Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Andy is offline

Default INSPIRATION: my router bit storage

Hello,
I recently "upgraded" my router bit storage system, and thought I'd
share some photos in case anyone's looking for inspiration. My new
storage solution started when I found an old 3.5" floppy disk storage
drawer in the discard pile at work (I guess saying "OLD 3.5" floppy
disk" is redundant...). I thought it looked handy for this
application, so I grabbed it. I cut a few pieces of 5/4 butternut
(because that's what I had handy) to fit snugly in the drawers, and
drilled holes spaced at semi-arbitrary distances. I mounted the
drawer under my router table for quick access to bits, but it closes
up so dust/chips can't collect on the bits or in empty holes.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...bitstorage.jpg
The unused collet sits nicely in a 3/8" (IIRC) hole, and slotting
cutters fit over a 1/4" dowel, as seen in the second photo:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...itstorage2.jpg
The only problem? I can't buy very many more router bits... Right. I
mean, soon I'll have to move the least-used bits to an alternate
storage location.
The photos made me realize I need to work on getting more colorful
bits - so far I've been pretty partial to various shades of gray: MLCS
(decent quality on a budget + free shipping) and Infinity (great
quality IMO at moderate prices). My only CMT bit is an upcut spiral,
which doesn't have any orange. Oh, well.
Hope this is, well, inspirational...
Andy