Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default wood for grilling planks

On Jul 14, 9:26 am, "Jimmy" wrote:
What woods are good for grilling planks and how thick should they be? Looked
at the local borg and they had western cedar, two planks,, for $8. I know
Alder is another one. Also, how long to soak them in water? The ones at the
borg said one hour, but that doesn't seem very long for something going into
a grill at 350 degrees.
I read the directions on the ones at the borg, but just couldn't bring
myself to spend that much for them.

Thanks for any info.
Jimmy

$8 for 2 grilling planks?

I go to my local lumber yard and buy a 1 x 8 x 8' S1S board for about
$11. I cut it into 12" lengths and round over the edges to keep them
from flaming up.