Default Cheapo jigsaws: OK for worktops?

Cheapo jugsaw at =A310.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=3D11932

Are these OK for cutting 40mm worktops?

At these prices, use once and throw away!

bruce

Grunff

Cheapo jugsaw at £10.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=11932

Are these OK for cutting 40mm worktops?

As long as you don't mind it cutting where it wants to, and not
following the line you want, they're fine.

At these prices, use once and throw away!

And throw away the worktop too. :-)

Seriously, while the saw will 'cut' the worktop, you will have almost
zero control over where the cut goes. Even my fairly decent Bosch jigsaw
can have difficulty with 40mm worktop.

For straight cuts, you'd be better off with a circular saw. If you need
to do curves, you really need to buy or hire a decent jigsaw.

--
Grunff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
Cheapo jugsaw at £10.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=11932

Are these OK for cutting 40mm worktops?

At these prices, use once and throw away!

Depends how accurate the cuts needed. If simply for an insert sink, etc,
maybe ok.

But with jigsaws - perhaps more than most - you really do have to pay for
accuracy.

And they're very versatile tools. I use mine for sheet metal cutting too.
But for that you want a soft start vari-speed device.

Also, blade changing can be a pain on some.

I love my Bosch SDS. ;-)

--
*Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John Rumm

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=11932

Are these OK for cutting 40mm worktops?

At these prices, use once and throw away!

Depends on the cut you want...

For curved cuts that will be hidden under the flange of a sink or hob,
then the cheap jigsaw will get the job done.

For curved cuts that will be visible then you either need a top end
jigsaw, or better still a big 1/2" router and suitable template (which
you can cut with said top end jigsaw).

For straight cuts a circular saw or even a manual panel saw will do a
much better job.

--
Cheers,

John.

Adrian C

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
And they're very versatile tools. I use mine for sheet metal cutting too.
But for that you want a soft start vari-speed device.

Also, blade changing can be a pain on some.

I love my Bosch SDS. ;-)

You use your SDS as a jigsaw? :-)

--
Adrian

Ian Stirling

Adrian C wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
And they're very versatile tools. I use mine for sheet metal cutting too.
But for that you want a soft start vari-speed device.

Also, blade changing can be a pain on some.

I love my Bosch SDS. ;-)

You use your SDS as a jigsaw? :-)

I could actually imagine some sort of attachment...
You'd need roto-stop.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Adrian C wrote:
And they're very versatile tools. I use mine for sheet metal cutting
too. But for that you want a soft start vari-speed device.

Also, blade changing can be a pain on some.

I love my Bosch SDS. ;-)

You use your SDS as a jigsaw? :-)

SDS refers to a type of keyless 'chuck'. And Bosch who invented the name
use it for jigsaws as well. You can change the blade without a tool.

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Chris Bacon

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
But with jigsaws - perhaps more than most - you really do have to pay for
accuracy.

There's a good degree of technique, too - I am surprised that most
D-I-Y-ers never go to any classes on how to use their tools (ooh-er).

And they're very versatile tools. I use mine for sheet metal cutting too.
But for that you want a soft start vari-speed device.

Also, blade changing can be a pain on some.

I love my Bosch SDS. ;-)

I like mine, too, but for some reason it now undoes itself and the
blade becomes loose or even drops out....
David Lang

Hi Bruce

Are these OK for cutting 40mm worktops?

At these prices, use once and throw away!

More like "Are these OK for cutting 'a' 40mm worktop".

Sink cut-out OK, not much else.

Dave

RzB

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

SDS refers to a type of keyless 'chuck'. And Bosch who invented the name
use it for jigsaws as well. You can change the blade without a tool.

Yes - Must be similar to the Festool I just bought. Just a flip of a lever
and hey presto new blade installed..
Roy

Adrian C

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Adrian C wrote:
You use your SDS as a jigsaw? :-)

SDS refers to a type of keyless 'chuck'. And Bosch who invented the name
use it for jigsaws as well. You can change the blade without a tool.

Thanks. Didn't know use of the SDS chuck extended past drilling
machines. Must pay more attention to the catalogues... :-)

--
Adrian C

RichardS

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Adrian C wrote:
You use your SDS as a jigsaw? :-)

SDS refers to a type of keyless 'chuck'. And Bosch who invented the name
use it for jigsaws as well. You can change the blade without a tool.

Thanks. Didn't know use of the SDS chuck extended past drilling machines.
Must pay more attention to the catalogues... :-)

for jigsaws it's just a marketing term for "tool-free blade change" - it
bears no relation to SDS on drills.

unlike drills, each manufacturer seems to have trademarked the term for
jigsaw use - for instance Bosch use "SDS" to describe it, whereas my Atlas
Copco has the term "quicklok" or something like that (it's a trademarked
A-C/AEG/Milwaukee thing). Doubtless others will have their own terms as
well.

It's an excellent thing to have - flip a lever round, blade drops out.
replace blade, release lever, job done. I'd never go back to the old system
of having to use tools.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:29:02 +0100, "RzB"
wrote:

Yes - Must be similar to the Festool I just bought. Just a flip of a lever
and hey presto new blade installed..

No, the Festool one works. The Bosch one is OK when new, but seems
fragile in service.

Personaly I like a simple screw clamp. You know where you are with a
screw clamp.

RzB

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

clip

No, the Festool one works. The Bosch one is OK when new, but seems
fragile in service.

Hmm... well we shall see... I must admit that it's not a particularly
big deal as far as I'm concerned. But it's nice while it's workng -
as I say - we shall see..

Roy

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
Yes - Must be similar to the Festool I just bought. Just a flip of a lever
and hey presto new blade installed..

No, the Festool one works. The Bosch one is OK when new, but seems
fragile in service.

Mine has had a deal of use and is still fine.

Personaly I like a simple screw clamp. You know where you are with a
screw clamp.

If you can find the allen key or whatever. And the allen socket isn't all
chewed up. And then the blade can still fall out - which *can't* happen
with the Bosch SDS type.

--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...
Cheapo jugsaw at £10.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=11932

Are these OK for cutting 40mm worktops? At these prices, use once and

throw away!

Yes - but you'll have to throw the worktop away as well. I'm not anti cheap
tools and have quite a lot of them but for jigsaws it really is a case of
expensive is noticably better, very expensive is very much better.

Why the cheap ones cannot get the basics right of supporting and guiding the
blade as near as possible to the work is beyond me but none seem to manage
it.

IMO Bosch blue range is excellent but if you can't afford that either hire
one or buy pne from the green range.

Cheapo mains-to-DC converters Timothy Murphy UK diy 4 May 25th 05 12:09 AM
Cheapo Power Tools Magician UK diy 76 March 28th 05 10:59 PM
DIY Computer Interface to HF cheapo Caliper? mike Metalworking 10 December 17th 04 08:46 PM
Jigsaws for moderate use... Squanklin Woodworking 11 December 16th 04 06:54 PM
How to reduce current on a cheapo mig welder? Keith Marshall Metalworking 3 September 3rd 03 08:46 AM