Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quality Jigsaws

Hi All

Its often been said on this group that the one tool worth paying more money
for is a jigsaw.

The difference is like chalk & cheese apparently.

If there is that much difference, could someone recommend a specific
brand/model they have experience of please?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi All

Its often been said on this group that the one tool worth paying more money
for is a jigsaw.

The difference is like chalk & cheese apparently.

If there is that much difference, could someone recommend a specific
brand/model they have experience of please?

I've got one of these

http://www.partridges.uk.com/catalog...roducts_id=147

cuts through everything it's supposed to and does it all day without complaint.

I got mine from screwfix

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
Hi All

Its often been said on this group that the one tool worth paying more money
for is a jigsaw.

The difference is like chalk & cheese apparently.

If there is that much difference, could someone recommend a specific
brand/model they have experience of please?

One desirable feature, not available on my ancient Bosch, is something
to clear the sawdust from the cutting line:-(

It does have an adjustable *rocking action* which gives much faster
cutting in softwood.

Metal cutting is a bit iffy as it is very easy to overheat the blades
without some coolant/lubricant.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I bought this:

I can't fault it in any way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

If there is that much difference, could someone recommend a specific
brand/model they have experience of please?

The barrel-bodied blue Bosch. Prices from 40 quid to 160, depending on
power rating and whether it's last years model on a discount. GST 135
is current, the 40 quid was 110V on damaged-box clearance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Its often been said on this group that the one tool worth paying more money
for is a jigsaw.

The difference is like chalk & cheese apparently.

Well, that was my experiance anyway.

If there is that much difference, could someone recommend a specific
brand/model they have experience of please?

I have this one:

I am *very* pleased with it. It has soft start, a dust blower, and if
you get one with the right suffix letter - then a cutline light as
well[1]. The sole plate is a rock solid casting with no give at all. The
mechanism runs very smoothly (if turn it on an set it on its side on a
table it will stay put without vibrating itself anywhere). There is a
plastic shoe that fits over the sole plate to reduce marking of the
surface. It also comes with a dust collection spout.

Cut quality is supurb when required, and cut speed on full pendulum is
surprisingly quick (i.e. cut the end of a 8x2" joist in under 5 secs)

I have also used one of the blue bosch GST range - it was an older model
- no longer made, but similar to:

Again certainly equal to the Makita - although perhaps a little more
vibration (which may just be a result of the abuse the owner of the tool
has given it over meny years!)

[1] It is the "FCT" suffix version with the light - actually cheaper at
Lawson at the mo:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...hp?cat=Jigsaws

(second one down)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-06 09:30:23 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Hi All

Its often been said on this group that the one tool worth paying more
money for is a jigsaw.

The difference is like chalk & cheese apparently.

If there is that much difference, could someone recommend a specific
brand/model they have experience of please?

Easy one.

Any of the Bosch blue GST series.

That is unless you are minded towards a Festool.

If I were buying a new one not having one, I would buy the Festool.
However, having got a GST, I wouldn't replace it with the Festool.

Controllability, accuracy and comfort are really good with the GST and
you would be pleased with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-06 09:30:23 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Hi All

Its often been said on this group that the one tool worth paying more
money for is a jigsaw.

The difference is like chalk & cheese apparently.

If there is that much difference, could someone recommend a specific
brand/model they have experience of please?

Easy one.

Any of the Bosch blue GST series.

That is unless you are minded towards a Festool.

If I were buying a new one not having one, I would buy the Festool.
However, having got a GST, I wouldn't replace it with the Festool.

Controllability, accuracy and comfort are really good with the GST and
you would be pleased with it.

You have all missed the point with these grossly overpriced -if very
good, tools:

The cheap ones have zinc alloy die cast parts that wear out very
quickly. At the amazing expense of a few pennies extra the pricey stuff
is fitted with steel working parts and some have rollers to minimise
wear.

No doubt at great expense to the environment and a free prison
workforce, the Chinese are remedying the situation as I write.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-06 09:30:23 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Hi All

Its often been said on this group that the one tool worth paying more
money for is a jigsaw.

The difference is like chalk & cheese apparently.

If there is that much difference, could someone recommend a specific
brand/model they have experience of please?

Easy one.

Any of the Bosch blue GST series.

That is unless you are minded towards a Festool.

If I were buying a new one not having one, I would buy the Festool.
However, having got a GST, I wouldn't replace it with the Festool.

Controllability, accuracy and comfort are really good with the GST and
you would be pleased with it.

You have all missed the point with these grossly overpriced -if very
good, tools:

They are not grossly overpriced, simply well engineered and supported.

That costs money.

The cheap ones have zinc alloy die cast parts that wear out very
quickly. At the amazing expense of a few pennies extra the pricey stuff
is fitted with steel working parts and some have rollers to minimise
wear.

There is a lot more to it than that....

No doubt at great expense to the environment and a free prison
workforce, the Chinese are remedying the situation as I write.

Complete with spares and service no doubt.

Give me a break....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You have all missed the point with these grossly overpriced -if very
good, tools:

Priced according to what the customer will pay, same as everything
else.

Most professional power tools are in the £100-200 range, jigsaws are
no different. However whilst some cheapy grade tools may do a similar
job for occassional use (e.g. mini-grinders), cheapy jigsaws are
significantly less capable tools.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 08:30:23 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Hi All

Its often been said on this group that the one tool worth paying more money
for is a jigsaw.

The difference is like chalk & cheese apparently.

If there is that much difference, could someone recommend a specific
brand/model they have experience of please?

I have an 18V deWalt DW933 which I'm pretty happy with. I abuse it
horrendously (e.g. taking the shoe off, turning it on its nose and using
it as a reciprocating saw for cutting through floorboards in situ). It
cuts pretty straight when I use it for its intended purpose. Cons are the
blade change mechanism which is a pig: you have to pull out and turn,
several turns, a stiff knob designed so that you're likely to break any
thumbnail you have; and if you leave the clear plastic guard off the
front of the tool and get your fingers in the wrong place it can nip you
very painfully (blood blister).

I got it for £200 in a kit with 2 (2Ah) batteries, charger and case from
someone on eBay (new).

I previously had a PPPro (Ryobi rebadge I think) 18V which had a good
blade change mechanism but wasn't so accurate cutting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
[...]

I have had both the old 18V dewalt and now have the new far improved 18V
dewalt jigsaw and they are the mutt's

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Dawson wrote:
[...]

And for what it's worth, the £15 thing that Focus are selling looks
pretty capable.

Perhaps things have already improved over there.

One wonders what the entire British mechanical and engineering industry
might have accomplished if the management instead of the workforce had
been commies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-06 09:30:23 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

You want spares and services on a £15 machine?

How much is a packet of blades for a Bosch?

Your ethos need realigning with this millenium old chap.
One does not pay through the nose for a machine to do the same job that
you can get a cheap one to do just as well.
And having a cheap machine break down means you know exactly where and
what to get in the next hour or so that you need to replace it.

Spares and repairs cost time, money and aggro and you only get a second
hand machine back for all the trouble. Sometimes the repair wasn't done
properly, sometimes another problem persists.

(I freely give this bereak to you as a favour, don't abuse it.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-08 09:52:07 +0100, "Weatherlawyer" said:

You want spares and services on a £15 machine?

No I don't because I don't want a £15 machine or its poor quality and
reliability.

How much is a packet of blades for a Bosch?

Your ethos need realigning with this millenium old chap.

No it doesn't.

One does not pay through the nose for a machine to do the same job that
you can get a cheap one to do just as well.

With jigsaws it is well known and understood that cheap products simply
don't produce the quality of work that a decent one will. That's my
view and that of a number of others who in the past bought cheap
jigsaws and thought that all were crap. Take a look through the
group archives on that point.

And having a cheap machine break down means you know exactly where and
what to get in the next hour or so that you need to replace it.

Buying a decent one means that it will be engineered and designed for a
long lifetime and conservatively rated, ergo is unlikely to have a
break down in the first place.

Spares and repairs cost time, money and aggro and you only get a second
hand machine back for all the trouble.

Incorrect. On the very small number of occasions that I have needed
to use a repair service, the original product has been returned with
worn parts replaced and to original spec.

Sometimes the repair wasn't done
properly, sometimes another problem persists.

Never in my experience.

I also have the option to purchase spares and effect the repair myself.

(I freely give this bereak to you as a favour, don't abuse it.)

No need because it has no value.

If you want to buy things on price, that's your choice. I prefer to
buy on value with all factors that are important to me taken into
account.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
Your ethos need realigning with this millenium old chap.
One does not pay through the nose for a machine to do the same job that
you can get a cheap one to do just as well.

Assuming it actually *does* do the same job. And in my experience, cheap
jigsaws simply don't - unless all you use it for is cutting firewood.

And having a cheap machine break down means you know exactly where and
what to get in the next hour or so that you need to replace it.

Or more likely a different one - the design of these cheap ones tends to
change by the month, as the manufacturer discovers a way of saving another
penny or two.

It really depends on your priorities. I've bought many a cheap power tool
in the past, but once used to it often replace with better. Examples would
be cordless drill, jigsaw, router, compound mitre saw. And in each case
the improved performance has been worth the outlay.

--
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matt wrote:

40 quid? for a GST135? you jammy *******!

No, they were 80s for that price. For plywood it makes no difference
though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It really depends on your priorities. I've bought many a cheap power tool
in the past, but once used to it often replace with better. Examples would
be cordless drill, jigsaw, router, compound mitre saw. And in each case
the improved performance has been worth the outlay.

Quite. A £15 outlay for something I'd seldom use and not need an
excellent result from is plenty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

I have this one:

(Makita 4340TC Jigsaw 240V)
Cut quality is supurb when required, and cut speed on full pendulum is
surprisingly quick (i.e. cut the end of a 8x2" joist in under 5 secs)

Thats certainly one of the jobs I'd want it to do John, but how good is that
cut? My current m/c would just about cut that with a struggle and the blade
would wander about all over the place giving nothing like a square cut. Not
expecting it to be dead on like a chop saw.

I have also used one of the blue bosch GST range. Again certainly equal
to the Makita - although perhaps a little more
vibration (which may just be a result of the abuse the owner of the
tool has given it over meny years!)

Choice seems to be between the Bosch GST 135 & the Makita.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-08 11:31:50 +0100, "Weatherlawyer" said:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It really depends on your priorities. I've bought many a cheap power tool
in the past, but once used to it often replace with better. Examples would
be cordless drill, jigsaw, router, compound mitre saw. And in each case
the improved performance has been worth the outlay.

Quite. A £15 outlay for something I'd seldom use and not need an
excellent result from is plenty.

So if your aspirations are low, this may be fine. However, it is
incorrect to assume
that everybody else has low expectations of outcome, and for jigsaws
especially there is a large
difference between the £15 and the £125 jigsaw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

I have this one:

(Makita 4340TC Jigsaw 240V)

Cut quality is supurb when required, and cut speed on full pendulum is
surprisingly quick (i.e. cut the end of a 8x2" joist in under 5 secs)

Thats certainly one of the jobs I'd want it to do John, but how good is that
cut? My current m/c would just about cut that with a struggle and the blade
would wander about all over the place giving nothing like a square cut. Not
expecting it to be dead on like a chop saw.

Cutting cross grain like that, the cut will be very good - no struggle
at all, and it will remain nice and square.

The only time I have suffered from any blade wander on thick stuff is
when I was cutting through an egg box door (i.e. two thin pannels with
large air gap and cardboard honeycombe between).

With pendulum off, or on setting one, the cut quality is also very good
- in fact as good as a circular saw if you have a steady hand. I have
found if I cut out a template in MDF, give it a very quick and light
sand, and then use it to guide the router, I get none of the tell tail
ripple in the finished routed surface that I used to get when I did
similar things with an "ordinary" jigsaw.

Choice seems to be between the Bosch GST 135 & the Makita.

I can't see you being dissapointed with either of those.

There is also a Freud one that is a little cheaper - not used it but the
constuction quality looks pretty good. I also noticed a Hitachi the
other day. Never used one of their jigsaws, but I have used one of their
circular saws which was *very* good. so it may be worth having a look at
as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

One does not pay through the nose for a machine to do the same job that
you can get a cheap one to do just as well.

I think you will find that is the whole thrust of this thread. In this
case, the cheap machines do not come anywhere close to doing the same job.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
It really depends on your priorities. I've bought many a cheap power
tool in the past, but once used to it often replace with better.
Examples would be cordless drill, jigsaw, router, compound mitre saw.
And in each case the improved performance has been worth the outlay.

Quite. A £15 outlay for something I'd seldom use and not need an
excellent result from is plenty.

For you, maybe. But I'd guess Dave will make a great deal of use of a
jigsaw, and sometimes for accurate work.

--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:

One does not pay through the nose for a machine to do the same job
that you can get a cheap one to do just as well.

I think you will find that is the whole thrust of this thread. In this
case, the cheap machines do not come anywhere close to doing the same
job.

Indeed. What I'm after is a huge increase in performance & accuracy rather
than longevity. I understand this is what you get by paying top money.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-08 16:11:34 +0100, John Rumm said:

There is also a Freud one that is a little cheaper - not used it but
the constuction quality looks pretty good. I also noticed a Hitachi the
other day. Never used one of their jigsaws, but I have used one of
their circular saws which was *very* good. so it may be worth having a
look at as well.

Hitachi circular saw, certainly good, I have one of those.

I tried the jigsaw. It's certainly OK, but I preferred the Bosch for
controllability on the motor speed at low revs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-08 16:56:43 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

John Rumm wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:

One does not pay through the nose for a machine to do the same job
that you can get a cheap one to do just as well.

I think you will find that is the whole thrust of this thread. In this
case, the cheap machines do not come anywhere close to doing the same
job.

Indeed. What I'm after is a huge increase in performance & accuracy
rather than longevity. I understand this is what you get by paying top
money.

In jigsaws certainly. Try to go and look at one if you can. Worth a
trip to Axminster's shop in Sittingbourne perhaps?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Indeed. What I'm after is a huge increase in performance & accuracy
rather than longevity. I understand this is what you get by paying top
money.

You should get both.

--
*Do they ever shut up on your planet?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
It really depends on your priorities. I've bought many a cheap power
tool in the past, but once used to it often replace with better.
Examples would be cordless drill, jigsaw, router, compound mitre
saw. And in each case the improved performance has been worth the
outlay.

Quite. A £15 outlay for something I'd seldom use and not need an
excellent result from is plenty.

For you, maybe. But I'd guess Dave will make a great deal of use of a
jigsaw, and sometimes for accurate work.

What I'm looking for is a general purpose electric saw to carry about all
the time for all sorts of unexpected jobs. If I know I'm doing decking,
laminate flooring or trimming a door I'll take a chop saw or circular saw,
but often people will say "while you are here could you .....".

So a good quality jigsaw seems favourite, if it will cut a reasonable
straight line.

I progressed through el cheapo B&D (years ago), el cheapo Ferm and a mid
range B&Q Power Pro. All have been poo basically.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-08 17:42:52 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
It really depends on your priorities. I've bought many a cheap power
tool in the past, but once used to it often replace with better.
Examples would be cordless drill, jigsaw, router, compound mitre
saw. And in each case the improved performance has been worth the
outlay.

Quite. A £15 outlay for something I'd seldom use and not need an
excellent result from is plenty.

For you, maybe. But I'd guess Dave will make a great deal of use of a
jigsaw, and sometimes for accurate work.

What I'm looking for is a general purpose electric saw to carry about
all the time for all sorts of unexpected jobs. If I know I'm doing
decking, laminate flooring or trimming a door I'll take a chop saw or
circular saw, but often people will say "while you are here could you
.....".

So a good quality jigsaw seems favourite, if it will cut a reasonable
straight line.

I progressed through el cheapo B&D (years ago), el cheapo Ferm and a
mid range B&Q Power Pro. All have been poo basically.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that you can use a guide rail
and get even straighter lines.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

I have this one:

(Makita 4340TC Jigsaw 240V)

[...]

I've decided to bite the bullet and have ordered the Makita - £120 with 25
free blades.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-08 22:28:13 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I've decided to bite the bullet and have ordered the Makita - £120 with
25 free blades.

Looks like a good deal.

You should find blades compatible all the way round. Almost all
jigsaws use the Scintilla (Bosch) fitting. The only exception I've
found is B&D who have their own thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
You should find blades compatible all the way round. Almost all
jigsaws use the Scintilla (Bosch) fitting. The only exception I've
found is B&D who have their own thing.

That's one thing I positively love about my SDS Bosch Jigsaw - no tools
needed to change a blade.

--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes - the press-button eject/push-and-click blade fitting on the GST135
is a big plus - no temptation to make do with a wrong/poor blade.

That's one thing I positively love about my SDS Bosch Jigsaw - no tools
needed to change a blade.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I've decided to bite the bullet and have ordered the Makita - ï½£120 with 25
free blades.

It will be interesting to see what you think of it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-08 22:28:13 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I've decided to bite the bullet and have ordered the Makita - £120 with
25 free blades.

Looks like a good deal.

You should find blades compatible all the way round. Almost all
jigsaws use the Scintilla (Bosch) fitting. The only exception I've
found is B&D who have their own thing...

....together with a lot of the very low end kit from Fook Yu
(Manufacturing) Ltd.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I've decided to bite the bullet and have ordered the Makita - ?120
with 25 free blades.

It will be interesting to see what you think of it.

I'm going to blame you if I don't like it John :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-09 21:01:36 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I've decided to bite the bullet and have ordered the Makita - ?120
with 25 free blades.

It will be interesting to see what you think of it.

I'm going to blame you if I don't like it John :-)

You can always send it back. You are buying as a consumer and not as
trade, aren't you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I've decided to bite the bullet and have ordered the Makita - ?120
with 25 free blades.

It will be interesting to see what you think of it.

I'm going to blame you if I don't like it John :-)

They might have gone right downhill since I got mine ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.