John Snow

Default New window education

I am ready to have my aluminum windows replaced with vinyl, but I am
relatively clueless as to the options and issues regarding window
replacement. I don't just want to replace the existing windows, I also want
to make a couple of them larger (i.e., wider), and want to add
proper-looking casements and trim in and out of the house. I will probably
do the trim myself (wood content!).

Before I get some estimates I want to educate myself. Where do I go to find
out the current options available? I had an estimate a couple of years ago,
but it seemed out of line pricewise from what I was expecting, and I didn't
know enough about the windows to know when the salesman was blowing smoke or
telling me the truth (although he did start puffing pretty heavily towards
the end of the session, offering me various incentives and rebates). Can I
trust books in the library? How is the technology changing? How old of a
book is still reliable? Are there good magazines to research (e.g., Fine
Homebuilding)?

I appreciate all the help you can give me.

--
Sincerely,

John Snow
CAD Manager
Ground Support PLLC
2475 152 Ave. NE
Redmond, WA 98052

425.376.0177 (ph)
425.376.0277 (fax)

George

"John Snow" wrote in message
[...]

Well, you want "replacement" windows, that's for sure. they don't have the
nailing flanges that originals have. Reframing for larger is going to be
costly, because you have to adjust your cripples and headers, maybe even
your siding to make larger openings.

Replacements aren't that bad for a guy with a reciprocating saw and some
help shimming. You can get full vinyl double hung with tip-in washing and
double glass for a lot less than you think. Use that expanding poly-U
"Great Stuff" to stop intrusion, helped by some tape or membrane.

Greg G.

John Snow said:

[...]

alt.home.repair is a better place to ask this sort of question.
But as one who has replaced many windows, including all the windows in
our house, I can give you my opinions.

Pocket windows can be installed without removing the old window frames
or disturbing the trim - inside or out. You remove the old sashes and
tracks and install in the opening. This is the cheapest and quickest
way.

Vinyl - hmmm - never cared for it personally. It's all the rage with
manufacturers, cause it's cheap. Tough to paint, deteriorates with
exposure to sun and U.V. Better insulator than aluminum, but not as
good as wood. There are fairly inexpensive tilt-out wood sash windows
made by Jeld-Wen (and Anderson, etc.) that retain the ability to stain
the interiors, paint the exteriors, and have composite sills, stops,
and brick molding that won't rot, plus Low-E, double insulated glass.
Snap on mullions or you can special order them with grills behind
glass, but this hurts the R value somewhat because they are generally
aluminum. Apparently, vinyl and plastics don't hold up due to the
heat between the two panes of glass. Wooden sashes can last a century
if properly maintained. Most mfg's offer vinyl and aluminum exterior
clad wooden sashes as well. This works OK if the cladding is
waterproof, or a rot factory if they seep water underneath.

Changing the entire window assembly, frame and all, requires work on
both the inside and outside. The siding may not fit properly against
the new windows brick molding unless the windows are EXACTLY the same
size. It is impossible to add the proper flashing and sill pan
without removing some of the siding. If you have lap siding, this is
a time consuming problem.

Enlarging a window's size is a large effort. Any wall opening has to
be framed properly and requires stripping the wall to install a new
header and jack studs. Proper sheathing, flashing, sill pan, drip
molding, caulk, and then the new window. Sheet rock on the inside
must be redone, as well as the siding. Sheet rock work is easy,
re-framing and siding work is not. Be aware that you could run into
plumbing and electrical conflicts when attempting enlarge an opening.
This adds to the cost and grief.

Avoid places that sub-contract the work out to others - you will
probably get poor quality work, and lots of shortcuts. We're talking
Sears, Home Depot, Home Expo, Lowes, etc. Avoid high pressure
salesman - they'll say anything to make that sale - and support will
vanish after the commission is paid. Find a local installer that has
a good reputation and stands behind his work. You want it done right
the FIRST time, not after a series of half-assed patch jobs. Ask to
see his other jobs - not just the jobs done last week, but years ago.
The ramifications of water leakage and such take time to appear on the
surface.

Expect to pay anywhere from $75 each for pocket window installs, to
upwards of $500 each for custom installs. Average install of a same
sized window with no mods to the siding should cost about $125-$150
each. This is in addition to the cost of the window. Cost varies,
depending on what part of the country you are in. It isn't cheap
anywhere.

If you want to see the installation steps recommended by the
manufacturer of your chosen windows, simply go to their web site and
download a PDF of the install instructions. Most are fairly thorough.

Good Luck!

Greg G.
Greg G.

George said:

Well, you want "replacement" windows, that's for sure. they don't have the
nailing flanges that originals have. Reframing for larger is going to be
costly, because you have to adjust your cripples and headers, maybe even
your siding to make larger openings.

Replacements aren't that bad for a guy with a reciprocating saw and some
help shimming. You can get full vinyl double hung with tip-in washing and
double glass for a lot less than you think. Use that expanding poly-U
"Great Stuff" to stop intrusion, helped by some tape or membrane.

PLEASE don't use the standard Great Stuff in a red can - it will bow
the window frames - guaranteed! Get the stuff designated for windows
and doors.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Michael White

John Snow wrote:

[...]

John,

I replaced all 12 of my aluminum windows last year with vinyl (lifetime
warranty), but the only improvement I made was to replace two side-by-side
windows with a single large casement window. I have a mix of brick and
wood siding on my house. The brick siding was easier for two reasons.
First, I was less worried about damaging any siding when removing the old
window. Second, since the new window was deeper than the old window, and
the brick framing around the window is significantly deeper than the
windows, I didn't have to cut away the interior trim to make the new window
fit flush.

The wood siding was more of a pain. I had to pull away the framing I had
put up the year before, had to be more careful when prying out the old
window frame, and had to cut away drywall from the interior because the new
window was deeper.

In the end, though, it took me about 6 hours from opening up the workshop to
get the ladder until I finished vacuuming per wood-framed window (sans any
re-painting).

The cost for 11 windows (including the one casement that replaced two) was a
little over $2000. And it cut over $40 per month off my heating bill in
the winter, and keeps the house warmer.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer

Hitch

"John Snow" wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks for the advice. I'll trot on over to alt.home.repair now. Didn't
know it existed.
Phisherman

No direct rely here, but here's what happened to my parents. They
bought new windows from Sears with a guarantee that included the
feature of cleaning the outside window panes from the inside. After
the works was done, they discovered that none of the windows could be
tilted in for cleaning. They had serious discussions with Sears,
followed with a letter from my Dad. In two weeks all the windows were
replaced with ones that tilted in for cleaning. Although this job was
subcontracted, Sears made the installation good. Bottom line, pick a
job where it is guaranteed, insured, and bonded--and get all of this
in writing, talk is cheap.

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:25:58 -0700, "John Snow"
wrote:

[...]

CW

I did all that. Got a lifetime garantee. I now (seven years later) have a
sliding glass door that clouds up. It's still under warrenty (I'm still
alive) but the company is out of buisiness.

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Bottom line, pick a
job where it is guaranteed, insured, and bonded--and get all of this
in writing, talk is cheap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

This is to inform home owners interested in purchasing replacement home
windows about one couple's experience with a Northern Virginia firm,
CONSUMER CONSTRUCTION, INC.

In June 1999, Consumer Construction, Inc., Woodbridge, VA 22191,
703-491-0745, http://www.consumerconstruction.com, furnished and
installed 13 ea. replacement vinyl windows, Carefree brand, with Low E
glass and argon gas. Cost: $4,200.

Initially my wife Robin and I were generally pleased with the product,
however one double-hung unit toally filmed over within three years on
the inner (sealed) surfaces. Those surfaces cannot be cleaned.

We left several phone messages with Consumer Construction, Inc.
(hereinafter called the "company') but received no response. In June
2004, we sent the company an e-mail mesage via its e-mail response
line. A male from the company phoned and agreed to inspect the window,
but never showed up.

We subsequently contacted the Better Business Bureau (BBB) of Greater
Washington, D.C. (202-393-8000, www.mybbb.org), which made contact with
the company. A company representative came to our house in May 2005,
and found that nine (9) windows had some degree of filming due he said
to "inner moisture."

The company agreed to contact the manufacturer to obtain an on-site
inspection, but a few weeks later, it was determined by the company
that the manufacturer of Carefree brand windows had gone bankrupt and
out of business. The company subsequently told us that it, therefore,
would not replace at no cost any of the filmed windows, since the
manufacturer was no longer in business. "I am at a dead end," we were
told by the company manager, Mr. Mitchell.

We went back to the BBB with this information; the BBB agreed to try to
arrange for arbitration of our case, but were met with silence on the
matter. The case remains in an unresolved category.

To summarize my wife's and my position, we believe that, at a minimum,
Consumer Construction, Inc. should be willing to replace at no cost the
two windows that are completely filmed over, especially since the
company's own inspector remarked, "You don't need blinds for these
[filmed windows]."

Consumer Construction's position is unacceptable to us, as customers,
and we believe it fails to meet standards of responsible business
practice as well. Consumer Construction SOLD us windows that failed;
THEY bear primary responsibility for resolving this case to our
satisfaction. The company's position is like a food market telling a
customer to go to the farmer who raised the steer from which a spoiled
cut of meat was originally obtained!

(It would be interesting to know how many of the company's other
customers have incurred problems such as ours.)

Ken Spalding
Dale City, VA

Posted to rec.woodworking
Duane Bozarth

To summarize my wife's and my position, we believe that, at a minimum,
Consumer Construction, Inc. should be willing to replace at no cost the
two windows that are completely filmed over, especially since the
company's own inspector remarked, "You don't need blinds for these
[filmed windows]."

At a "minimum"??? What warranty was offered and by whom was it
underwritten--the window manufacturer or the installer? If the latter,
you have some recourse, if the former, they're gone.

Consumer Construction's position is unacceptable to us, as customers,
and we believe it fails to meet standards of responsible business
practice as well. ....

Well, as noted above, unless they warranted the windows themselves
_themselves_, they did what they said they would do...sold and installed
you a set of windows.

I'll agree it would be nice if they would make some compensation but
it's not clear how much actual responsibility is theirs from the data
provided.

As a auto dealer w/ whom I had dealt for a long time and was good
personal friends w/ told me when I was moaning about the clear coat
failure on a relatively new automobile back when that was such a problem
for all the manufacturers owing to the EPA-mandated changes in paint
formulations--"I didn't paint the car, I only sold it". It isn't
necessarily so that it really is the installer's fault here. I can feel
your pain, but you need to see what your warranty documents acutally say
and then go from there.

How much money is actually at stake here? You may need to ask for a
legal opinion on what your rights are and consider small claims court if
you do have a leg to stand on. Realistically, all you can probably hope
to get will be a partial credit on a replacement for these windows.