Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi Robert Bonomi is offline

Default Old Farts Part II

In article ,
J. Clarke wrote:
LRod wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:18:03 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"charlieb" wrote in message
Snip

A few minutes later, she found her won car parked four or five
spaces further down.

Many years ago my grand mother came to town to visit. She lived in
a tiny town of about 500. She and my mother went grocery shopping.
My grand mother got tired and told my mother that she was going
back
to the car and would wait for her. You guessed it, my mother did
not find my grand mother at the car but did find her several cars
down in a "similar" car patiently waiting.

I very often drop my wife off at the door of the establishment she
wishes to terrorize and park in some shady spot to wait for her. I
once watched her come out of the place, walk to a similar looking
vehicle as ours, open the door, and get in. I couldn't tell who was
more surprised; her or the guy who was sitting in the driver's seat
waiting for his wife.

Would that she only did it once...

One time I came out of the grocery store, unlocked a beige Volvo
wagon, and put the key in the ignition. I was sitting there trying to
figure out why the ignition wouldn't turn when someone knocked on the
window.

Turns out that it wasn't _my_ beige Volvo wagon, it was someone else's
and mine was several cars down. The weird thing is that my key
unlocked the door but not the ignition.

I've had that same experience. Years ago, driving the family car to
"Junior Achievement", I _inevitably_ ended up parked next to another
guy in the company who's family had a virtually identical car. It
didn't matter where we parked, or who got there first, practically
every week we ended up side-by-side. With _poor_ lighting in the parking
area. White 1967 Dodge "Coronet" sedans with a maroon interior. Again, the
keys would open the door, but not work the ignition.

The first time I got into the "unstartable" car I began to figure it out
when it penetrated that the odometer read wrong.

Both the other driver and I learned to pay _real_ close attention
to the license plate numbers. (both plates were 5-digit numbers, 3 of
which were matching, with the 4th being a 6 vs an 8.)