Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Writing words in wood = pyrography?

Mon, Oct 22, 2007, 10:29am (EDT+4)
(Mekon) doth sayeth:
Writing 20 words four times with a scroll saw? I'd be dead before I
finished!

If you're gonna repeat the same thing over and over, or just want
to burn your logo or whatever, no prob. Make a branding iron. No
biggie. You need a piece of brass about 1/8 thick. (hobby shop) ferric
chloride eching solution (radio shack) paint and small brush or a felt
marker. Paint, or draw, the design on the brass backwards. drop in
echant until thel design is raised quite a bit. Then wash it with water.
and remove the paint. (NOTE: I have NOT done this; however, I have used
a similar [or the same] etching solution to etch glass [for glass it is
a paste, apply with a small brush], using stencils. Wear rubber gloves
[don't forget and scratch your nose or rub your ear], rinse under cold
running water, use common sense; just remember, this is at your own
risk. You can use a large electric soldering iron for heat - braze, or
silver solder, the branding iron on. Or afix to a steel rod, and head
with a propane torch. I'd say put a wooden handle on. No biggie. If I
ever change my mind about just gluing a business card on the bottom or
inside of whatever, I'll make one for myself. If I run across a piece
of brass, may just make one anyway.

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."