Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Powermatic decision

If you had a choice, between a powermatic 66 and a pm2000, which would you
choose and why.

I may be forced (?!?!?!) into such a decision. (yeah, that's a bit of a
drive-by).

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message
. net...
If you had a choice, between a powermatic 66 and a pm2000, which would you
choose and why.

I may be forced (?!?!?!) into such a decision. (yeah, that's a bit of a
drive-by).

jc

Both are good saws, the 66 is legendary. The 2000 has more convenience and
safety features. For a hobby or at home use I seriously doubt that you will
ever benefit more from the robust build of the 66 over the 2000. If the saw
is run all day long every day for years on end the 66 would probably out
last the 2000.
I'd go the 2000.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:47:41 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

If you had a choice, between a powermatic 66 and a pm2000, which would you
choose and why.

I may be forced (?!?!?!) into such a decision. (yeah, that's a bit of a
drive-by).

jc

The PM66 because I'm familiar with it and for me, it's the best.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:47:41 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

If you had a choice, between a powermatic 66 and a pm2000, which would you
choose and why.

Sorry to toss in other stuff, but... Your two picks and the extra two
I'm about to mention all cut wood to identical accuracy.

I would (and did) choose a Canadian-built General 650 over an imported
PM66, if I were buying new. I closely fingered, and brutally stewed
for months over both saws before I made the decision. One of the
things I liked about the General is how the factory assembles and
shims the wings. Both saws are super beefy, but the 650 is still
built in Quebec to a very high standard. Even though I'm not
Canadian, I like those big Maple Leaf stickers on my saw. G

I don't think you hear much about General, because apparently they
only recently realized that a hobby market existed and therefore
didn't advertise much. G These folks are not the same General who
make cheap steel rulers and plastic dial calipers.

Buying used, in identical condition, I'd probably take an old PM66
over an old 650, but it might be a coin toss or depend on minute
details.

If features were my aim, I'd pick a Sawstop over a PM2000.

In fact, I might even choose the Sawstop over my 650 or PM66, if I
were buying today, now that I've touched several examples of the
Sawstop. Several local dealers carry the Sawstop, and it's a very
nicely made tool that cuts just as accurately as the saws mentioned
above, except flesh. G

There are also days that I consider selling my 650 and buying a
Sawstop. Oddly enough, if I were buying again, I might even go
right-tilt, as I do far more dadoing and rabbetting than wide bevel
ripping. Only once in the last five years have I bevel ripped
something wide enough that would not have fit on the left side of the
blade.

Good luck, I don't think any of them will be a wrong choice. It may
even come down to which one your favorite local guy carries.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 21, 9:47*pm, "Joe" wrote:
If you had a choice, between a powermatic 66 and a pm2000, which would you
choose and why.

I may be forced (?!?!?!) into such a decision. (yeah, that's a bit of a
drive-by).

jc

Tough one Joe. Are those your only options?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:47:41 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

If you had a choice, between a powermatic 66 and a pm2000, which would you
choose and why.

Sorry to toss in other stuff, but... Your two picks and the extra two
I'm about to mention all cut wood to identical accuracy.

I have never used a PM200 so I went to the Powermatic website to get
information. Unless I missed it I couldn't find if the saw is left or right
tilt. Do you know?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:06:36 -0800, "Frank Drackman"
wrote:

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:47:41 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

If you had a choice, between a powermatic 66 and a pm2000, which would you
choose and why.

Sorry to toss in other stuff, but... Your two picks and the extra two
I'm about to mention all cut wood to identical accuracy.

I have never used a PM200 so I went to the Powermatic website to get
information. Unless I missed it I couldn't find if the saw is left or right
tilt. Do you know?

I don't know for sure, but I don't think Powermatic has ever made
anything but a left tilt saw.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:47:41 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

If you had a choice, between a powermatic 66 and a pm2000, which would you
choose and why.

I've got the 66 and I love it. If someone was just giving away a
2000, I'd take it, it's got a lot of good features, but not enough to
make me spend the money to replace my 66. You'll never regret either
saw though, it comes down to money and personal preference.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:23:43 -0500, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:47:41 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

If you had a choice, between a powermatic 66 and a pm2000, which would you
choose and why.

Sorry to toss in other stuff, but... Your two picks and the extra two
I'm about to mention all cut wood to identical accuracy.

I would (and did) choose a Canadian-built General 650 over an imported
PM66, if I were buying new. I closely fingered, and brutally stewed

My PM66 was built in the USA. In fact, it was built in McMinnville,
TN, the state where I live. Sadly, that plant has changed over the
years. Today, I'm not sure where PM66s are built. The General 650
is a very fine machine too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I think it is a pretty hard decision now to not buy the Sawstop. They
are fine saws and what is a finger worth? I'd pay that difference to
get back the 3/16" bevel I trimmed off of my left pointing finger on a
RAS... although it is pointier now.

One dealer I spoke with recently commented how the Sawstop rep told
him about the tail of two high schools, one of which balked at the
extra cost of a Sawstop and the poor kid who now lives without those
few fingers. It can and does happen to anyone. In fact, more and
continuing experience just equals more exposure to the risk.

BW

On Dec 21, 6:47*pm, "Joe" wrote:
If you had a choice, between a powermatic 66 and a pm2000, which would you
choose and why.

I may be forced (?!?!?!) into such a decision. (yeah, that's a bit of a
drive-by).

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

One dealer I spoke with recently commented how the Sawstop rep told
him about the tail of two high schools, one of which balked at the
extra cost of a Sawstop and the poor kid who now lives without those
few fingers. It can and does happen to anyone. In fact, more and
continuing experience just equals more exposure to the risk.

How true, I read an article about an avid woodworker/surgeon. He pretty
much said that the more experienced the woodworker that he has repaired the
more often the accident will happen. The new woodworkers are still a bit
afraid of the tool and are more cautious.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:47:41 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

snippage

My PM66 was built in the USA. In fact, it was built in McMinnville,
TN, the state where I live. Sadly, that plant has changed over the
years. Today, I'm not sure where PM66s are built. The General 650
is a very fine machine too.

Where abouts in Tn, Phisherman? I moved from Fl to Chester County Tn about a
year ago.
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:47:41 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

snippage

My PM66 was built in the USA. In fact, it was built in McMinnville,
TN, the state where I live. Sadly, that plant has changed over the
years. Today, I'm not sure where PM66s are built. The General 650
is a very fine machine too.

Where abouts in Tn, Phisherman? I moved from Fl to Chester County Tn about a
year ago.
Tom

Now between the Cumberland and Smokies, nice mild climate and a
variety of beautiful hardwoods. Moved from L.A. in '89.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 08:07:24 -0600, "Tom Bunetta"

snip

Where abouts in Tn, Phisherman? I moved from Fl to Chester County Tn about
year ago.
Tom

Now between the Cumberland and Smokies, nice mild climate and a
variety of beautiful hardwoods. Moved from L.A. in '89.

We thought about east TN, but those beautiful mountains cause more swings in
the weather... I'm born in Miami and snow is new to me. There's less snow
and ice on the SW corner (or so we're told.)
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Tom Bunetta wrote:
"Phisherman" wrote in message

Now between the Cumberland and Smokies, nice mild climate and a
variety of beautiful hardwoods. Moved from L.A. in '89.

We thought about east TN, but those beautiful mountains cause more swings in
the weather... I'm born in Miami and snow is new to me. There's less snow
and ice on the SW corner (or so we're told.)

But the summer humid-duh-deedew is a killer...

(25 yrs in Oak Ridge area...)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Tom Bunetta wrote:
"Phisherman" wrote in message

Now between the Cumberland and Smokies, nice mild climate and a
variety of beautiful hardwoods. Moved from L.A. in '89.

We thought about east TN, but those beautiful mountains cause more swings
in the weather... I'm born in Miami and snow is new to me. There's less
snow and ice on the SW corner (or so we're told.)

But the summer humid-duh-deedew is a killer...

(25 yrs in Oak Ridge area...)

Compared to 3 miles from the Gulf in Florida, or earlier 7 miles from the
Atlantic?
Not!
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Tom Bunetta wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Tom Bunetta wrote:
"Phisherman" wrote in message

Now between the Cumberland and Smokies, nice mild climate and a
variety of beautiful hardwoods. Moved from L.A. in '89.
We thought about east TN, but those beautiful mountains cause more swings
in the weather... I'm born in Miami and snow is new to me. There's less
snow and ice on the SW corner (or so we're told.)

But the summer humid-duh-deedew is a killer...

(25 yrs in Oak Ridge area...)

Compared to 3 miles from the Gulf in Florida, or earlier 7 miles from the
Atlantic?
Not!

As compared to those, yes--they're at least within some reach of the
coastal air movements, Memphis ain't got nuthin' goin' for it in summer...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb wrote:

Memphis ain't got nuthin' goin' for it in summer...

BBQ and jazz have got to count for something.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"dpb wrote:

Memphis ain't got nuthin' goin' for it in summer...

BBQ and jazz have got to count for something.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:27:50 -0600, dpb wrote:

Tom Bunetta wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Tom Bunetta wrote:
"Phisherman" wrote in message

Now between the Cumberland and Smokies, nice mild climate and a
variety of beautiful hardwoods. Moved from L.A. in '89.
We thought about east TN, but those beautiful mountains cause more swings
in the weather... I'm born in Miami and snow is new to me. There's less
snow and ice on the SW corner (or so we're told.)
But the summer humid-duh-deedew is a killer...

(25 yrs in Oak Ridge area...)

Compared to 3 miles from the Gulf in Florida, or earlier 7 miles from the
Atlantic?
Not!

As compared to those, yes--they're at least within some reach of the
coastal air movements, Memphis ain't got nuthin' goin' for it in summer...

Living 2 hours north of Elvis' resting place I can attest it is both
the heat and humidity of August that does not move it just hangs
there.....

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

snippage

(25 yrs in Oak Ridge area...)

Compared to 3 miles from the Gulf in Florida, or earlier 7 miles from the
Atlantic?
Not!

As compared to those, yes--they're at least within some reach of the
coastal air movements, Memphis ain't got nuthin' goin' for it in summer...

--

If y'all say so...
We just went thru a truly HOT summer, but it never seemed as sticky as Fla.

Thermostat Decision [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 20th 07 09:00 PM
Band saw decision Duck Woodworking 12 July 26th 07 05:55 PM
Cyclone decision [email protected] Woodworking 11 February 2nd 05 12:17 AM
Lathe decision J. Mark Wolf Metalworking 13 January 10th 05 12:39 PM
Deck Decision Help peter Woodworking 8 July 21st 03 05:36 PM