Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Band saw decision

I have an opportunity to buy a Delta 28-475X 14" 2HP band saw. But I'm
going to have to run a 220v line to power it as my 110v circuits are
only 20amp. I can get this saw for about the same price as the 1HP
model.

I don't currently have a band saw so I don't know what kind of use
it'll see at this point.

I'm just wondering if the hassle of running another circuit is worth
it. Or put another way, is the additional 1HP that desirable?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 23, 4:09 pm, Duck wrote:
I have an opportunity to buy a Delta 28-475X 14" 2HP band saw. But I'm
going to have to run a 220v line to power it as my 110v circuits are
only 20amp. I can get this saw for about the same price as the 1HP
model.

I don't currently have a band saw so I don't know what kind of use
it'll see at this point.

I'm just wondering if the hassle of running another circuit is worth
it. Or put another way, is the additional 1HP that desirable?

Hi Duck,

If you want to resaw, the extra power is well worth it. That is a
really nice machine. If you can learn how to resaw well, you can move
your work to a whole new realm and save a lot of money on lumber. In
my opinion, I would say go for it without question.

Chuck

Posted to rec.woodworking

the more power the better the saw get the 2hp over a 1hp any day

I have the 1 1/2 hp saw and love it

len

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:09:23 -0700, Duck wrote:

I have an opportunity to buy a Delta 28-475X 14" 2HP band saw. But I'm
going to have to run a 220v line to power it as my 110v circuits are
only 20amp. I can get this saw for about the same price as the 1HP
model.

I don't currently have a band saw so I don't know what kind of use
it'll see at this point.

I'm just wondering if the hassle of running another circuit is worth
it. Or put another way, is the additional 1HP that desirable?

HP is the least important aspect to a band saw, when properly set up.
Your bigger advantage with the X is it's US made vs the chiawanese
other models. It's just a better all around machine. If I was going
to spend that much for a band saw I would spend more and go for either
the laguna or minimax, but if you can get a deal on it then go for it.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm just wondering if the hassle of running another circuit is worth
it.

I'd vote yes. I upgraded bandsaws about a year ago, to a Griz 16"er,
which wanted 220V. Along with the dedicated 220, I ended up putting a
few new circuits in my shop, and I'm VERY glad I did.
Just my opinion...
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:09:23 -0700, Duck wrote:

I have an opportunity to buy a Delta 28-475X 14" 2HP band saw. But I'm
going to have to run a 220v line to power it as my 110v circuits are
only 20amp. I can get this saw for about the same price as the 1HP
model.

I don't currently have a band saw so I don't know what kind of use
it'll see at this point.

I'm just wondering if the hassle of running another circuit is worth
it. Or put another way, is the additional 1HP that desirable?

So has something changed? The 28-475X used to be (not so very long
ago) a 115/230 V motor, with the 230 rated at 2HP, the 115 wiring
yielded a strong 1-3/4 hp but is nameplate rated at 1-1/2 hp. Has it
become 230 only?

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

Duck wrote:

I have an opportunity to buy a Delta 28-475X 14" 2HP band saw. But I'm
going to have to run a 220v line to power it as my 110v circuits are
only 20amp. I can get this saw for about the same price as the 1HP
model.

Basic rule of thumb:

Operate equipment, especially fixed motor loads such as a bandsaw, at
highest voltage available.

1) More power delivered to the cutting blade per power $ spent.
2) Less power turned into waste heat (Fewer wasted $)
3) Smaller conductors required (Less Investment)

There is no good reason to operate at a voltage that is lower than
available.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 00:57:44 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Duck wrote:

I have an opportunity to buy a Delta 28-475X 14" 2HP band saw. But I'm
going to have to run a 220v line to power it as my 110v circuits are
only 20amp. I can get this saw for about the same price as the 1HP
model.

Basic rule of thumb:

Operate equipment, especially fixed motor loads such as a bandsaw, at
highest voltage available.

1) More power delivered to the cutting blade per power $ spent.
2) Less power turned into waste heat (Fewer wasted $)
3) Smaller conductors required (Less Investment)

There is no good reason to operate at a voltage that is lower than
available.

Lew

Lew, the OP said he " *has* to run a 220v line" and that "my 110
circuits are only 20 amps". That was my basis for my question. What
you say is true although if the cost or hassle of running a new
circuit for a saw that will see intermittant hobby use it high, then
it may not make any sense to do so.

Unless something has changed, the stock motor for that unit is
multivoltage.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Boettcher wrote:

Lew, the OP said he " *has* to run a 220v line" and that "my 110
circuits are only 20 amps". That was my basis for my question.

Understand.

To me running another circuit is NBD.

For others, it may be a bigger issue.

You can always get a 10-2/w/ground, 25 ft,molded cord set, chop of the
ends, wire the correct plug on one end, and the other into the tool.

Lowest cost way to get a cord for a tool installed.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Duck wrote:

I'm just wondering if the hassle of running another circuit is worth
it.

Once the circuit is there, it'll always be there!

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote in news:4Okpi.24030$Rw1.17669
@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

Duck wrote:

I'm just wondering if the hassle of running another circuit is worth
it.

Once the circuit is there, it'll always be there!

But in my shop space, the saw will be moved a dozen times...

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

Patriarch wrote:

But in my shop space, the saw will be moved a dozen times...

And then they'll probably be another tool near the outlet. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Duck wrote:

I have an opportunity to buy a Delta 28-475X 14" 2HP band saw. But I'm
going to have to run a 220v line to power it as my 110v circuits are
only 20amp. I can get this saw for about the same price as the 1HP
model.

I don't currently have a band saw so I don't know what kind of use
it'll see at this point.

I have 2 bandsaws: a Delta 14" with a 1/2" 3tpi blade and an ancient
Craftsman 12" with a 3/16" blade. That way I can resaw or I can do
curves and such without having to change blades.
takin' it slow and lazy,
jo4hn