Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wood for grilling planks

What woods are good for grilling planks and how thick should they be? Looked
at the local borg and they had western cedar, two planks,, for $8. I know
Alder is another one. Also, how long to soak them in water? The ones at the
borg said one hour, but that doesn't seem very long for something going into
a grill at 350 degrees.
I read the directions on the ones at the borg, but just couldn't bring
myself to spend that much for them.

Thanks for any info.
Jimmy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jimmy" wrote in message
. net...
What woods are good for grilling planks and how thick should they be?
Looked at the local borg and they had western cedar, two planks,, for $8.
I know Alder is another one. Also, how long to soak them in water? The
ones at the borg said one hour, but that doesn't seem very long for
something going into a grill at 350 degrees.
I read the directions on the ones at the borg, but just couldn't bring
myself to spend that much for them.

Thanks for any info.
Jimmy

If you don't believe the instructions about soaking the wood for an hour,
why would you believe anything we tell you?

Experiment and do as you see fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jimmy" wrote in message
. net...
What woods are good for grilling planks and how thick should they be?
Looked at the local borg and they had western cedar, two planks,, for $8.
I know Alder is another one. Also, how long to soak them in water? The
ones at the borg said one hour, but that doesn't seem very long for
something going into a grill at 350 degrees.
I read the directions on the ones at the borg, but just couldn't bring
myself to spend that much for them.

Thanks for any info.
Jimmy

It's all there on the web, try
http://www.justsmokedsalmon.com/plankrecipes.htm

Search "planked salmon" for other recipes and methods.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George" wrote in message
. net...

"Jimmy" wrote in message
. net...
What woods are good for grilling planks and how thick should they be?
Looked at the local borg and they had western cedar, two planks,, for $8.
I know Alder is another one. Also, how long to soak them in water? The
ones at the borg said one hour, but that doesn't seem very long for
something going into a grill at 350 degrees.
I read the directions on the ones at the borg, but just couldn't bring
myself to spend that much for them.

Thanks for any info.
Jimmy

It's all there on the web, try
http://www.justsmokedsalmon.com/plankrecipes.htm

Search "planked salmon" for other recipes and methods.

Almost forgot - the ignition temperature of the plank exceeds 350 degrees
(~570F). Now does it make sense?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the info. I know people here have mentioned using planks before,
didn't know the ignition temp. of the wood.
"George" wrote in message
. net...

"George" wrote in message
. net...

"Jimmy" wrote in message
. net...
What woods are good for grilling planks and how thick should they be?
Looked at the local borg and they had western cedar, two planks,, for
$8. I know Alder is another one. Also, how long to soak them in water?
The ones at the borg said one hour, but that doesn't seem very long for
something going into a grill at 350 degrees.
I read the directions on the ones at the borg, but just couldn't bring
myself to spend that much for them.

Thanks for any info.
Jimmy

It's all there on the web, try
http://www.justsmokedsalmon.com/plankrecipes.htm

Search "planked salmon" for other recipes and methods.

Almost forgot - the ignition temperature of the plank exceeds 350 degrees
(~570F). Now does it make sense?

Posted to rec.woodworking

This is my specialty. Use regular (non-treated) cedar fence boards. Plane or
sand one side so you don't get splinters in the fish.. Cut to length to fit
your BBQ, or the number of filets you're cooking. Soak for an hour, spray a
little PAM on the top. Place fish on board. Add a pat of butter and some
"Old Bay" seasoning.
Put in the BBQ with low/medium heat under the board and high heat on the
side. (So most of the heat comes from above. Cook for about 10-20 minutes.
Keep an eye on it. Your guests will rave about it.

Bob

"Jimmy" wrote in message
et...
Thanks for the info. I know people here have mentioned using planks
before, didn't know the ignition temp. of the wood.
"George" wrote in message
. net...

"George" wrote in message
. net...

"Jimmy" wrote in message
. net...
What woods are good for grilling planks and how thick should they be?
Looked at the local borg and they had western cedar, two planks,, for
$8. I know Alder is another one. Also, how long to soak them in water?
The ones at the borg said one hour, but that doesn't seem very long for
something going into a grill at 350 degrees.
I read the directions on the ones at the borg, but just couldn't bring
myself to spend that much for them.

Thanks for any info.
Jimmy

It's all there on the web, try
http://www.justsmokedsalmon.com/plankrecipes.htm

Search "planked salmon" for other recipes and methods.

Almost forgot - the ignition temperature of the plank exceeds 350 degrees
(~570F). Now does it make sense?

Posted to rec.woodworking

don't be afraid to try a nice pork tender loin on a cedar plank, do a
rub with brown sugar rosemary paprika and a little garlic heat until the
center hits 160 and let it taste good. depending on the size of the loin
only takes about 20 min. oh ya i forgot sear the roast before planking
it.
ross
www.highislandexport.com
cedar planks on site

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ross Hebeisen" wrote in message
don't be afraid to try a nice pork tender loin on a cedar plank, do a
rub with brown sugar rosemary paprika and a little garlic heat until the
center hits 160 and let it taste good. depending on the size of the loin
only takes about 20 min. oh ya i forgot sear the roast before planking
it.
ross
www.highislandexport.com
cedar planks on site

That's over done! I take tenderloins off at 125, loins at 145 to 150.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

That's over done! I take tenderloins off at 125, loins at 145 to 150.

Especially since the meat continues to cook, if you let it rest.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 14, 9:26 am, "Jimmy" wrote:
What woods are good for grilling planks and how thick should they be? Looked
at the local borg and they had western cedar, two planks,, for $8. I know
Alder is another one. Also, how long to soak them in water? The ones at the
borg said one hour, but that doesn't seem very long for something going into
a grill at 350 degrees.
I read the directions on the ones at the borg, but just couldn't bring
myself to spend that much for them.

Thanks for any info.
Jimmy

$8 for 2 grilling planks?

I go to my local lumber yard and buy a 1 x 8 x 8' S1S board for about
$11. I cut it into 12" lengths and round over the edges to keep them
from flaming up.

Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS JGS is offline

Can the boards be reused without having to plane off 1/4" from each side?
Thanks, JG

"Bob Meyer" wrote in message
This is my specialty. Use regular (non-treated) cedar fence boards. Plane
or sand one side so you don't get splinters in the fish.. Cut to length to
fit your BBQ, or the number of filets you're cooking. Soak for an hour,
spray a little PAM on the top. Place fish on board. Add a pat of butter
and some "Old Bay" seasoning.
Put in the BBQ with low/medium heat under the board and high heat on the
side. (So most of the heat comes from above. Cook for about 10-20 minutes.
Keep an eye on it. Your guests will rave about it.

Bob

"Jimmy" wrote in message
et...
Thanks for the info. I know people here have mentioned using planks
before, didn't know the ignition temp. of the wood.
"George" wrote in message
. net...

"George" wrote in message
. net...

"Jimmy" wrote in message
. net...
What woods are good for grilling planks and how thick should they be?
Looked at the local borg and they had western cedar, two planks,, for
$8. I know Alder is another one. Also, how long to soak them in water?
The ones at the borg said one hour, but that doesn't seem very long
for something going into a grill at 350 degrees.
I read the directions on the ones at the borg, but just couldn't bring
myself to spend that much for them.

Thanks for any info.
Jimmy

It's all there on the web, try
http://www.justsmokedsalmon.com/plankrecipes.htm

Search "planked salmon" for other recipes and methods.

Almost forgot - the ignition temperature of the plank exceeds 350
degrees (~570F). Now does it make sense?

Posted to rec.woodworking

if your just going to the lumber yard to get your cedar, be aware that
it may have been treated for insects or fungis or you could just season
with a little diazinon or diathane if you feel the need for the
treating. i agree paying 8 bucks seems a little bit much but it's
cheaper than cancer treatment. then again i've seen people try to make
fine furniture outta pallets
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 15, 8:39 am, (Ross Hebeisen) wrote:
if your just going to the lumber yard to get your cedar, be aware that
it may have been treated for insects or fungis

Very true...I told the yard that I was using the cedar for grilling
and was told the cedar was not treated in any way. This was from the
guy in the nice shirt at the front counter, not the 17 year-old in the
ripped T-shirt driving the forklift.

or you could just season
with a little diazinon or diathane if you feel the need for the
treating. i agree paying 8 bucks seems a little bit much but it's
cheaper than cancer treatment. then again i've seen people try to make
fine furniture outta pallets
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 15, 8:39 am, (Ross Hebeisen) wrote:
if your just going to the lumber yard to get your cedar, be aware that
it may have been treated for insects or fungis

Very true...I told the yard that I was using the cedar for grilling
and was told the cedar was not treated in any way. This was from the
guy in the nice shirt at the front counter, not the 17 year-old in the
ripped T-shirt driving the forklift.

And this nicely dressed fellow would be sure to know what might have
been done at the kiln as it was dried even if it wasn't preservative
treated?

(Not that its very likely w/ cedar and I'm not suggesting it was, simply
questioning the reliance of the information source as being
infallible... )

Posted to rec.woodworking

thanks Derb, as far as the guy with the nice shirt knowing anything puts
me in mind of how much loggers here in minnesota do not know about logs,
they yust cut'tm down cut'tum up and take'm to da mill.
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Ross Hebeisen wrote:
thanks Derb, as far as the guy with the nice shirt knowing anything puts
me in mind of how much loggers here in minnesota do not know about logs,
they yust cut'tm down cut'tum up and take'm to da mill.

Yah!

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Ross Hebeisen wrote:

thanks Derb, as far as the guy with the nice shirt knowing anything puts
me in mind of how much loggers here in minnesota do not know about logs,
they yust cut'tm down cut'tum up and take'm to da mill.

Yah!

Doesn't the thin edge catch on fire? Even when I round over the edges
on the 1 x stock, I sometimes get some flames around the edges. Spritz
Spritz.

Posted to rec.woodworking

No. They're burnt on the bottom, and have fish goop on the top. Make sure
they're not smoldering and toss them.

Bob

"Bob Meyer" wrote in message
This is my specialty. Use regular (non-treated) cedar fence boards. Plane
or sand one side so you don't get splinters in the fish.. Cut to length
to fit your BBQ, or the number of filets you're cooking. Soak for an
hour, spray a little PAM on the top. Place fish on board. Add a pat of
butter and some "Old Bay" seasoning.
Put in the BBQ with low/medium heat under the board and high heat on the
side. (So most of the heat comes from above. Cook for about 10-20
minutes. Keep an eye on it. Your guests will rave about it.

Bob

"Jimmy" wrote in message
et...
Thanks for the info. I know people here have mentioned using planks
before, didn't know the ignition temp. of the wood.
"George" wrote in message
. net...

"George" wrote in message
. net...