Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermostat Decision

Hi!
I just moved into a new apartment, and seeing that I live in Florida
I'd love to save as much money cooling/heating the place as possible.
I spend most of the day out of the house, and I'd like to put in a
programmable thermostat that will control things for me.

My last apartment, I installed one myself and unfortunately it had a
heat pump and I had to buy the most expensive model that handled that.
This unit I'm not too sure of. Is there an easy way, without removing
the thermostat or anything to tell if its a heatpump or an AC/heater?

Already, when turning on the heat I can smell the dust cooking off the
elements so I'm assuming its just an electric heater, though it was 40
degrees outside when I finally turned it on. Is there any damage that
could be done by installing a thermostat and assuming it was a
heatpump when its actually a normal electric heater or visa versa?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Does the thermostat say "cool-off-heat", or "cool-off-heat- emer heat".
Heat pump if the latter. Also, most HP stats will have a light that is
marked 'Aux" or possibly 'Sup heat". I'm in S.Tx and VERY few apartments
have HP's. The ones that do not have gas are almost always just electric
heat. Cheaper initially and cheaper to maintain. The tenant pays the
bills so the complex doesn't care what it costs to run. You need the
right thermostat. Actuallly there shouldn't be that much price
difference between the two. Also, a programmable on a heat pump can
possibly cost you money instead of saving it. Depends on the outside
temp of course, but for your area, figure the heat pump costs about 1/3
as much as the heat strips. If the temp is set back enough, when the
program calls for the temp to raise to the desired occupied temp, it can
bring the strips on also,wiping out your savings.There are lots of
tricks of the trade modifications to get some savings, and make
different thermostats work, but they are probably beyond the skills of a
homeowner and best left to pros. Anyway, most of the people I have ever
talked to who pay their own bills in apts w/ electric heat, say their
bills are not really that high. Good luck Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well the one I installed in my previous apartment was 70 bucks and was
specially designed to work for both regular and heatpumps and the
others of the same model without the heat pump function were about 30
dollars less expensive. I'm glad that I shouldn't have to worrya bout
that this time, as there is no emer. heat switch on the thermostat.

Band saw decision Duck Woodworking 12 July 26th 07 05:55 PM
Cyclone decision [email protected] Woodworking 11 February 2nd 05 12:17 AM
Lathe decision J. Mark Wolf Metalworking 13 January 10th 05 12:39 PM
Deck Decision Help peter Woodworking 8 July 21st 03 05:36 PM