamed on top and front, turned and
fluted quarter columns and legs, bun feet, rubbed lacquer finish, all
hand cut joinery.)

I know this Rec to be a fetid swamp of ideas.

I'd like to hear them.

Is seeing them okay?
http://shoportunity.net/wooton02.JPG
A Wooton desk - the one in the picture is for sale for $200K

And a variation:http://www.bargainjohn.com/images/F8...esk_best_a.jpg

Even the Canuckistadians had 'em:
http://capitolmuseum.ca.gov/uploaded...um/The_Museum/...

You have a flawed concept of Normal.

You have a flawed concept of courtesy. At no point did you ask for
Normal or even normal. Then again, I didn't ask for courtesy in a
reply so maybe I shouldn't be surprised I didn't get it.

If normal is what you're trying to do, why do you even need any input
at all? Why do you need input on what _woods_ to use? I'm glad I
didn't add anything on ball vs. bun feet, as you asked - I don't think
I could have weathered the scorn.

You ask for input on something different for some deep pocket people,
something special, and that's exactly what I posted. If nothing else,
you can get an almost unlimited number of ideas from the exuberance of
a Wooton desk.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:20:30 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

snipped a bunch

My new company was suitably embarrased and provided a nice pacakage to
make my layoff more palatable - but I was still a fifty-seven year old
guy looking for a job.

****ed me off.

I can relate. A year older at the time, and the embarrassment of the
Corporation was when the consolidation/globalization strategy was
determined to be a failure not what was happening to me and mine.

My choice was to work a transfer to the frozen north or negotiate a
severance package and go my own way. Chose the latter.

Well, I'm tired of screwing around with Monster.com, JobCircle,
leveraging friends, talking to thirteen year old recruiters, etc.

Lucky me - I didn't sell my shop and tools.

Glad you have a plan. Mine was to move to the Gulf Coast and
specialize in marine joinery. Then came Katrina.......marine joinery
doesn't seem to be a priority need at this time. Plus lost a bunch of
my equipment and supplies down there.

When I got out of the business I had an idea to concentrate on making
high end desks for corporate executives and such. I did a little
sketching but didn't go too far down that road because I got a job
before I had time to flesh things out.

Now I'm revisiting the concept.

I have some ideas of my own but won't share them now because I'd
rather hear some considered opinion, not muddied by any initial
direction from me.

Believe the need to be fairly variable by style, personality, and
activity. I had the traditional big fancy wooden desk and credenza,
more for status (not my desire, inherited it) than for any functional
reason. When in the office, spent most of the time turned to the
computer work station where almost all the communication and work took
place. But my management style was "walkabout" Preferred to spend my
time on the factory floor or the new product lab asking questions to
stimulate thought or to offer encouragement. I hardly needed a desk.

I think you will need to be flexible. Custom to the individual. And
technology is changing so fast, hard to get locked into any particular
design.

Most execs. are hot for meeting room conference tables, and adding
tech hook ups for power point projectors and the like is a thought
although many hang from the ceiling these days.

Frank

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 07:00:43 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

You have a flawed concept of courtesy. At no point did you ask for
Normal or even normal. Then again, I didn't ask for courtesy in a
reply so maybe I shouldn't be surprised I didn't get it.

If normal is what you're trying to do, why do you even need any input
at all? Why do you need input on what _woods_ to use? I'm glad I
didn't add anything on ball vs. bun feet, as you asked - I don't think
I could have weathered the scorn.

You ask for input on something different for some deep pocket people,
something special, and that's exactly what I posted. If nothing else,
you can get an almost unlimited number of ideas from the exuberance of
a Wooton desk.

Sorry. I thought I was being funny.

Apparently not.

Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 20:35:58 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

You have a flawed concept of Normal.

I'll admit I thought of the Wooton desk - with a grin. A prototype would
keep you too busy to worry for quite some time :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 07:00:43 -0700, RicodJour wrote:

You have a flawed concept of courtesy. At no point did you ask for
Normal or even normal. Then again, I didn't ask for courtesy in a
reply so maybe I shouldn't be surprised I didn't get it.

Ease up! He was joking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:41:50 -0700, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 20:35:58 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

You have a flawed concept of Normal.

I'll admit I thought of the Wooton desk - with a grin. A prototype would
keep you too busy to worry for quite some time :-).

I tried to rip off the Wooten some years back for a computer desk
design but it was too much of a Swiss Army Knife... a SAK that looks
like a refrigerator.

Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 14, 11:59 am, Tom Watson wrote:

Sorry. I thought I was being funny.

Apparently not.

Maybe funny, just not in a normal way.
No harm, no foul.

I've dabbled, drooled and dribbled over desk designs. The Wooton is a
pip. Some of the examples are nicer than any of those high falutin'
Newport secretaries (at least the four legged kind). It seems to me
that you could probably incorporate some new features into one. You
could have it double/triple as a safe room and fallout shelter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 14, 1:46*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Apr 14, 11:59 am, Tom Watson wrote:

Sorry. *I thought I was being funny.

Apparently not.

Maybe funny, just not in a normal way. *
No harm, no foul.

I've dabbled, drooled and dribbled over desk designs. *The Wooton is a
pip. *Some of the examples are nicer than any of those high falutin'
Newport secretaries (at least the four legged kind). *It seems to me
that you could probably incorporate some new features into one. *You
could have it double/triple as a safe room and fallout shelter.

I dont know if its an executive feature but I always liked the desks
that have the monitor recessed inside with a piece of glass overtop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:

That said and individual variations aside, what I would like to take a
survey on is what elements the hard core guys on this group think
should be included in, dare I name it, The Ultimate Executive Desk.

I'm with Lee Michaels. Be a problem-solver and don't limit yourself.
However, on the topics of desks, I have just two factors: ergonomics and
visual impact.

Visual impact is just that...many higher-ups want to have office
furniture that will impress others coming into the office, while others
will want to tone it down a bit. You'll need to find out what they're
trying to accomplish and build accordingly.

I'm a software designer and work at a computer all day long, so I'm
highly sensitive to computer ergonomics.

Too many regular desks are too high for effective computer use. For
comfort when using a computer for long periods of time, elbows should be
bent at roughly 90 degrees. For most people, this means that the
keyboard and mouse should be as low as possible over the knees (so no
apron or drawer under the keyboard tray). The mouse should be at the
same level as the keyboard, and right beside it. This means that for
ambidextrous use the keyboard tray needs to be on the order of 48" wide.

The top of the monitor should be even with the user's eyes, or a bit
lower. The keyboard should be directly in front of the monitor, not off
to the side.

Room lighting should be above the monitor or slightly behind it, but not
so far away that it is distracting for the user. Lights in front of the
monitor (and windows behind the user) tend to cause screen glare.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:09:08 -0700 (PDT), depictureboy
wrote:

I dont know if its an executive feature but I always liked the desks
that have the monitor recessed inside with a piece of glass overtop.

That's not executive, that's the ticket counter @ JFK. G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking

A lot of replies, but this is such a good topic, I feel compelled to throw
in my two cents.

If the goal is custom, then I think a consideration of what may be deemed
"custom" for the client.

My mind initially thought of the Andy Rooney desk I see on his 60 minutes
segments. A long time ago Andy dedicated his segment to his desk. It is a
top made from a slab cut from a tree. To my eyes it is a terrific custom
piece to adorn a desk. Below this top I think it is standard drawers.

If the goal is something unusual, then such a slab of a tree is a great top.
As for the cabinet beneath, well lots of potential.

A recent high tech idea is a "pop-up" LCD/plasma display. I am considering
this for a home LCD purchase. There are several mechanisms around. I did a
google search to see what is available.

The executives likely will love whatever they feel is not otherwise
available. Maybe "pop-up" displays will soon be the norm, but as of today,
they are unusual.

I also like drawers or doors which open themselves after an initial click.
Another example where hardware is available.

I think the "wow" factor helps in the executive decision process.

Dave Paine.

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply.

What I'm seeing a lot of is guys who drop a laptop onto a port
replicator at work and this allows them the use of a larger desktop
screen, instant hookup to the CAT 5 network, USB connection to a
local printer, card reader connection, scanner connection, etc.

Many seem to like using a local printer, rather than the networked
one, because of security and not having to wait in line - same for the
scanner.

Many also seem to want storage for at least some files that are either
sensitive, or that they are currently working with.

I'd like to walk a line between dedicating space to specific hardware
and simply creating generic space that can be used for the hardware.

My own setup is more or less like this. I have a slide out that
handles a printer and a scanner. I use a 22" flat screen monitor
(because I'm an Excel junky and I love how many columns I can see) and
I use a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse.

Like you, I'm thinking of staying with a traditional desk design,
while allowing (or, at least thinking about) how the hardware can live
in the desk without taking it over, visually.

Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:03:29 +0000, B A R R Y wrote:

I would imagine that you can think more towards the traditional desk
used for hundreds of years as opposed to the "workstation" of the last
20.

I think that's a very good summary of todays executive environment.

For years I used an "executive desk" that was 36x72. My experience
convinced me that 36" is too deep. I could have used the space provided
by a 30" or 32" by 80" much better.

I'd also suggest the traditional 3 drawers with writing pullouts on both
sides. A bookcase built into one side would also be nice.

Thanks for the reply.

That is an interesting point about the depth and length.

I need to balance what is actually needed to do work against the
desire of the client to impress people. I suppose that will vary per
individual but I'm trying to come up with a norm that I can use to
begin designing from.

I like the bookcase idea but worry about the user having to bend over
and move the chair to get to the books. Something to continue to
think about.

I'm a bit surprised by your comment about the writing pullouts. I've
had desks with them but didn't use them because all that I have seen
have drooped and I didn't like the feeling of writing on an out of
level surface. Perhaps, if that problem could be solved without a lot
of nasty hardware showing, it would be a useful item.

Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:57:43 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for replying.

I like the overhang idea and I wonder if it could be incorporated into
the design without being a separate item, or without having the
overhang detract from the overall look.

Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 14, 11:59 am, Tom Watson wrote:

Sorry. I thought I was being funny.

Apparently not.

Don't give up your daytime job...

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:34:21 -0400, "BobS" wrote:

Tom,

Were I in your shoes and had a smidgeon of your woodworking talents, I would
be looking at this situation as a marketing issue and not as a technical
design challenge.

For me, I would be looking to hook up with a complimentary business (such as
a high-end, interior decorator firm) where you can leverage their marketing.
Their design sense will lead you to what sells for a particular market. You
can spend a lot of time coming up with a desk design - or spend that time
being more productive by marketing yourself rather than a desk.

Bob S.

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
.. .
As some of you know, about five years ago I gave up the cabinet shop
and entered corporate life as project manager for a millwork company.

snipe......

Thanks for the reply.

I agree with you basically on all counts.

I need to go through the design process, so that I have something to
bring to the table other than labor.

Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:57:19 -0500, Frank Boettcher
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:20:30 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

snipped a bunch

[...]

Too many good thoughts in there to address individually but I
appreciate your response.

Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 12:21:41 -0600, Chris Friesen
wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:

[...]

I'm with you on the difference between show and go for varying
clients.

On the ergonomic side - I need to solve that without having the
Frankenstein hardware that is out there now for keyboard trays. I
have some thoughts but nothing yet on paper.

Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:35:01 -0400, (J T)
wrote:

Sun, Apr 13, 2008, 5:20pm From:
(Tom*Watson)
As some of you know, about five years ago I gave up the cabinet shop and
entered corporate life as project manager for a millwork company. snip

Hi'ya Tom. I don't come around here often anymore, too.l. I don't
know what, but it is now. Never glance at more than the first two pages
anymore, so just happened to see this thread. I'm one of the 10%, I
didn'tr know. Getting laid off is a bummer. I didn't exactly get laid
off, unless you can call retting unemployed because they want out of
business laid off. Happened twice. Either way, it sucks.

A major portion of my military time was spent running a desk. Only
one was wood, that I can reall off hand. One thing I really liked about
it was it came down to the floor all around, not just the legs. That
way I could slip off my dress boots and no one would know. One feature
I would have liked would have been some sor of foot rest uner it.d

Personally, my view on an 'executive desk' is it's usually a
wheelbarrow load of money spend on a desk for a guy that doesn't do any
work anyway. Faux painted MDF would probably do for most of 'em, most
of 'em probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

JOAT
10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker

I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.

Thanks for the reply.

A privacy screen for the boot hiding is certainly an option.

As far as the "wheelbarrow load of money" - I want that - right in my
pocket.

Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:45:35 -0400, "Tyke" wrote:

[...]

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I'm with you on the idea of Custom and the Wow Factor.

I need to start drawing soon and will try to come up with some stuff
that embraces both.