Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Grilling with propane over lava

My friend says that when one uses a propane grill, the idea is to get
the lava rocks so hot that they grill the food, and if there isn't
enough lava, I don't know why or in what way, but the result isn't as
good.

Is this so? When cooking a steak or hambrugers, what about it the
result is not as good?

I have enough lava that I can only see the gas flame in a few small
places, but I think he thinks I need more. And he's offered to give
me some because he has left-overs -- he's a very nice guy. But I
would like to understand and know whether to buy some since he lives a
couple hours away, might not find his supply, etc.

Thanks

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm writes:

Is this so? When cooking a steak or hambrugers, what about it the
result is not as good?

The heat is too concentrated and spotty. Some food gets burned while other
food is undercooked. The idea is that the lava rocks spread the heat out
across the grilling surface, and makes it even. This doesn't work too well
on gas grills; never has and never will.

A bed of charcoal is much better at this. I tried charcoal again after
decades of propane, and the difference is amazing.

The benefit to propane is the convenience. The cooking is inferior.
Posted to alt.home.repair

from buffalo ny: but subject to your own grill's directions, in out 2
burner propane tank gas grill, i used to preheat the lava rocks 10
minutes on high with the top closed. the fat from your steak drips as
it cooks over the pre-heated lava rocks and smokes, adding flavor to
your steak. it is just like a hamburger does over a simpler charcoal
briquet fire that's preheated to white coals. this info is from the
1980's when this was everyday outdoor cooking in the summertime.
there are modern metal devices which may be a part of your newer grill
which may accomplish that.
incredible recipes and advice at:
http://www.barbecuen.com/ask.htm
safe cooking info at:
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/PDF/IsItDoneYet_Brochure.pdf

mm wrote:
My friend says that when one uses a propane grill, the idea is to get
the lava rocks so hot that they grill the food, and if there isn't
enough lava, I don't know why or in what way, but the result isn't as
good.

Is this so? When cooking a steak or hambrugers, what about it the
result is not as good?

I have enough lava that I can only see the gas flame in a few small
places, but I think he thinks I need more. And he's offered to give
me some because he has left-overs -- he's a very nice guy. But I
would like to understand and know whether to buy some since he lives a
couple hours away, might not find his supply, etc.

Thanks

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 00:11:22 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

mm writes:

Is this so? When cooking a steak or hambrugers, what about it the
result is not as good?

The heat is too concentrated and spotty. Some food gets burned while other
food is undercooked. The idea is that the lava rocks spread the heat out
across the grilling surface, and makes it even. This doesn't work too well

OK. I'll definitely accept his lava, when he gets back in the spring,
although really, this hasn't been a problem for me. He used my grill
once after he bought some ground beef here. So he does have an ideal
of what it's like. But I've replaced the burner since then and the
flame is a lot hotter. (Thhe original burner had rusted into two
separate layers. I glued it together with PC-70, and it worked pretty
well despite the fire only a couple millimeters away, but eventually
broke into top and bottom plates. PC-70 is great, although I saw
yesterday that the Home Depot nearest me only has it in the smallest
size, a 2-ended tube. Better the 4 oz cans, and there is also a
bigger size than that for people who use it all the time. It doesn't
get old, because I've gone 5 or 10 years from purchase and it's as
good as new, if you don't let any A get on B or vice versa.)

on gas grills; never has and never will.

I agree with you on that. I have a 3 segment hibachi gradually
rusting away and I liked it, but got tired of fiddling with the
charcoal, and waiting till it got hot, and a friend gave me a gas
grill.

A bed of charcoal is much better at this. I tried charcoal again after
decades of propane, and the difference is amazing.

Maybe I'll do that too. One has to suffer to fully appreciate what is
good. I am not at all worried about burning fat. It's one of the
best parts, that I don't have most of the time now. I should buy
cheaper cuts, or ground beef with more fat.

The benefit to propane is the convenience. The cooking is inferior.

For the first time in 15 years, the ignitor is igniting!! No more
matches. Talk about convenience. Life is good.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 15 Dec 2006 22:40:26 -0800, "buffalobill"
wrote:

from buffalo ny: but subject to your own grill's directions, in out 2
burner propane tank gas grill, i used to preheat the lava rocks 10

I've been heating them for about 5 minutes, but I'll try 10. It will
make the grill hotter and sear the meat better, I guess.

minutes on high with the top closed. the fat from your steak drips as
it cooks over the pre-heated lava rocks and smokes, adding flavor to
your steak. it is just like a hamburger does over a simpler charcoal
briquet fire that's preheated to white coals. this info is from the
1980's when this was everyday outdoor cooking in the summertime.

Since I still live in the '60's and don't use AC except maybe two
weeks a year, the grill really does keep the house from getting hot
from cooking.

there are modern metal devices which may be a part of your newer grill
which may accomplish that.

My grill is newer to me, but not so new. My friend found it along the
road when she took her nightly walk. It had a sign marked "FREE". So
I went and got it. It did need a new burner, but it has an igniter
(which was broken on my first one, the one a friend gave me) and it
has a burner like on a gas kitchen stove, which I haven't used yet.

But the first one had a rotisserie, and even though I only used it
once or twice, it was wonderful. I bought a second motor at a rummage
sale for a dollar, but I haven't yet figured out how to attach either
motor to this grill. I was probably depressed before. Now that that
is gone, I'm sure I'll have ideas in the spring. It's amazing how I
think better and quicker than I did.