Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default Laid Off and Executive Desk Design

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:43:03 -0700, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:03:29 +0000, B A R R Y wrote:

I would imagine that you can think more towards the traditional desk
used for hundreds of years as opposed to the "workstation" of the last
20.

I think that's a very good summary of todays executive environment.

For years I used an "executive desk" that was 36x72. My experience
convinced me that 36" is too deep. I could have used the space provided
by a 30" or 32" by 80" much better.

I'd also suggest the traditional 3 drawers with writing pullouts on both
sides. A bookcase built into one side would also be nice.

Thanks for the reply.

That is an interesting point about the depth and length.

I need to balance what is actually needed to do work against the
desire of the client to impress people. I suppose that will vary per
individual but I'm trying to come up with a norm that I can use to
begin designing from.

I like the bookcase idea but worry about the user having to bend over
and move the chair to get to the books. Something to continue to
think about.

I'm a bit surprised by your comment about the writing pullouts. I've
had desks with them but didn't use them because all that I have seen
have drooped and I didn't like the feeling of writing on an out of
level surface. Perhaps, if that problem could be solved without a lot
of nasty hardware showing, it would be a useful item.

Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1