Posted to rec.woodworking

Default INSPIRATION: my router bit storage

Hello,
I recently "upgraded" my router bit storage system, and thought I'd
share some photos in case anyone's looking for inspiration. My new
storage solution started when I found an old 3.5" floppy disk storage
drawer in the discard pile at work (I guess saying "OLD 3.5" floppy
disk" is redundant...). I thought it looked handy for this
application, so I grabbed it. I cut a few pieces of 5/4 butternut
(because that's what I had handy) to fit snugly in the drawers, and
drilled holes spaced at semi-arbitrary distances. I mounted the
drawer under my router table for quick access to bits, but it closes
up so dust/chips can't collect on the bits or in empty holes.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...bitstorage.jpg
The unused collet sits nicely in a 3/8" (IIRC) hole, and slotting
cutters fit over a 1/4" dowel, as seen in the second photo:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...itstorage2.jpg
The only problem? I can't buy very many more router bits... Right. I
mean, soon I'll have to move the least-used bits to an alternate
storage location.
The photos made me realize I need to work on getting more colorful
bits - so far I've been pretty partial to various shades of gray: MLCS
(decent quality on a budget + free shipping) and Infinity (great
quality IMO at moderate prices). My only CMT bit is an upcut spiral,
which doesn't have any orange. Oh, well.
Hope this is, well, inspirational...
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bas Bas is offline

Andy wrote:
(I guess saying "OLD 3.5" floppy disk" is redundant...).

snip
Hope this is, well, inspirational...

It sure is! That's a great idea. If I search really hard, I might be
able to find some old plastic boxes that hold 8" (now _that's_ old!)
floppies. Those would hold the blades for my circular saw really well.

Bas.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy wrote:

The photos made me realize I need to work on getting more colorful
bits - so far I've been pretty partial to various shades of gray: MLCS
(decent quality on a budget + free shipping) and Infinity (great
quality IMO at moderate prices). My only CMT bit is an upcut spiral,
which doesn't have any orange. Oh, well.
Hope this is, well, inspirational...
Andy

DEFINTELY Inspirational! I have several nice teakwood floppy storage
drawers that I was considering throwing out or giving to St Vincent
DePaul. Your router-bit storage idea has saved them from oblivion.

--Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

DEFINTELY Inspirational! I have several nice teakwood floppy storage
drawers that I was considering throwing out or giving to St Vincent
DePaul. Your router-bit storage idea has saved them from oblivion.

Hey - glad I could keep something out of a landfill or burn pile.
Another recycling idea - as libraries toss/auction/give away their old
card catalogs, those could be good for router bit storage too. Or
with some dividers, they could store drill bits, hardware, fasteners,
etc. etc. etc... And they already have little slots for labels built
right in.
Andy