Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Laid Off and Executive Desk Design

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 10:09:03 -0700 (PDT), Fred the Red Shirt
wrote:

On Apr 14, 11:59 am, Tom Watson wrote:

Sorry. I thought I was being funny.

Apparently not.

Don't give up your daytime job...

Too late.

Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

I like the overhang idea and I wonder if it could be incorporated into
the design without being a separate item, or without having the
overhang detract from the overall look.

Could it fold (ala table top)? or retract (ala writing pullouts)?

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote in
:

*snip*

On the ergonomic side - I need to solve that without having the
Frankenstein hardware that is out there now for keyboard trays. I
have some thoughts but nothing yet on paper.

Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

My middle desk drawer is held in place by two wooden runners, just like
the other drawers in my desk. You could do the same with a keyboard
tray, and even make the keyboard tray removable and a middle desk drawer
an option so those of us (them?) with laptops don't have a useless
keyboard tray.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
What I'm seeing a lot of is guys who drop a laptop onto a port
replicator at work and this allows them the use of a larger desktop
screen, instant hookup to the CAT 5 network, USB connection to a
local printer, card reader connection, scanner connection, etc.

We have one of those

Many seem to like using a local printer, rather than the networked
one, because of security and not having to wait in line - same for the
scanner.

We have eight computers, ten printers. Laser printers are good quality and
very cheap so it is not a big deal for everyone to have thier own. I also
have an inkjet for color. In our office, no one has a printer on the desk,
but rather on the side or the credenza.

..

My own setup is more or less like this. I have a slide out that
handles a printer and a scanner. I use a 22" flat screen monitor
(because I'm an Excel junky and I love how many columns I can see) and
I use a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse.

Like you, I'm thinking of staying with a traditional desk design,
while allowing (or, at least thinking about) how the hardware can live
in the desk without taking it over, visually.

In our office, the smallest desks are 36 x 72. Executive desks are
generally that or larger but I'd think that most want only the monitor,
keyboard, and mouse on top. I'd tuck the printer or scanner in a separate
piece of furniture or stand rather than give up drawer space.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:

I can tell you that over extension drawers are a requirement but the
hardware can not show.

Undermount hardware. Saw it in FWW yesterday in Lowes. Full review of 9
models. Pricy, but for what you want that shouldn't be a problem.