Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default Laid Off and Executive Desk Design

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:03:29 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:20:30 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

Functionality is key but it can't conflict with the heirloom
possibilities of the piece - i.e. I don't want to include tech stuff
that has a half life of Moore's Law or less.

I can tell you that over extension drawers are a requirement but the
hardware can not show.

I can tell you that fit outs for printers and scanners, etc. are
required but the fittings must be as nonspecific as possible.

I would imagine that you wouldn't have to worry about technology at
all.

Does anyone of importance still use a desktop PC with printer and
scanner?

Techie executives I know all run wirelessly from a notebook. The
less-techie higher-ups use a phone, Blackberry, and paper documents.
Like the 1940's, with Blackberries and speaker phones. The printer
is nearby, attached to an ethernet print server. I don't know anyone
with a scanner. The only wire of concern might be a thin power cable
from a DC power supply to the box.

I would imagine that you can think more towards the traditional desk
used for hundreds of years as opposed to the "workstation" of the last
20.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Thanks for the reply.

What I'm seeing a lot of is guys who drop a laptop onto a port
replicator at work and this allows them the use of a larger desktop
screen, instant hookup to the CAT 5 network, USB connection to a
local printer, card reader connection, scanner connection, etc.

Many seem to like using a local printer, rather than the networked
one, because of security and not having to wait in line - same for the
scanner.

Many also seem to want storage for at least some files that are either
sensitive, or that they are currently working with.

I'd like to walk a line between dedicating space to specific hardware
and simply creating generic space that can be used for the hardware.

My own setup is more or less like this. I have a slide out that
handles a printer and a scanner. I use a 22" flat screen monitor
(because I'm an Excel junky and I love how many columns I can see) and
I use a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse.

Like you, I'm thinking of staying with a traditional desk design,
while allowing (or, at least thinking about) how the hardware can live
in the desk without taking it over, visually.

Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1