Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Default Jigsaws

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Max wrote:
"blueman" wrote:

Yeah my first power tool was a $49 Craftsman jig saw back in about
1974 when I was about 12. That was actually one of their better jig
saws back then at that price.

But I almost never used it because the thing made so much noise and
vibrated so much (though at that age my parents wouldn't let me use
circular saw). The thing also never seemed to cut either fast or
straight.

Then last year, I bought a new 1590 Bosch. It was like a tool from
different planet. It's quiet, doesn't vibrate, cuts smooth, cuts
accurately, and cuts fast. Now I love using it.

To me that was the best indication of why it pays to invest in good
tools!

I have a Bosch 1584 AVSK and a Bosch 1591 EVSK and they both cut
fast,
smooth and accurately but I wouldn't claim that they are either
quiet
or vibration free.

You never used the 12 buck McGraw-Edison that my Dad got at the Navy
Exchange back in 1965 or thereabouts. A Bosch then was about 180
bucks and try to find one in the US.

--John

LOL. I still have a Sears jig saw that I bought early in my woodworking
pursuits. It has to be at least 40 years old.
I admit that my Bosch jig saws are in another class altogether compared to
the Sears but I'm not sure that a totally vibration free, "quiet" jig saw is
capable of being manufactured.

Max