DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Help .. Wood burning/pyrography (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/133886-help-wood-burning-pyrography.html)

RandyD December 2nd 05 06:04 PM

Help .. Wood burning/pyrography

Good Day All

My wife wants to try pyrography on some of my wood bowls. With
christmas coming I thought a burner would be a good toy.I believe
interchangable tips would be important to her style of drawing. Any
suggestions on what unit would be good ? Any feelings about the
Razertip units?

regards

RandyD

unk December 2nd 05 07:33 PM

Help .. Wood burning/pyrography

Go to Treeline USA, Utah, and get a Razor tip woodburner.
They have a pencil that is a make your own tip - works great and very
versitile - then get an old toaster and pull out the wire element and there
you have enough wire to make a lifetime supply of burning tips for your
multi-tip pencil! I have the dual razortip unit and swear by it!

Darrell Feltmate December 2nd 05 08:46 PM

Help .. Wood burning/pyrography

I like my Razortip which I purchased from Lee Valley

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Tom Storey December 3rd 05 03:35 AM

Help .. Wood burning/pyrography

THAT is a great tip! Gonna have to give that a go!

"unk" wrote in message
get an old toaster and pull out the wire element and there
you have enough wire to make a lifetime supply of burning tips for your
multi-tip pencil!

William B Noble (don't reply to this address) December 3rd 05 07:39 AM

Help .. Wood burning/pyrography

it may be a great tip, but it won't work very well, I'm afraid. you
need thicker wire - at least the wire in MY toaster is flat. also,
your pyrography pen runs about a volt (maybe 2 or 3) across the tip,
your toaster runs 110(or 220) across the heater

"unk" wrote in message
get an old toaster and pull out the wire element and there
you have enough wire to make a lifetime supply of burning tips for your
multi-tip pencil!

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

Jack December 3rd 05 12:50 PM

Help .. Wood burning/pyrography

I recently bought a Burnmaster Unit with separate Razertip pens and am
VERY pleased with the combo. The Burnmaster price was significantly
lower than other comparable units.

Derek Andrews December 3rd 05 03:06 PM

William B Noble (don't reply to this address) wrote:
it may be a great tip, but it won't work very well, I'm afraid. you
need thicker wire - at least the wire in MY toaster is flat. also,
your pyrography pen runs about a volt (maybe 2 or 3) across the tip,
your toaster runs 110(or 220) across the heater

Yes, but in a toaster you have 110V across a long piece of wire. The
razertip only uses about an inch, so you may get just as much current.

But I do agree that some experimention may be needed, or better still
some scientific forethought and a multimeter. Darrell no doubt places
his trust in God when wiring up electric circuits:) Others may want to
excercise more caution.

Personally I have found the ready made tips last for years.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com - a blog for my customers
http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com/TheToolrest/ - a blog for woodturners

mac davis December 3rd 05 04:52 PM

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:04:46 -0500, RandyD wrote:

Good Day All

My wife wants to try pyrography on some of my wood bowls. With
christmas coming I thought a burner would be a good toy.I believe
interchangable tips would be important to her style of drawing. Any
suggestions on what unit would be good ? Any feelings about the
Razertip units?

regards

RandyD

I bought my wife a dual-pen digital setup last year and she loves it...
She signs all my stuff with it and does quite a bit of art work...

If you'd like info or specifics, send me an email..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Darrell Feltmate December 3rd 05 07:52 PM

Help .. Wood burning/pyrography

Derek
I do trust in God when wiring up electrical circuits, but I figure He gave
me a multimeter for a reason :-)

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate