Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Education

"LRod" wrote in message

Now, when we take money from Peter (the public schools) to help Paul
(the parents who don't want their kids to go to the "undesireables' "
schools) how does that improve the already underfunded public
education system?
LRod

Competition......making the public schools compete in both product and
price. Society (rightly so) has decided to fund education (approx. half of
most states budgets)....realistically the cost is based on number of
students.....taxes pretty much come from everybody including parents......If
a private school is taxpayer supported or a public school the money doesn't
really care.....By adding competition to the mix with required quality
standards, education can only improve.....Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Education--second question

"toolman946 via CraftKB.com" u40139@uwe wrote in message
Geez you guys! I thought this woodworking thread was to learn "how" to
build
a soapbox... not climb up on it!

And what's with all those book titles you bandy about?!? I don't think
I've
seen any one of them on Oprah's book list!

(snicker)

What good is building a soap box if you're *not* going to climb up on
it?????

C'mon, let's apply some common sense here!

(also snickers)

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"dpb" wrote in message ...
dpb wrote:

Sheridan for his derring-do, so to speak as unattached cavalry to see
what he thought of how it went as opposed to what Sherman thought and
expected. ...

Grant, not Sherman intended there, of course...

All these guys are pretty doggone impressive when you look at their
lifelong body of work not just the Civil War era. Makes most of the folks
we hear of today seem pretty small ime(stimation) in comparison.

I'm also constantly reminded of what "tough" really meant--the 12-yr old
regimental drummer boys, for example. Where are 12-yr olds today?

--

In front of their xbox's, game cubes, ps3's, psp, etc.......

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Rod & Betty Jo wrote:
...By adding competition to the mix with required quality
standards, education can only improve.....Rod

It's a simplistic, nice-sounding "solution", but ignores entirely the
problem inherent in any process -- effect of the quality of the input
material to the quality of the output product.

Posted to rec.woodworking

toolman946 via CraftKB.com wrote:
Geez you guys! I thought this woodworking thread was to learn "how" to build
a soapbox... not climb up on it!

And what's with all those book titles you bandy about?!? I don't think I've
seen any one of them on Oprah's book list!

(snicker)

I'll assume that post is tongue-in-cheek.

Regardless, there's plenty of room for
all kinds of discussions on a WW forum.
One of the reasons I prefer USENET to
other forums is that it's not moderated
formally. Informally, it's very
moderated by all users.

By and large, the Wreck talks about
wood, tools, problems, safety and all
other "on topic" issues. Just like if
you're in a small shop and you talk out
a problem with the guy next to you.
What's the right blade for this cut,
what wood should I use here, etc.

After a bit, those same two guys gather
round the woodstove or water cooler for
a smoke and/or coffee and talk about
whatever they feel like, which may
include getting laid last nite, what a
genius/buffoon Bush is, or whether Bush
got laid last nite. On topic to a shop?

Sure is.

It's all part of the process.

--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote By and large, the Wreck talks about
wood, tools, problems, safety and all
other "on topic" issues. Just like if
you're in a small shop and you talk out
a problem with the guy next to you.
What's the right blade for this cut,
what wood should I use here, etc.

After a bit, those same two guys gather
round the woodstove or water cooler for
a smoke and/or coffee and talk about
whatever they feel like, which may
include getting laid last nite, what a
genius/buffoon Bush is, or whether Bush
got laid last nite. On topic to a shop?

Sure is.

It's all part of the process.

Well said.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe said:

"George" wrote in message
.net...

"Roger Woehl" wrote in message
. ..
Greetings,
For all responders to this topic, in which generation would you place
yourself? Traditionalist (born pre1945), Boomer, GenX, Millennial (GenY)

A more appropriate question would be "when did you stop learning?" Think
you'd find the end of the alphabet quit before the "traditionalist."

What's the last book you read? Even better question. Mine is _ A History
of Medicine_ by Lois Magner.

The Soul of a Tree
A Woodworker's Reflections
George Nakashima

At least it's on topic. :-\

Around here, your children won't be reading the Hardy Boys or Nancy
Drew. Mark Twain books are also on the hit list of the redneck 82 IQ
fundamentalist book nazis.

In 1988, librarians in Cobb County, Georgia, removed Nancy Drew and
The Hardy Boys from the library shelves. The librarians cited lack of
shelf space as the reason for the exclusion of the popular mystery
series. Mary Louis Rheay, director of the Cobb County Library System,
tells a different story, saying that "series books are poorly written
and do not meet library standards for book selection."

OK - whatever...

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Greg G." wrote in message
Joe said:

"George" wrote in message
s.net...

[...]

wul ahm shore glad rayding all dem hearty boyz books dint effect muh raydin
n writtin bilities none.

Proud to have given every last one of my HB books to my son, who enjoys them
as much as I did,

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg G." wrote in message
Around here, your children won't be reading the Hardy Boys or Nancy
Drew. Mark Twain books are also on the hit list of the redneck 82 IQ
fundamentalist book nazis.

In 1988, librarians in Cobb County, Georgia, removed Nancy Drew and
The Hardy Boys from the library shelves. The librarians cited lack of
shelf space as the reason for the exclusion of the popular mystery
series. Mary Louis Rheay, director of the Cobb County Library System,
tells a different story, saying that "series books are poorly written
and do not meet library standards for book selection."

Sorry, you're showing your bias. The Nancy Drew books were banned by
feminists, The Hardy boys didn't have any female help, so ditto. Twain,
well, he used the N word a lot, so the NAACP got him. Then there's
Kipling's kids' tales and Uncle Remus....

None of these groups fit the "redneck" stereotype. But they are
"fundamentalist" in every sense save the stereotype in the liberal press.
Pejoratives should at least be applied correctly.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Sorry, you're showing your bias. The Nancy Drew books were banned by
feminists,

The Hardy boys didn't have any female help, so ditto.

Say WHAT??? Are you forgetting Aunt Gertrude??????

geez......

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

George said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Sorry, you're showing your ignorance. You don't know a damned thing
about Cobb County, Georgia, or you wouldn't draw such erroneous,
sophomoric conclusions about an area that is about as far from
"liberal" as it gets. Cobb has been called home by the likes of J.B.
Stoner and Newt Gingrich, and each was embraced wholeheartedly. The
NAACP had as much influence here as a flea to a dog's direction of
travel. Unless you call lynching Jews and Blacks on the courthouse
square "liberal". Additionally, well into the 90's, they maintained
two schools across the street from each other - one black, the other
white. Redistricting was performed on a regular basis to maintain the
status quo. Gays and feminazis were not tolerated. Rush Limbough and
Neal Bortz are their radio heroes. They embrace crooks, thieves, drug
dealers, bribe taking judges, and abject liars in the government - as
long as they support their myopic, regressive views about the world.
For over a decade they have been trying to ban the teaching of
evolution in public schools, and all biology textbooks are emblazoned
by a sticker that proclaims evolution to be a theory. Their daughters
are brought up to be glorified sperm depositories and baby factories
for the macho, superior men, and male servitude is their imposed
calling. Things have changed a bit over the years, but certainly
nowhere near enough to remotely consider it "liberal". Say, you might
just fit right in. I have some really twisted stories about this dung
heap you would probably enjoy. A generalization? Yes - there are
exceptions contained within most human camps. BTW, they are trying to
ban Harry Potter books as we speak. So don't even try to pigeonhole
this place with regards to preconceived nationally occurring trends.

And by the way, I lived 2 miles from the library in question while
this was occurring. As for bias, what "bias" would that be? My
primary bias is against arrogant ignorance. I don't buy into the
"left" v. "right" political/media hype. There are facts and truth, and
the rest is all bull****.

You know George, contrary to your misguided belief that you know
everything, you don't. Perhaps I just take you the wrong way, but I
don't have this problem with anyone else. You're not a stupid man,
but you really are an impudent dude who cannot seemingly express an
opinion without offending people with your self-righteous attitude.
Maybe you could work on that a bit. But as with the morons who run
Cobb, not likely. I hate to keep picking at you, but you really are
going to have to lose the attitude if you are going to correspond with
me, regardless of how you deal with others.

Have a Nice Day!

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message
news
Proud to have given every last one of my HB books to my son, who enjoys
them as much as I did,

I remember marveling back in the late 50s every time Frank mashed the
accelerator to the floorboard and the car zoomed to 30 mph! Me thinks my
set were original 1920-something prints. And, even though I knew at age
nine or ten that 30 mph really wasn't very fast at all, it never kept me
from finishing that particular book and starting the next one.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 10, 3:54 pm, Greg wrote:
Swingman said:

"LRod" wrote

Ahh, now we're getting down to why some want our kids in private
schools.

And of course those same "some" think government should pay for it by
issuing vouchers, releiving the parents of the cost of getting their
child out of the "undesireables' " schools.

IIRC, it is taxpayer money that pays for everything government spends.

Well it sure isn't the interest from savings. The government at this
point is akin to a crack head nephew with your charge card and PIN.

Our schools are not "underfunded" around here by a long shot, they're
"misfunded".

Correct again. One major factor - bloated, bureaucracies stuffed with
favor passing cronies - at least around here. Many weak contenders
who can not make it through elections consider it an alternate
stepping stone to public service. Even when failing to reach that
goal, you should see some of the ridiculous salaries - many of which
the pubic is unaware of. School superintendent - $238,000 a year.
Not a major city, just an outlying country. School board attorney -
$420,000 + "bond referral fees" which add up to hundreds of thousands
more in some high growth areas. And yep, it's all your money. Wasted.

And you have to wonder at the layers of administration: naturally
enough, some teachers head for the admin area because of the pay.
Around here, a school principal gets about double what the best paid
teacher gets, while his assistants (of whom there are anywhere from
three to six) get about 75% of his pay.

Is that a sad disparity? Probably not as bad as the CEO who gets 5,000
times the 10 bucks an hour his lowest paid employee gets, but that CEO
is not paid from tax dollars. I wouldn't have either job these days,
teaching or admin, but it does seem to me that at least SOME teachers
in the system should equal or surpass the principal's salary. I recall
a few years ago having a guy who owned a furniture factory at that
time telling me he was delighted when all of his sales people made
more than he did. Seems a sane attitude to me, and one that with
adjustment might be applicable in many areas.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave in Houston said:

"Joe" wrote in message
news
Proud to have given every last one of my HB books to my son, who enjoys
them as much as I did,

I remember marveling back in the late 50s every time Frank mashed the
accelerator to the floorboard and the car zoomed to 30 mph! Me thinks my
set were original 1920-something prints. And, even though I knew at age
nine or ten that 30 mph really wasn't very fast at all, it never kept me
from finishing that particular book and starting the next one.

It may have been fluff to stuffy adults, but one of the easiest ways
to get kids to read voluntarily. Wasn't that the point?

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Education--one question for all the responders

On Jan 10, 9:34 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
Charlie Self wrote:
I'll buy your last premise, but the draft dodger bit is pure nonsense.
First, there were not all that many draft dodgers. Second, it is

Maybe you just hung out at a different school. There were enough of them
going to college only for the deferment. My 1962-63 high school Civics
teacher told us not only how to avoid the draft, but how to work summers and
collect unemployment the rest of the year. I can give a list of names if
you need it.

Not draft dodgers, Ed. Those were draft evaders and it was legal.
Cheney did it. Bush did it. Hell, I think most of Congress did it. And
that's one of our current problems.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 10, 11:11 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"LRod" wrote in message

How do you read motive in someone's heart?

When they say "I'm in school to avoid the draft" you sort of get a hint.

Must be some magic goggles.

Nothing magical, you just listen to what they say. Such as "I'm not going
in the f---n army." Some of these were in my school, neighbors, etc.

I'm sensitive on the subject. I went to college with a student
deferment from 1964 through 1967. I was never in the military. There
are some people who try to create a nexus between those two
circumstances which doesn't reflect favorably on me in their eyes.
They verbalize that at their peril. No bully, no big mouth, but I
won't stand by to be labeled as something I wasn't. Would you?

I did not label you at all, but your making what appears to be a physical
threat just makes you look like the big bully. Quite laughable, really.
Generally comes from lack of self confidence, I'm told.

Well, hell, I wasn't going in the Army, either. By that time, I'd
already serve four years in the Marines.

But it is really easy to determine intent when someone gets five
different deferments, or joins the ANG, or otherwise manages to sneak
under the tape. I am still smarting from that sack of **** Cheney
having the gall to stand up in from of the Marine Corps League
convention and give the keynote speech.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 11, 4:06 pm, Greg wrote:
Dave in Houston said:

"Joe" wrote in message
news
Proud to have given every last one of my HB books to my son, who enjoys
them as much as I did,

I remember marveling back in the late 50s every time Frank mashed the
accelerator to the floorboard and the car zoomed to 30 mph! Me thinks my
set were original 1920-something prints. And, even though I knew at age
nine or ten that 30 mph really wasn't very fast at all, it never kept me
from finishing that particular book and starting the next one.

It may have been fluff to stuffy adults, but one of the easiest ways
to get kids to read voluntarily. Wasn't that the point?

I think so. I also think Harry Potter is trash, but fun trash for
kids, and it has gotten millions who wouldn't otherwise pick up a book
involved in reading, at least for a start. And made its author a
billionairess (how's that for politically incorrect).

With all today's distractions, it's sometimes hard to get kids
interested in books, but without books, their lives are going to be a
lot less complete. Hell, even books by Ann Coulter have SOME value.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg G." wrote in message
George said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

My remarks were not specific to the county, but the country in general. I
know as much about your county's individuals as you know about mine. That's
what's happened country-wide. The pressure groups indicated have banned
more books than the Bostonians, and the ones indicated for the reasons
indicated. If you could broaden your view, you'd discover it's the truth.
Or you could think your county's the country or the world like a
stereotypical "redneck."

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Self said:

On Jan 10, 3:54 pm, Greg wrote:
Swingman said:

[...]

Well, that's a no brainer. A classroom partially comprised of
ill-behaved kids vs. a nice quiet office and more pay. No taking tests
home for grading, fewer whining parents. What's not to like? Not
having kids, I don't know the current breakdown for salaries, but I
have little doubt it is bloated and rewards are based on politics
rather than genuine performance.

Is that a sad disparity? Probably not as bad as the CEO who gets 5,000
times the 10 bucks an hour his lowest paid employee gets, but that CEO
is not paid from tax dollars. I wouldn't have either job these days,
teaching or admin, but it does seem to me that at least SOME teachers
in the system should equal or surpass the principal's salary. I recall
a few years ago having a guy who owned a furniture factory at that
time telling me he was delighted when all of his sales people made
more than he did. Seems a sane attitude to me, and one that with
adjustment might be applicable in many areas.

The disparity you mention has exponentially increased in the past 15
years or so. It seems to me that attitudes have changed considerably
since I first entered the work force. Avarice appears to have become
the philosophy of modern business. Why? Who knows - probably a
variety of reasons, including television, unpredictable, vacillating
costs of doing business and living, and political trends. Healthy for
society? Not.

As an aside, what I find appalling and befuddling is the 42 million in
salary plus bonuses that are routinely awarded to CEO's who run the
company into the ground or bankruptcy. Then they move to another
company and continue the trend. What the hell is with that? Why are
we rewarding corporate raiders and incompetence so handsomely?

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

George said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
.. .
George said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
[...]

Well, the discussion was clearly labeled as being about Cobb, not
nationally. As for what I know about where you live, I haven't a clue
where that is, but from what I recall from 4 years ago, it's Michigan.
I've been there once. But if it's Georgia, Florida, New Jersey,
California, or Tennessee, I've got a pretty good handle of the views
of the region, as I've lived in each as well as knowing people
worldwide. I read papers from all over the country and the world, as
well as commentary from a variety of what I consider sane
editorialists. Some are considered conservative, some progressive.
Almost none are "mainstream". I don't claim to know everything, but I
do endeavor to keep up with the times. I don't believe in any kind of
censorship for adults, but I am careful as to what children should be
exposed to. And I'm far more offended by the constant airing of
"Girls Gone Wild" video ads on TV than I am Harry Potter or Nancy
Drew. Funny, I don't see anyone bitching about them. Don't
misunderstand, I love a nice nekkid female form, but female youth
exploitation videos have no place being streamed into my home without
my prior approval.

As for broadening my view, I did not refute your assertion that the
groups you mentioned have or attempt to influence nationally - only
that they held little to no influence over the region in question. As
for your closing attempt at a barb, I'm about as far from a
stereotypical Cobb redneck as it gets. And believe me, it's not "my"
county. I much preferred Florida and even other counties of Atlanta -
at least before the hordes migrated here. Even CA has many endearing
characteristics - but the cost of living isn't one of them. And one of
the factors that make them appealing is diversity - just not the
overcrowded, grid-locked, "attract the profiteering sharks" kind.

Later,

Greg G.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Self said:

On Jan 11, 4:06 pm, Greg wrote:
Dave in Houston said:

"Joe" wrote in message
news Proud to have given every last one of my HB books to my son, who enjoys
them as much as I did,

I remember marveling back in the late 50s every time Frank mashed the
accelerator to the floorboard and the car zoomed to 30 mph! Me thinks my
set were original 1920-something prints. And, even though I knew at age
nine or ten that 30 mph really wasn't very fast at all, it never kept me
from finishing that particular book and starting the next one.

It may have been fluff to stuffy adults, but one of the easiest ways
to get kids to read voluntarily. Wasn't that the point?

I think so. I also think Harry Potter is trash, but fun trash for
kids, and it has gotten millions who wouldn't otherwise pick up a book
involved in reading, at least for a start. And made its author a
billionairess (how's that for politically incorrect).

The current obsession with the Potter books is a bit disconcerting -
too much of anything isn't a good thing and can displace reality in
young minds; albeit temporarily. I understand their concern of the
unrealistic "magic" stuff, but a part of growing up is discarding the
trash yet keeping the skills developed. Hell, I spent my childhood
believing I was going to get off of this cinder one day.

With all today's distractions, it's sometimes hard to get kids
interested in books, but without books, their lives are going to be a
lot less complete. Hell, even books by Ann Coulter have SOME value.

I agree.
Even hate laden, vituperative screeds make good kindling. ;-)

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg G. wrote:

Joe said:

"George" wrote in message
s.net...

[...]

Please, don't disparage rednecks. They aren't the ones who've pulled
those books, it's the elite, ivy-league educated bunch who've decided that
those kinds of books perpetuate stereotypes and racial and gender biases
that interfere with the self-esteem of norm-challenged underprivileged
pre-adults of the pre-teen persuasion.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita said:

Greg G. wrote:

Joe said:

"George" wrote in message
ds.net...

[...]

Don't misunderstand, I'm talking the ones who run Cobb. (And possibly
the rolling DUI, inbred retards who drove trucks with broken
windshields and crushed grilles, sans mufflers, while throwing beer
cans and bottles at me while riding a bicycle around Marietta 20 years
ago.) Not the country folks. However, I do have a bone to pick with
the den of inbred, wife-beating, daughter molesting hyenas who ran
Cobb, and to a lesser degree, those who now run this state. As
previously discussed with George, this was a local thing 20 years ago.
No Ivy League educated types around here in 1987 - they wouldn't have
lasted 5 minutes before retching and hopping back on a plane. We ran
off the entirety of the school board and several crooked lawyers who
were vying for a seat on the Superior court due to their participation
in secret meetings in which they divvied up taxpayer money, fraud,
arson, judicial misconduct, and various criminal covers-ups. Many of
their children were filthy little spoiled antisocial maggots as well.
Pure white trash. Some from MO, some from FL, and one from PA. Cobb
was a low spot that collected the scummy run-off from around the
nation. It's a long and sordid story that you can eventually read
about should you care to do so.

Greg G.