Wilson Lamb

Default Hardwood Dance Floor (somewhat off-topic)

Blocks=Bumps!
I'd use a continuous flex layer, like carpet pad.
I'd also get some cheap mistake paint, usually $3/gal, and put heavy coats
on both sides of the ply....And seal the membrane around the sides.
Keep the dehumidifier ready too, just in case!
Wilson
"Your Name Here" wrote in message
ell.edu...
Hello. I am planning to install a hardwood dance floor in my basement
on top of concrete. My plan is to put moisture barrier plastic on top
of the concrete, then rubber blocks, then plywood on top of these
blocks, and then finally, nail down the floor planks. From what I'm
reading on the net, the floor needs to be "sprung" with some resilience
so that there is some "give"; otherwise, it's bad for dancing and people
will end up hurting their knees, angles etc after doing many hours of
practice. I have some questions that maybe some folks with experience
in installing hardwood floor can answer.

- To make the floor sprung, I can get some rubber blocks that can be
install on top of the concrete. I haven't been able to find any info
about these rubber blocks. Any idea where I can get these? what brand?

- To prevent warping from moisture, I am planning to put a moisture
barrier on top of the concrete. Does it make sense to also coat the
plywood and the bottom surface of the wood flooring planks with
something like linseed oil to prevent moisture absorption? or is it not
worth it? anything else that might work better than linseed oil?

- From what I understand, it's best to dance directly on the wood and
so, I don't plan to put any kind of poly finish for the surface of the
floor. But I do want to protect it. I am thinking of adding 2-3 layers
of some kind of protective oil like tung oil that will add beauty to the
wood, fill in the pores to prevent dust getting in them and turning the
wood into a dull, dark gray color. Can anyone recommend any other
finishing options? There is something called dance floor wax but I have
heard many bad things about it.

Thanks for all the help.

-Moe