Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Old Farts Part II

(This is supposedly a true account recorded in the Police Log of
Sarasota Florida)

An elderly Florida lady did her shopping and, upon returning to her car,
fuond four males in the act of leaving with her vehicle.

She dropped her shoppingbags and drew her handgun, proceeding to scream
at the top of her lung, “I have a gun, and I know how to use it! Get
out of the car!”

The four men didn’t wait for asecond threat. They got out and ran like
mad.

The lady, somewhat shaken, then proceeded to load her shopping bags int
the back of the car and got into the driver’s seat. She was so shaken
that she could not get her key into the ignition.

She tried and tried, and then she realized why. It ws for the same
reason she had wondered why there was a football, a Frisbee and two
12-packs of beer in the front seat.

A few minutes later, she found her won car parked four or five spaces
further down.

She loaded her bags into the car and drove to the nearest police station
to report her mistake.

The sergeant to who she told the story couldn’t stop laughing.

He pointed to the other end of the counter, where four pale men were
reporting a car jacking by a mad, elderly woman described as white, less
than five feet tall, glasses, curly white hair, and carrying a large
handgun.

No charges were filed.

Moral of the story?

If you’re going to have a senior moment . . . Make it memorable.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Old Farts Part II

"charlieb" wrote in message
Snip

A few minutes later, she found her won car parked four or five spaces
further down.

Many years ago my grand mother came to town to visit. She lived in a tiny
town of about 500. She and my mother went grocery shopping. My grand
mother got tired and told my mother that she was going back to the car and
would wait for her. You guessed it, my mother did not find my grand mother
at the car but did find her several cars down in a "similar" car patiently
waiting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Allen Roy" wrote:

Urban legand making the rounds again. See the following:

Time to drag out Ripley's "Believe it or not" again.

Makes the perceived problem go away.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message

(This is supposedly a true account recorded in the Police Log of
Sarasota Florida)

An elderly Florida lady did her shopping and, upon returning to her car,
fuond four males in the act of leaving with her vehicle.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/justice/grannies.asp

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 13, 1:08*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
"charlieb" wrote in message

(This is supposedly a true account recorded in the Police Log of
Sarasota Florida)

An elderly Florida lady did her shopping and, upon returning to her car,
fuond four males in the act of leaving with her vehicle.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/justice/grannies.asp

It warms my heart to know that Mr. Devin stands on guard for me. Armed
with the power of Snopes, he protects from that (heretofore unknown)
evil side of the Internet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:18:03 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"charlieb" wrote in message
Snip

A few minutes later, she found her won car parked four or five spaces
further down.

Many years ago my grand mother came to town to visit. She lived in a tiny
town of about 500. She and my mother went grocery shopping. My grand
mother got tired and told my mother that she was going back to the car and
would wait for her. You guessed it, my mother did not find my grand mother
at the car but did find her several cars down in a "similar" car patiently
waiting.

I very often drop my wife off at the door of the establishment she
wishes to terrorize and park in some shady spot to wait for her. I
once watched her come out of the place, walk to a similar looking
vehicle as ours, open the door, and get in. I couldn't tell who was
more surprised; her or the guy who was sitting in the driver's seat
waiting for his wife.

Would that she only did it once...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg G." wrote in message

An elderly Florida lady did her shopping and, upon returning to her
car,
fuond four males in the act of leaving with her vehicle.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/justice/grannies.asp

It warms my heart to know that Mr. Devin stands on guard for me. Armed
with the power of Snopes, he protects from that (heretofore unknown)
evil side of the Internet.

It's a heavy burden, but one someone must bear. If we display gullibility
by letting these urban myths go unchallenged, who knows, one day politicians
might be tempted to be less than truthful with us, and imagine what a
horrible world that would be. ;^)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 13, 8:15 pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
"Greg G." wrote in message

An elderly Florida lady did her shopping and, upon returning to her
car,
fuond four males in the act of leaving with her vehicle.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/justice/grannies.asp

It warms my heart to know that Mr. Devin stands on guard for me. Armed
with the power of Snopes, he protects from that (heretofore unknown)
evil side of the Internet.

It's a heavy burden, but one someone must bear. If we display gullibility
by letting these urban myths go unchallenged, who knows, one day politicians
might be tempted to be less than truthful with us, and imagine what a
horrible world that would be. ;^)

Indeed. Then the only way we could tell if one was lying would
be to watch and see if his lips were moving.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well THIS one's absolutely true - because I did it.

There's a little chinese take out place about a half mile from
home. One rainy evening, after dusk, I stopped in on my way
home to get some take out. My windshield defroster wasn't
working well and the windshield was fogging up if I kept the
windows up.

While waiting for my food I grabbed some napkins, got a cup
of water and went out and cleaned the inside of my windshield
in hopes that it would reduce the fogging problem.

Now if you've owned, or been in a Ford Aerostar, you know that
it's quiet a reach to get ALL of the inside of the windshield - and
the lighting wasn't that great, it being a rainy night.

Got the driver's side done and walked around to the passenger
side to do that side of the windshield. Got in and found I was
sitting on a backpack. I figured one of the kids I'd given a ride
home from school had left their back pack.

Only when I had to move the little chinese lantern with the
red silk fringe out of the way to clean the middle of the
windshield - did I realize this wasn't my van. Hadn't even
noticed that THIS aerostar didn't have the kayak roof rack
that's on my van.

Went inside and laughingly told the owner about my OOPS!
He went in the back, said something in chinese and at least
two people in the kitchen started laughing their asses off
- in chinese of course. When he returned, still laughing, he
told me the cook thanks me for cleaning his windshield.

Every time I went into that place to get some food the
owner would yell something in chinese and laughter from
the back would follow.

I figure if it made someone smile, or laugh out loud, well
sharing a screw up that does that sure beats the hell
out of the ones that involve blood and/or bruises.

My name is charlie b and I approved this tale - which is,
swear to god, true.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LRod" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:18:03 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"charlieb" wrote in message
Snip

[...]

Might have been a bigger surprise had both left. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote

Only when I had to move the little chinese lantern with the
red silk fringe out of the way to clean the middle of the
windshield - did I realize this wasn't my van. Hadn't even
noticed that THIS aerostar didn't have the kayak roof rack
that's on my van.

Used to have a passion, and, being relatively young, newly single, and just
out of the service, the time, for steer roping.

AAMOF, had one of the best "heeling" horses around this part of the country,
Rusty, who, being a King Ranch bred "Leo" offspring, had a number of almost
identical cousins (Leo being known to "throw" his type, color and
confirmation, one of the traits which made him a famous sire of cow saavy
quarter horses).

Also had just bought a brand new "Barry Burke" roping saddle, the steer
roping "pay once, cry once" equivalent of a Unisaw to a woodworker ... that
saddle cost me a fortune (no telling how many horses I had to shoe to buy
it, and being newly single of course, didn't have to justify to anyone
.... ).

One Saturday night, the second of a two day rodeo, my roping partner
(header) and I (heeler) drew to rope in the show instead of the after show
"slack" we'd roped in the night before. Turns out that another cowboy from
out of town also had a Leo bred "heading" horse, and, to complicate matters
further, an identical, brand new, BB roping saddle.

Said combination he proceeded to park in the exact same spot on the fence
I'd tied Rusty the night before.

Yep ... in the course of human failings, things have apparently stayed the
same when it comes to getting in/on the wrong "ride".

To shorten the story considerably, I don't know who was more surprised that
night; the horse - who'd never heeled a steer in his life; or me - when that
big Mexican steer hit the end of the rope in a manner new and surprising to
"Rusty", who promptly crow hopped twice and fell over sideways, still 'hard
and fast' to the steer, in front of god and the crowd.

Took us 20 minutes to get that horse and steer loose of each other, and that
brand new saddle (now well broke in) off him so he could get up, and another
two weeks to get the red off my face ... they're probably still laughing in
Bellville.

.... and if DG can find that on snopes, this old fart will kiss his butt.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:18:03 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"charlieb" wrote in message
Snip

[...]

One time I came out of the grocery store, unlocked a beige Volvo
wagon, and put the key in the ignition. I was sitting there trying to
figure out why the ignition wouldn't turn when someone knocked on the
window.

Turns out that it wasn't _my_ beige Volvo wagon, it was someone else's
and mine was several cars down. The weird thing is that my key
unlocked the door but not the ignition.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" told us the tale of the wrong ropin' horse

That story is ten times better than all the "wrong VW" stories I heard
growing up. Good one swingman.

How did the owner of the "wrong" horse react to you making a public display
of your "horse rustlin"?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote

"Swingman" told us the tale of the wrong ropin' horse

That story is ten times better than all the "wrong VW" stories I heard
growing up. Good one swingman.

How did the owner of the "wrong" horse react to you making a public
display of your "horse rustlin"?

At first, he was kinda unsure what to say/do. But, since I was bigger and
meaner ( I was shoeing horses at the time and folks don't normally dis
anyone who wrestles 1200 lb horses all day, every day, and for good reason),
and, particularly when I told him I wouldn't charge him but 'going rate' for
training/teaching his horse how to heel, he got over it pretty quick.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

DGDevin wrote:
"charlieb" wrote in message

(This is supposedly a true account recorded in the Police Log of
Sarasota Florida)

An elderly Florida lady did her shopping and, upon returning to her car,
fuond four males in the act of leaving with her vehicle.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/justice/grannies.asp

Oh, if only there were a woodworking snopes...

--
"Hey, yutz! Guns aren't toys.
They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:31:40 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

One time I came out of the grocery store, unlocked a beige Volvo
wagon, and put the key in the ignition. I was sitting there trying to
figure out why the ignition wouldn't turn when someone knocked on the
window.

Turns out that it wasn't _my_ beige Volvo wagon, it was someone else's
and mine was several cars down. The weird thing is that my key
unlocked the door but not the ignition.

A coworker and I once discovered, at about the same time, that my Ford
van and his Ford sedan were identically keyed. As controllers, we both
worked rotating shifts, of course, and were on different crews, so it
was not uncommon for one of us to come in for a later shift than the
other for relief (figuratively, although sometimes actually, since we
worked in the same area).

For a few weeks after our discovery, we would have to look all over
the parking lot for our respective ride as it seemed hilarious to both
of us to move the others' vehicle before clocking in. Of course it
wasn't nearly as funny after a mid shift...

We tired of it after a while. After all, it wasn't that big a
property. Besides, we weren't that stupid--if Mark came in on a shift
after me, I knew I needn't bother heading to where I'd parked at the
beginning of the shift.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 14, 9:26*am, "Swingman" wrote:

[snipped fabulous story about being able to laugh at yourself.]

, and another
two weeks to get the red off my face ... they're probably still laughing in
Bellville.

... and if DG can find that on snopes, this old fart will kiss his butt.

Funny stuff, Swing.

Great visuals.

People who can laugh at themselves are rich.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

People who can laugh at themselves are rich.

Too damn bad you can't pay your property taxes with a smile!

... then again, it'd take a house full of comedy club patrons at full roar
for these.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 14, 1:14*pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

People who can laugh at themselves are rich.

Too damn bad you can't pay your property taxes with a smile!

*... then again, it'd take a house full of comedy club patrons at full roar
for these.

Property taxes, you say?
A local contractor bought a beachfront house near here about 30 years
ago.
The taxes were based on 'frontage' i.e. road side dimensions. In his
case, about 200'.
Then they changed the tax laws to 'water frontage'
His property is in a bight and therefore wedge shaped. He has about
800' of beach there.
Also, anything over a certain acreage, non farm also has a premium.
TMALSS.. his taxes went from $ 4600.00 to...(you ready for this?) $
39,000.00 per year
He appealed, Too bad, so sad. Mind you, the property is probably worth
4-6 million.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

Also, anything over a certain acreage, non farm also has a premium.
TMALSS.. his taxes went from $ 4600.00 to...(you ready for this?) $
39,000.00 per year
He appealed, Too bad, so sad.

after all, those sucking at the public tit have to have their benefits ...
you know, the ones you can't afford for your family because you're paying
theirs.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
J. Clarke wrote:
LRod wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:18:03 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"charlieb" wrote in message
Snip

[...]

I've had that same experience. Years ago, driving the family car to
"Junior Achievement", I _inevitably_ ended up parked next to another
guy in the company who's family had a virtually identical car. It
didn't matter where we parked, or who got there first, practically
every week we ended up side-by-side. With _poor_ lighting in the parking
area. White 1967 Dodge "Coronet" sedans with a maroon interior. Again, the
keys would open the door, but not work the ignition.

The first time I got into the "unstartable" car I began to figure it out
when it penetrated that the odometer read wrong.

Both the other driver and I learned to pay _real_ close attention
to the license plate numbers. (both plates were 5-digit numbers, 3 of
which were matching, with the 4th being a 6 vs an 8.)