Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
RandyD

Default Help .. Wood burning/pyrography

Good Day All

My wife wants to try pyrography on some of my wood bowls. With
christmas coming I thought a burner would be a good toy.I believe
interchangable tips would be important to her style of drawing. Any
suggestions on what unit would be good ? Any feelings about the
Razertip units?

regards

RandyD
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
unk

Go to Treeline USA, Utah, and get a Razor tip woodburner.
They have a pencil that is a make your own tip - works great and very
versitile - then get an old toaster and pull out the wire element and there
you have enough wire to make a lifetime supply of burning tips for your
multi-tip pencil! I have the dual razortip unit and swear by it!

"RandyD" wrote in message
Good Day All

My wife wants to try pyrography on some of my wood bowls. With
christmas coming I thought a burner would be a good toy.I believe
interchangable tips would be important to her style of drawing. Any
suggestions on what unit would be good ? Any feelings about the
Razertip units?

regards

RandyD

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

I like my Razortip which I purchased from Lee Valley

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Storey

THAT is a great tip! Gonna have to give that a go!

"unk" wrote in message
get an old toaster and pull out the wire element and there
you have enough wire to make a lifetime supply of burning tips for your
multi-tip pencil!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

it may be a great tip, but it won't work very well, I'm afraid. you
need thicker wire - at least the wire in MY toaster is flat. also,
your pyrography pen runs about a volt (maybe 2 or 3) across the tip,
your toaster runs 110(or 220) across the heater

"unk" wrote in message
get an old toaster and pull out the wire element and there
you have enough wire to make a lifetime supply of burning tips for your
multi-tip pencil!

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Jack

I recently bought a Burnmaster Unit with separate Razertip pens and am
VERY pleased with the combo. The Burnmaster price was significantly
lower than other comparable units.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Andrews

William B Noble (don't reply to this address) wrote:
it may be a great tip, but it won't work very well, I'm afraid. you
need thicker wire - at least the wire in MY toaster is flat. also,
your pyrography pen runs about a volt (maybe 2 or 3) across the tip,
your toaster runs 110(or 220) across the heater

Yes, but in a toaster you have 110V across a long piece of wire. The
razertip only uses about an inch, so you may get just as much current.

But I do agree that some experimention may be needed, or better still
some scientific forethought and a multimeter. Darrell no doubt places
his trust in God when wiring up electric circuits Others may want to
excercise more caution.

Personally I have found the ready made tips last for years.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com - a blog for my customers
http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com/TheToolrest/ - a blog for woodturners

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:04:46 -0500, RandyD wrote:

Good Day All

My wife wants to try pyrography on some of my wood bowls. With
christmas coming I thought a burner would be a good toy.I believe
interchangable tips would be important to her style of drawing. Any
suggestions on what unit would be good ? Any feelings about the
Razertip units?

regards

RandyD

I bought my wife a dual-pen digital setup last year and she loves it...
She signs all my stuff with it and does quite a bit of art work...

If you'd like info or specifics, send me an email..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Derek
I do trust in God when wiring up electrical circuits, but I figure He gave
me a multimeter for a reason :-)

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate