Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Default INSPIRATION - The Penultimate Router Table

http://home.kendra.com/mauser/mavica/RT/RT0.html

If he can do it, you can probably do it. Or, at least some of
you. It ain't rocket sicience after all.

JOAT
If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about
Hilary Clinton.

Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

Default Look up "penultimate." It doesn't mean what you think it means. (Was some router table link--probably not the next to last one.)

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:25:15 -0500, (J T)

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Posted to rec.woodworking
entfillet

I'm hoping that he does know, as I would be sad to think the reference
as the ultimate.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

Default Look up "penultimate." It doesn't mean what you think it means....

The LRod entity posted thusly:

So you knew what it meant all along but left the incorrect
interpretation in the subject line over your signature to be
emblazoned in the archives and apparent ignorance inextricably linked
to you forever.

Sure.

There is no indication whatsoever that the fellow in question used the
term incorrectly. He will have used it correctly if at some future
time, he decides to design one, and only one more router table. If he
does not design another, or if he designs more than one more, he will
be in error of fact only, which still does not indicate incorrect
usage of the term.

About the only thing you can criticize regarding his use of the term
is that he used "the" instead of "my", possibly indicating that one
and only one more router table will ever be designed by anyone.

Posted to rec.woodworking
foggytown

Actually there are subtle variations at play here. Ultimate has a
usage which is much more qualitative than sequential. The "ultimate"
saw (for example) would be the saw which is so wonderful and perfect it
is incapable of being improved. Penultimate, otoh, simply refers to
the next to last of a sequence or set. I think Mr. Router Table was
trying to imply that his table is the best possible and thought that
since penultimate has more syllables, it must be better than ultimate.

All this knowledge and I STILL can't make decent dove tails!

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pig

Uh, 'scuse me, but didn't it occur to anyone that the OP might have
been making a point with the "correct" use of penultimate? There will
never be an "ultimate" plan for a router table, thus to label his as
the penultimate will always assure it a place in the pantheon of router
table designs, e.g., the next to last design.

Mutt.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bremen68

I'm with Mutt......He's leaving himself some room for his next design
to be just that little bit better..

Thus (please insert triumphant horn salute here) it will become the
penultimate table. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Hank Gillette

In article . com,
"foggytown" wrote:

I think Mr. Router Table was
trying to imply that his table is the best possible and thought that
since penultimate has more syllables, it must be better than ultimate.

Why would you think that? If you even looked at the web site, you'd see
that he said that he called it the penultimate "because I'm sure one day
I'll improve upon it".

--
Hank Gillette

"Believe me, if there's any amendment to the Constitution that employees of
the National Security Agency are familiar with, it's the Fourth.." -- General
Michael Hayden, former NSA director, after denying that the 4th
Amendment requires probable cause.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The J T entity posted thusly:

Tue, Jan 24, 2006, 11:18pm (EST-1) (Oleg*Lego)
doth burble:
There is no indication snip

My, my. We now have a grammer cop amongst us. You keep LRod
straigh now, you hear? LMAO

No 'grammer' cop here. I leave that to Dr. Whom.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Hank Gillette

In article ,
LRod wrote:

So you knew what it meant all along but left the incorrect
interpretation in the subject line over your signature to be
emblazoned in the archives and apparent ignorance inextricably linked
to you forever.

Sure.

So your position is that someone shouldn't use a perfectly good word
correctly because some psuedo-intellectual might come upon it and assume
that it was used incorrectly?

Got it.

--
Hank Gillette

"Believe me, if there's any amendment to the Constitution that employees of
the National Security Agency are familiar with, it's the Fourth.." -- General
Michael Hayden, former NSA director, after denying that the 4th
Amendment requires probable cause.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Douglass

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:21:59 +0000, LRod wrote:

Try reading what the guy wrote on his site:

"Penultimate because I'm sure one day I'll improve upon it"

He knows, so that's what he called it.

JOAT just quotes the title.

So cope, OK?

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Centering router on table base Oleg Lego Woodworking 49 January 15th 06 03:36 AM
router for a Porter-Cable router table? Dave Gower Home Repair 8 March 2nd 05 05:55 AM
router/outfeed table; previously charted territory? Silvan Woodworking 7 January 18th 05 04:20 PM
router table setup Lewis Woodworking 6 November 25th 04 05:02 PM
Review of the new Porter Cable 895PK- Part 1 Greg G. Woodworking 37 January 8th 04 02:37 AM