Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Writing words in wood = pyrography?

Hello all.

I want to create a few presentation awards for fellow thespians and
need a way to write on the wood words along the lines of "Presented to
....."

My penmanship has degraded further from it's sorry state pre computers
with the advent of the laser printer, so I doubt I would be happy with
burning the text freehand using the pyrography tools I've seen.
Further, I don't need to burn the text on there as long as it can be
seen and read once hung on the wall.

Short of getting someone more skilled than I to do it or affixing a
brass plate, what are my options?

TIA

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mekon" wrote:

I want to create a few presentation awards for fellow thespians and need a
way to write on the wood words along the lines of "Presented to ....".

snip

Makes a good scrool saw project.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote on Monday :
"Mekon" wrote:

I want to create a few presentation awards for fellow thespians and need a
way to write on the wood words along the lines of "Presented to ....".

snip

Makes a good scrool saw project.

Lew

Writing 20 words four times with a scroll saw? I'd be dead before I
finished!

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking

After serious thinking Maxwell Lol wrote :
Mekon writes:

Short of getting someone more skilled than I to do it or affixing a
brass plate, what are my options?

You can use a laser printer to print a mirror image, and iron it on the wood.
You can then use this as a guide - and trace the ink with a burning pen.

That's a neat idea, thanks!

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 07:21:19 GMT, Mekon wrote:

Hello all.

I want to create a few presentation awards for fellow thespians and
need a way to write on the wood words along the lines of "Presented to
...."

My penmanship has degraded further from it's sorry state pre computers
with the advent of the laser printer, so I doubt I would be happy with
burning the text freehand using the pyrography tools I've seen.
Further, I don't need to burn the text on there as long as it can be
seen and read once hung on the wall.

Short of getting someone more skilled than I to do it or affixing a
brass plate, what are my options?

TIA

Mekon

Got a Dremel?
make a template with a kid's plastic stencil kit and rout it with the Dremel..

If you're handy (pun intended) you can print the sentence on paper and trace
over it with a stylus or hard pencil, then rout or burn it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mekon" wrote in message
. ..
Hello all.

I want to create a few presentation awards for fellow thespians and need a
way to write on the wood words along the lines of "Presented to ...."

My penmanship has degraded further from it's sorry state pre computers
with the advent of the laser printer, so I doubt I would be happy with
burning the text freehand using the pyrography tools I've seen.
Further, I don't need to burn the text on there as long as it can be seen
and read once hung on the wall.

Short of getting someone more skilled than I to do it or affixing a brass
plate, what are my options?

TIA

Mekon

You can also use a printer to print your text, pierce it with a needle for
an outline and then
take a finer dremel or flex-shaft bit and indent the writing. Label strips
also work well.
I prefer a stippling technique for this and, if done carefully, the results
can be more graphically impressive than pyrography. For an added touch, you
can paint the wood for contrast before doing the engraving.

Regards,

Edward he

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mekon" wrote...

I want to create a few presentation awards for fellow thespians and
need a way to write on the wood words along the lines of "Presented to
...."

The previous responses can't be correct, because they don't involve getting new tools or machinery.

Why not get a nice pantograph - make one template, then rout them all out. Save the template for future use. Here's the pantograph setup I use:

http://www.tjwoodworking.com/IMGP0665.jpg

http://www.tjwoodworking.com/IMGP0667.jpg

HTH

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mekon wrote:
Hello all.

I want to create a few presentation awards for fellow thespians and need
a way to write on the wood words along the lines of "Presented to ....."

My penmanship has degraded further from it's sorry state pre computers
with the advent of the laser printer, so I doubt I would be happy with
burning the text freehand using the pyrography tools I've seen.
Further, I don't need to burn the text on there as long as it can be
seen and read once hung on the wall.

Short of getting someone more skilled than I to do it or affixing a
brass plate, what are my options?

TIA

Mekon

Have you thought about using a laser engraving service?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova brought next idea :
Mekon wrote:
Hello all.

I want to create a few presentation awards for fellow thespians and need a
way to write on the wood words along the lines of "Presented to ....."

My penmanship has degraded further from it's sorry state pre computers
with the advent of the laser printer, so I doubt I would be happy with
burning the text freehand using the pyrography tools I've seen.
Further, I don't need to burn the text on there as long as it can be seen
and read once hung on the wall.

Short of getting someone more skilled than I to do it or affixing a brass
plate, what are my options?

TIA

Mekon

Have you thought about using a laser engraving service?

no, not really, I wanted to do it myself.

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking

Show off!
*grin*

Kate

"VibraJet" wrote in message
"Mekon" wrote...

I want to create a few presentation awards for fellow thespians and
need a way to write on the wood words along the lines of "Presented to
...."

The previous responses can't be correct, because they don't involve getting
new tools or machinery.

Why not get a nice pantograph - make one template, then rout them all out.
Save the template for future use. Here's the pantograph setup I use:

http://www.tjwoodworking.com/IMGP0665.jpg

http://www.tjwoodworking.com/IMGP0667.jpg

HTH

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

The previous responses can't be correct, because they don't involve

getting
new tools or machinery.

Why not get a nice pantograph

If that is the way you want to go, then a CNC controlled New Hermes is
the gold standard.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Mon, Oct 22, 2007, 10:29am (EDT+4)
(Mekon) doth sayeth:
Writing 20 words four times with a scroll saw? I'd be dead before I
finished!

If you're gonna repeat the same thing over and over, or just want
to burn your logo or whatever, no prob. Make a branding iron. No
biggie. You need a piece of brass about 1/8 thick. (hobby shop) ferric
chloride eching solution (radio shack) paint and small brush or a felt
marker. Paint, or draw, the design on the brass backwards. drop in
echant until thel design is raised quite a bit. Then wash it with water.
and remove the paint. (NOTE: I have NOT done this; however, I have used
a similar [or the same] etching solution to etch glass [for glass it is
a paste, apply with a small brush], using stencils. Wear rubber gloves
[don't forget and scratch your nose or rub your ear], rinse under cold
running water, use common sense; just remember, this is at your own
risk. You can use a large electric soldering iron for heat - braze, or
silver solder, the branding iron on. Or afix to a steel rod, and head
with a propane torch. I'd say put a wooden handle on. No biggie. If I
ever change my mind about just gluing a business card on the bottom or
inside of whatever, I'll make one for myself. If I run across a piece
of brass, may just make one anyway.

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T was thinking very hard :
Mon, Oct 22, 2007, 10:29am (EDT+4)
(Mekon) doth sayeth:
[...]

Thanks for that,

I'll look ino it

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking

(J T) wrote in
:

Mon, Oct 22, 2007, 10:29am (EDT+4)

(Mekon) doth sayeth:
[...]

I have done something extremely similar to this... etching my own PC
board. (In fact, I'm preparing to make a few more. It's not the 20
minutes in the etchant that's important, it's the 120 minutes spent
preparing that are!)

Ferric Chloride is something to read up on before you do anything with
it. It stains fast and permanent, and I'd never use it in a container
that would ever be used for food, even after a thorough cleaning. It
will etch away metals quite readily, and it seems to me there's
something about glass... If you take the time to read up on Ferric
Chloride (take a look at some of the PC board making sites), you can
handle it safely and effectively.

With the method JOAT described, you may run in to problems with the
etchant eating around your paint. I don't have a solution for this, but
maybe someone else does.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have never been all that impressed with wood burning, mine or
others.

Laser etching is impressive, but I know you want to do your own
thing and maybe you want to buy new tools. Here is an idea:

Stop at a local head stone company. Buy a small piece of bounce
sheet. Cut your design and writing out of the sheet. Talk it
over with the sand blaster at the headstone outfit about digging
the letters or digging the background. See what he would charge
for doing the sandblasting or buy a small harbor freight set and
compressor.

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

. ..