Your Name Here

Default Hardwood Dance Floor (somewhat off-topic)

Hello. I am planning to install a hardwood dance floor in my basement
on top of concrete. My plan is to put moisture barrier plastic on top
of the concrete, then rubber blocks, then plywood on top of these
blocks, and then finally, nail down the floor planks. From what I'm
reading on the net, the floor needs to be "sprung" with some resilience
so that there is some "give"; otherwise, it's bad for dancing and people
will end up hurting their knees, angles etc after doing many hours of
practice. I have some questions that maybe some folks with experience
in installing hardwood floor can answer.

- To make the floor sprung, I can get some rubber blocks that can be
install on top of the concrete. I haven't been able to find any info
about these rubber blocks. Any idea where I can get these? what brand?

- To prevent warping from moisture, I am planning to put a moisture
barrier on top of the concrete. Does it make sense to also coat the
plywood and the bottom surface of the wood flooring planks with
something like linseed oil to prevent moisture absorption? or is it not
worth it? anything else that might work better than linseed oil?

- From what I understand, it's best to dance directly on the wood and
so, I don't plan to put any kind of poly finish for the surface of the
floor. But I do want to protect it. I am thinking of adding 2-3 layers
of some kind of protective oil like tung oil that will add beauty to the
wood, fill in the pores to prevent dust getting in them and turning the
wood into a dull, dark gray color. Can anyone recommend any other
finishing options? There is something called dance floor wax but I have
heard many bad things about it.

Thanks for all the help.

-Moe
Wilson Lamb

Blocks=Bumps!
I'd use a continuous flex layer, like carpet pad.
I'd also get some cheap mistake paint, usually $3/gal, and put heavy coats
on both sides of the ply....And seal the membrane around the sides.
Keep the dehumidifier ready too, just in case!
Wilson
"Your Name Here" wrote in message
ell.edu...
[...]

Chris Merrill

Your Name Here wrote:
floor. But I do want to protect it. I am thinking of adding 2-3 layers
of some kind of protective oil like tung oil that will add beauty to the

That will make it look nice, but will NOT protect the wood from physical wear.
You need a film finish (shellac, poly, varnish, laquer, oil-vanish blends, etc.).

--
************************************
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)
************************************

C Carruth

Check with companies that install dance floors for a living, which can be
found in trade magazines, fitness magazines, etc.

You should be able to source thier underdecking, which is designed for
exactly what you are talking about. Dance floors are not like putting in
other types of hardwood floors. You will save yourself headache and
heartache down the road by consulting with professionals upfront.

[...]

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 16:42:17 -0500, Your Name Here
wrote:

- To make the floor sprung, I can get some rubber blocks that can be
install on top of the concrete.

If you have the height, spring it properly. Traditional way was to
build a "forest" of short stub posts, fasten wooden "springs" to these
(horizontal wooden bars, of ash or maple) and then build a framework
supported on the free ends of the spring bars. Then lay the flooring
over the frame.

Rubber isn't the same thing at all. Blocks are lumpy (and not springy
enough), a sheet layer isn't thick or spring enough. I think some
modern floors have used air springs (thick rubbber balloons).

You definitely need a frame between the springs and the flooring
material, especially with modern thin laminates.

Frank McVey

Hi Moe,

You've already had sensible answers to the other points, so I'll just
address the dance floor wax issue. Back in my youth, when people still did
ballroom dancing here in UK, there was a waxy substance called "Slipperene".
It came as a waxy powder which was sprinkled over a dance-floor to allow
your feet to slide better (presumably when you were doing a soft-shoe
shuffle or a palais glide), much in the same way as you might "dress" a
bowling alley lane. It didn't have anything to do with finishing - it was
just to make it easier to do the sorts of dances we did at that time. I
imagine it would cause havoc if you tried break-dancing on it - that might
be why you've heard some bad press about it!

Best of luck with your project,

Cheers,

Frank

[...]

Rob Bowman

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 16:42:17 -0500, Your Name Here emerged from the woodpile
and uttered:

Hello. I am planning to install a hardwood dance floor in my basement
on top of concrete...

Perhaps talking to someone who fits out squash courts might give you some ideas?

Cheers,
Rob.
Remove all capital letters to get real email address
Fred Miner

"mrdancer" wrote in message m...
"T." wrote in message
Thu, Nov 6, 2003, 4:18pm (EST+5) (mrdancer) puts
out:
I have problems with it snip dance in athletic shoes. Proper dance
attire snip decent wooden dance floor.

Ah, not dancing to have fun then. LOL In the Army, in VA, in the
early 60s, used to attend weekend dances. In a barn. The farmer would
sweep out a part of the barn that had a smooth, concrete floor, live
band, refreshments, and we'd have fun. If you went back a bit, out of
the light, you'd find the cow stantions, complete with milk cows. I
don't think there was a soul there that would have said it wasn't a
proper dance floor. And, yeah, I've done ballroom dancing, and with
leather sole shoe on;, but, wouldn't say it was a bit more fun than
those weekends in a barn. The proper part is enjoying yourself.

I guess it's all in what the OP wants. Almost anything is fine for
partying, beer-drinking, buckle-polishing dancing, or even line- and
square-dancing, but it takes a quality dance floor with no additives for
serious dancing.

Sorry for the rant.... I've just had too many nights of good
C/W/Cajun/Tejano/Ballroom dancing ended prematurely by athletic-shoe-clad
folks wanting the floor powdered so they could "slide" properly, or so they
thought.

And I thought I was the only one who left when they sprinkled that
**** on the floor. If you're wearing proper dance shoes, that stuff
is dangerous.

Fred
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 19:22:00 GMT, "mrdancer"
wrote:

Sorry for the rant.... I've just had too many nights of good
C/W/Cajun/Tejano/Ballroom dancing ended prematurely by athletic-shoe-clad
folks wanting the floor powdered so they could "slide" properly, or so they
thought.

Here in the UK we use an extra-grip anti-slide additive on our
dancefloors.

Beer.

mrdancer

"Fred Miner" wrote in message
om...
"mrdancer" wrote in message

m...
"T." wrote in message
[...]

Yep, gotta get there early, like 7-7:30pm and get your dancing in. By
around 9pm or so, the buckle-polishing, tennis-shoe patrons get tipsy enough
to want to dance and convince the staff that the floor needs powder. That's
when my (dancing) night ends.

hardwood in Dayton, OH Woodworking 6 September 27th 03 04:32 AM
screw holes in maple hardwood floor blue Woodworking 10 July 16th 03 07:18 PM