Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jigsaws

J. Clarke wrote:
Max wrote:
"blueman" wrote:

Yeah my first power tool was a $49 Craftsman jig saw back in about
1974 when I was about 12. That was actually one of their better
jig
saws back then at that price.

But I almost never used it because the thing made so much noise
and
vibrated so much (though at that age my parents wouldn't let me
use
circular saw). The thing also never seemed to cut either fast or
straight.

Then last year, I bought a new 1590 Bosch. It was like a tool from
different planet. It's quiet, doesn't vibrate, cuts smooth, cuts
accurately, and cuts fast. Now I love using it.

To me that was the best indication of why it pays to invest in
good
tools!

I have a Bosch 1584 AVSK and a Bosch 1591 EVSK and they both cut
fast,
smooth and accurately but I wouldn't claim that they are either
quiet
or vibration free.

You never used the 12 buck McGraw-Edison that my Dad got at the Navy
Exchange back in 1965 or thereabouts. A Bosch then was about 180
bucks and try to find one in the US.

I guess I should add that compared to the McGraw-Edison a jackhammer
was quiet and vibration-free.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Max wrote:
"blueman" wrote:

[...]

LOL. I still have a Sears jig saw that I bought early in my woodworking
pursuits. It has to be at least 40 years old.
I admit that my Bosch jig saws are in another class altogether compared to
the Sears but I'm not sure that a totally vibration free, "quiet" jig saw is
capable of being manufactured.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Ranks right up there with the WEN
and the private label unit from
Western Auto.

My first handheld jigsaw was a Wen.
It was a right angle adaptor that chucked
into your drill and secured to the drill
body with a worm-band hose clamp.

Cut several hundred sheets of 3/4 ply with
that thing. Installed A/C registers in my
home using it to cut out the sheetrock and
in a couple of places in the old home,
lath and plaster.

Lumpy

Will you do my answering machine message?
Yes. Who would you like people to think you are?

www.LumpyVoice.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" writes:
"blueman" wrote:

Yeah my first power tool was a $49 Craftsman jig saw back in about
1974 when I was about 12. That was actually one of their better jig
saws back then at that price.

But I almost never used it because the thing made so much noise and
vibrated so much (though at that age my parents wouldn't let me use a
circular saw). The thing also never seemed to cut either fast or straight.

Then last year, I bought a new 1590 Bosch. It was like a tool from a
different planet. It's quiet, doesn't vibrate, cuts smooth, cuts
accurately, and cuts fast. Now I love using it.

To me that was the best indication of why it pays to invest in good
tools!

I have a Bosch 1584 AVSK and a Bosch 1591 EVSK and they both cut fast,
smooth and accurately but I wouldn't claim that they are either quiet or
vibration free.
YMMV

Max

It's all relative. My hand used to fall off and my ears hurt from my
old Craftsman.
Posted to alt.woodworking,rec.woodworking
Rob Rob is offline

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 04:51:30 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Rob wrote:
I was looking for a 120v jigsaw in the $50 range. Local hardware
store
recommended the Skil 4390-01 (Amazon page he
http://www.amazon.com/Skil-4390-01-8.../dp/B000EB547Y
)

Any other ideas? Opinions on the Skil jigsaw?

Thanks!

Yeah, spend the extra for a Bosch. There is no other power tool in
which the difference in performance between cheap and good is as great
as the jigsaw.

I've been meaning to get back to thank everyone for the excellent
info. So you're saying to get the Skil jigsaw, right? Just kidding--
pretty overwhelming endorsement for Bosch in this thread! They must be
doing something right.

Thanks again to all!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Rob is offline

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 12:23:11 GMT, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 05:55:12 GMT, "toolman946 via CraftKB.com"
u40139@uwe wrote:

Having both "D" handle and "barrel" style jigsaws, I'd recommend the "barrel"
style. I think it offers better "feel" and control with that configuration.
And I highly recommend the Bosch blades too, regardless which saw you get.
I've found none better.

Make that two of us. Mine is a top handle and I wish I had purchased
the barrel grip.

I'm surprised. I haven't used a barrel grip, but in looking at them
(powered down in a store) I was wondering why anyone would want that
design. I'll see if I can try one somewhere.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

u40139@uwe wrote:

Having both "D" handle and "barrel" style jigsaws, I'd recommend the
"barrel"
style. I think it offers better "feel" and control with that
configuration.
And I highly recommend the Bosch blades too, regardless which saw you
get.
I've found none better.

Make that two of us. Mine is a top handle and I wish I had purchased
the barrel grip.

I'm surprised. I haven't used a barrel grip, but in looking at them
(powered down in a store) I was wondering why anyone would want that
design. I'll see if I can try one somewhere.

Mine's a barrel grip and I much prefer it to the top handle (having used
both). I think it has something to do with your hand being closer to the
work surface.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

u40139@uwe wrote:

Having both "D" handle and "barrel" style jigsaws, I'd recommend the
"barrel"
style. I think it offers better "feel" and control with that
configuration.
And I highly recommend the Bosch blades too, regardless which saw
you get.
I've found none better.

Make that two of us. Mine is a top handle and I wish I had purchased
the barrel grip.

I'm surprised. I haven't used a barrel grip, but in looking at them
(powered down in a store) I was wondering why anyone would want that
design. I'll see if I can try one somewhere.

Mine's a barrel grip and I much prefer it to the top handle (having
used both). I think it has something to do with your hand being
closer to the work surface.

jc

I've got smallish hands and the barrel grip was not comfortable for me.
I'd recommend holding both and even doing a dry run in the store.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lobby Dosser wrote:

u40139@uwe wrote:

[...]

I find that I don't have much trouble grasping a D-handle saw by the
barrel. This was more convenient on my old one, which had a slide
switch instead of a trigger that had to be latched, but can be done on
the new one.

If someone wanted to take a chance on a newcomer, the Triton
(Australian company) that Sears is currently selling as their
"Craftsman Professional" has a removable D handle and some other
"innovative" features that seem from what I've read to for the most
part actually be useful. I've not used it so can't say how well it
works.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Lobby Dosser" wrote

I've got smallish hands and the barrel grip was not comfortable for me.
I'd recommend holding both and even doing a dry run in the store.

The Bosch 1584 has a barrel that's just about right for my hand but the 1591
is just enough larger to be not quite comfortable.
Go figure !!

Max

Posted to alt.woodworking,rec.woodworking

On Jan 10, 4:51*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Rob wrote:
I was looking for a 120v jigsaw in the $50 range. Local hardware
store
recommended the Skil 4390-01 (Amazon page he
http://www.amazon.com/Skil-4390-01-8.../dp/B000EB547Y
)

Any other ideas? Opinions on the Skil jigsaw?

Thanks!

Yeah, spend the extra for a Bosch. *There is no other power tool in
which the difference in performance between cheap and good is as great
as the jigsaw.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
I'v never used an expensive power tool
for me "Black and Decker" does it all
although my drill could be better

Quality Jigsaws The Medway Handyman UK diy 39 October 10th 06 02:50 AM
bosch jigsaws mark Woodworking 8 February 27th 06 06:20 PM
Cheapo jigsaws: OK for worktops? [email protected] UK diy 15 June 16th 05 08:16 PM
Two Barrel grip jigsaws: Which is best? Never Enough Money Woodworking 10 December 24th 04 09:56 PM
Jigsaws for moderate use... Squanklin Woodworking 11 December 16th 04 06:54 PM