Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G. Greg G. is offline

Default Education--second question

George said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
.. .
George said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
Around here, your children won't be reading the Hardy Boys or Nancy
Drew. Mark Twain books are also on the hit list of the redneck 82 IQ
fundamentalist book nazis.

In 1988, librarians in Cobb County, Georgia, removed Nancy Drew and
The Hardy Boys from the library shelves. The librarians cited lack of
shelf space as the reason for the exclusion of the popular mystery
series. Mary Louis Rheay, director of the Cobb County Library System,
tells a different story, saying that "series books are poorly written
and do not meet library standards for book selection."

Sorry, you're showing your bias. The Nancy Drew books were banned by
feminists, The Hardy boys didn't have any female help, so ditto. Twain,
well, he used the N word a lot, so the NAACP got him. Then there's
Kipling's kids' tales and Uncle Remus....

None of these groups fit the "redneck" stereotype. But they are
"fundamentalist" in every sense save the stereotype in the liberal press.
Pejoratives should at least be applied correctly.

Sorry, you're showing your ignorance. You don't know a damned thing
about Cobb County, Georgia, or you wouldn't draw such erroneous,
sophomoric conclusions about an area that is about as far from
"liberal" as it gets.

My remarks were not specific to the county, but the country in general. I
know as much about your county's individuals as you know about mine. That's
what's happened country-wide. The pressure groups indicated have banned
more books than the Bostonians, and the ones indicated for the reasons
indicated. If you could broaden your view, you'd discover it's the truth.
Or you could think your county's the country or the world like a
stereotypical "redneck."

Well, the discussion was clearly labeled as being about Cobb, not
nationally. As for what I know about where you live, I haven't a clue
where that is, but from what I recall from 4 years ago, it's Michigan.
I've been there once. But if it's Georgia, Florida, New Jersey,
California, or Tennessee, I've got a pretty good handle of the views
of the region, as I've lived in each as well as knowing people
worldwide. I read papers from all over the country and the world, as
well as commentary from a variety of what I consider sane
editorialists. Some are considered conservative, some progressive.
Almost none are "mainstream". I don't claim to know everything, but I
do endeavor to keep up with the times. I don't believe in any kind of
censorship for adults, but I am careful as to what children should be
exposed to. And I'm far more offended by the constant airing of
"Girls Gone Wild" video ads on TV than I am Harry Potter or Nancy
Drew. Funny, I don't see anyone bitching about them. Don't
misunderstand, I love a nice nekkid female form, but female youth
exploitation videos have no place being streamed into my home without
my prior approval.

As for broadening my view, I did not refute your assertion that the
groups you mentioned have or attempt to influence nationally - only
that they held little to no influence over the region in question. As
for your closing attempt at a barb, I'm about as far from a
stereotypical Cobb redneck as it gets. And believe me, it's not "my"
county. I much preferred Florida and even other counties of Atlanta -
at least before the hordes migrated here. Even CA has many endearing
characteristics - but the cost of living isn't one of them. And one of
the factors that make them appealing is diversity - just not the
overcrowded, grid-locked, "attract the profiteering sharks" kind.

Later,

Greg G.