Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Suggestions for cuting board finish?

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

I remember reading some of those studies years ago. University of
Wisconsin comes to mind, but memory may have faded.

Conclusion was that while all cutting boards can have bacteria after
use, the manmade materials would continue to allow bacteria growth,
while something about wood inhibits the growth and time would take
care of any residual critters.

Like Robert, I prefer wood but that's just "because". I am surprised at

the
results you quote above. I would have thought exactly the opposite to be
true. In fact, I might even say "are you sure?..."

It boils down to who you want to believe, and apparently, the type of
"bacteria":

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...tingboard.html

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...ournalCode=jfs

Last week coffee was bad for you, this week, according to published reports,
it is good for you ... same with red wine, red meat, olive oil, eggs ... you
ain't getting out of here alive in any event, so enjoy.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/17/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:44:22 -0500, "Michael Faurot"
wrote:

I've made a number of cutting boards, for personal use and as gifts,
and I've finished all of them with Watco Butcher Block Oil &
Finish[1]. I've just followed the instructions on the can, especially
where it concerns final dry time before being used for food
preparation, and I've had good results.

(I'm in Mexico, so if it works, that's fine, no EPA here)

I'm not sure where you could get Watco stuff locally in Mexico or
on-line. I'm in Texas and get it locally from Lowe's.

[1]: http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp...t_id=757&SBL=1

We do a shopping trip to Calexico or Yuma once a month or so..
No one has HEARD of Danish Oil here and I use a lot of it on my turnings, so I
stock up when we go..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 00:59:03 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

This thread comes along every few months, and I always get a

chuckle.
snip

I'm curious.

In this day and age of low cost, FDA approved, polypropolene cutting
boards, why bother making a wooden one except as a display piece or a
gift.

Lew

In this case, it's sort of an old friend to the cook and he wants to keep using
it, just needs it resurfaced..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:07:14 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Last week coffee was bad for you, this week, according to published reports,
it is good for you ... same with red wine, red meat, olive oil, eggs ... you
ain't getting out of here alive in any event, so enjoy.

Yep.. My grandfather ate, drank and smoked all the stuff that's bad for you
now.. and died at a very cranky 108..
My folks said that he was just too mean to die..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message

Yep.. My grandfather ate, drank and smoked all the stuff that's bad for

you
now.. and died at a very cranky 108..
My folks said that he was just too mean to die..

My paternal grandfather smoked, and inhaled, Prince Albert pipe tobacco in a
pipe, for almost 80 years. The doctors made him quit at 96, and he only
lived another 3 years after that. My Dad claims it was the aggravation of
having to quit, and not the smoking, that finally got to him.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/17/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:13:00 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

I made a maple cutting board/block in 1969 in Jr. High shop class. To this
day my wife uses it every day and it is still just fine, no oil or finish at
all.
I did run it through the planer to flatten it back out about 3 years ago.

Same here. I've got a built-in cutting board in the kitchen that was
made sometime in the 50s and it does just fine with no or minimal
finish on it. About a year ago, I took it out and planed it to take
out some of the marks that couldn't be easily sanded out, reassembled
it and put it back without oil and it's doing just fine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 08:35:25 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

I hadn't even thought about planing.. have to see if it just needs sanding or if
the planer would be a good idea first..

I ended up planing it, both to get rid of some deep cuts and because
of a couple cracks between boards were starting to widen. I had to
cut the board down to get it through the planer anyhow, I simply cut
it apart at the cracks, planed it to uniform thickness and reglued.
You can't tell there were ever any problems.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:23:56 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
.. .

I remember reading some of those studies years ago. University of
Wisconsin comes to mind, but memory may have faded.

Conclusion was that while all cutting boards can have bacteria after
use, the manmade materials would continue to allow bacteria growth,
while something about wood inhibits the growth and time would take
care of any residual critters.

Like Robert, I prefer wood but that's just "because". I am surprised at the
results you quote above. I would have thought exactly the opposite to be
true. In fact, I might even say "are you sure?..."

Surprised me too. I'm only sure I read some of the studies and what
they concluded. The bacteria didn't reproduce or multply or whatever
bacteria do on the wooden boards. Maybe something to do with the ph
or tanic acid or something. I can't remember why just that it was
reported as so.

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"mac davis" wrote in message

Yep.. My grandfather ate, drank and smoked all the stuff that's bad for

you
now.. and died at a very cranky 108..
My folks said that he was just too mean to die..

Russians say "One who neither smokes nor drinks dies healthy." (Rhymes in
Russian)

Isn't that what we all want?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George" wrote:

Russians say "One who neither smokes nor drinks dies healthy."

(Rhymes in
Russian)

Three Jolly Coachmen, courtesy of the Kingston Trio.
(Repeat lines deleted)

....now here's to the man who goes to bed quite mellow,
he goes to bed quite mellow.

....now here's to the man who goes to bed quite sober,
he'll die before October.

....now here's to the lass who steals a kiss,
and runs to tell her mother,

She's a foolish, foolish thing,
for she'll nare get another.

....now here's to the lass who steals a kiss,
and stays to steal another,

She's a boon to all mankind,
for she'll soon be a mother.

man who goes to bed quite mellow,
he goes to bed quite mellow.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 00:00:46 GMT, "George" wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
m...
"mac davis" wrote in message

Yep.. My grandfather ate, drank and smoked all the stuff that's bad for

you
now.. and died at a very cranky 108..
My folks said that he was just too mean to die..

Russians say "One who neither smokes nor drinks dies healthy." (Rhymes in
Russian)

Isn't that what we all want?

Hmmm... He WAS Russian..lol
He drank his home made wine and smoked those evil black cigars all his life...
Spent most of his life as a cooper so he made barrels at home, too..

He actually complained to neighbors when the family wouldn't let him buy a power
lawn mower... at 97 years old..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I hadn't even thought about planing.. have to see if it just needs sanding or if
the planer would be a good idea first..

I ended up planing it, both to get rid of some deep cuts and because
of a couple cracks between boards were starting to widen. I had to
cut the board down to get it through the planer anyhow, I simply cut
it apart at the cracks, planed it to uniform thickness and reglued.
You can't tell there were ever any problems.

Good point!
I have no idea how wide this beast is.. might not fit in the planer..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"mac davis" wrote in message

Yep.. My grandfather ate, drank and smoked all the stuff that's
bad for
you
now.. and died at a very cranky 108..
My folks said that he was just too mean to die..

Russians say "One who neither smokes nor drinks dies healthy."
(Rhymes in Russian)

Isn't that what we all want?

Hmmm... He WAS Russian..lol
He drank his home made wine and smoked those evil black cigars all
his life... Spent most of his life as a cooper so he made barrels at
home, too..

He actually complained to neighbors when the family wouldn't let him
buy a power lawn mower... at 97 years old..

Heartless *******s. At 97 I can see where he might be getting
decrepit enough to need it.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:

I got a call from a friend with a restaurant today, asking if I could sand and
refinish his 2 cutting boards..

They're "several" inches thick and used to have "some shiny stuff" on them..lol

I'll look at them Friday night but thought I'd get some opinions here on what to
use for a coating/finish on 'em..

I e-did one in our house in the states using a commercial "cutting board
finish"but can't remember what it was, only that it had an evil lemon smell that
my wife hated.. lol

Any suggestions?

(I'm in Mexico, so if it works, that's fine, no EPA here)

Thanks,

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

===
Mac,
You can do several things with the boards.
- plane it (resurface it), so it is flat again.
- if it will be used for decorations, any high gloss finish will do,
- if it will be used on a daily basis in the kitchen, a good coating of mineral oil
will kill off any bacteria that may want to establish residence in the board's
cuts. After letting the oil soak for several hours, wipe off any excess with a
paper towel or kitchen towel. Repeat the mineral oil application once a week if it
is used on a daily basis (you mentioned a restaurant, that would mean daily). If
for home use you can get by with a monthly application, but more often if you are
paranoid about bacteria, salmonella and that kind of stuff. I have several cutting
boards and they get the mineral oil treatment once a month if they need it or not.
Do not wash with soap and water, plain warm water will do, the soap will wash away
the mineral oil.

My two centavos.

Ray
Austin, TX
===

Posted to rec.woodworking

This thread comes along every few months, and I always get a
chuckle.
snip

I'm curious.

In this day and age of low cost, FDA approved, polypropolene cutting
boards, why bother making a wooden one except as a display piece or a
gift.

Because the scrap dishwasher I was discarding had a top made of maple that
was just right to make into cutting boards. I had a large HDPE cutting
board I made 15 years ago, and another that my wife bought that was too
small. I wanted an inbetween one, so I made it out of the scrap wood. Now
all the relatives are asking for copies.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" wrote in message
- if it will be used on a daily basis in the kitchen, a good coating of
mineral oil
will kill off any bacteria that may want to establish residence in the
board's
cuts.

HUH? We kill bacteria by putting salt out to draw the water from their
cytoplasm or emulsifying their cell walls with detergent. If you remember
your Biology, the lipid bilayer cell walls are hydrophobic, and would love
the company of oil to hide them from the things that would lyse them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:29:35 -0400, "J. Clarke" wrote:

He actually complained to neighbors when the family wouldn't let him
buy a power lawn mower... at 97 years old..

Heartless *******s. At 97 I can see where he might be getting
decrepit enough to need it.

--

I wonder if they were worried about him cutting his own foot off, or chasing
neighbors with it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:29:17 GMT, "Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman"
wrote:

[...]

I'm picking it up tonight, Ray, and will see what I'm getting into..

Depending on size and condition, I'll sand or maybe plane it and recommend that
he leave it unfinished...
I don't want to spend a lot of time on it because I'm hoping to make it a quick
job and not charge for it.. (networking!)

If there's anything a restaurant here has an abundance of, it's salt and limes..
lol