Garry Collins

Default Router Bit Storage

Hello All,

I seemed to have accumulated a large selection of router bits. In some
cases the sizes vary by only .5 mm. They are often not identified, so if
they are not in their case, it is a case of trial and error to identify
the size. I currently have them hanging in their cases or wallets on
hooks on pegboard. Is there a better solution?

I was thinking of an open box with compartments for each bit. It could be
stored in its case or wallet, which has the size somewhere on packaging.

Are their any better ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Garry

--
Garry Collins
Remove the spamno from my eamill address.
Woodcrafter

Are their any better ideas?

Not sure if it is "better", but I use these plastic router bit holders
(http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...=11251&sid=AF9
89 ) which you can mount to the wall. To keep all the sizes easily
identifiable (straight bits etc) I simply made some small stickers showing
bit diameter and stuck them next to the holes in the bit holder tray. Seems
to work fine for me.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
WIN! $200 of woodworking tools of your choice!
Enter online today.
Latest 6 Reviews:
- EZ Smart Guide System
- Ryobi EBS1310VK Belt Sander
- Incra V27 Miter Gauge
- GMC BJ110 Biscuit Joiner
- Festool TDK Cordless Drills
- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps

Edwin Pawlowski

"Garry Collins" wrote in message
I was thinking of an open box with compartments for each bit. It could be
stored in its case or wallet, which has the size somewhere on packaging.

Are their any better ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I just drilled a series of holes in a block of wood. You could mark the
spots for each bit if you want. I made a square one and a rectangular one
with two rows of holes. If you go that route, be sure the hole is slightly
larger than 1/2" to hold a 1/2" shank.

Upscale

"Garry Collins" wrote in message

I seemed to have accumulated a large selection of router bits. In some
cases the sizes vary by only .5 mm. They are often not identified, so if
they are not in their case, it is a case of trial and error to identify
the size. I currently have them hanging in their cases or wallets on
hooks on pegboard. Is there a better solution?

Lee Valley Tools has a few solutions:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...36&cat=1,46168

Phisherman

I have seen numerous router bit cabinets. The nicest ones are shop
made. I made a cabinet for my drill bits from pallet wood, and turned
knobs for the drawers from some dogwood laying around the shop. My
router cabinet has 4 bit drawers, some with 1/2 and some with 1/4"
holes to hold the bits. I prefer the drill bit cabinet because it is
wall mounted at eye-level. All the drawers have hand-cut dovetail
joinery which helped tune my skills. To make a cabinet, lay out all
your bits, then design your storage capacity two or three times of
your current needs. (Usually a drill bit cabinet has a lot more
bizarre pieces than router bit storage.)

B a r r y

Garry Collins wrote:

I was thinking of an open box with compartments for each bit. It could be
stored in its case or wallet, which has the size somewhere on packaging.

I like these, with the size marked with a Sharpie on the slot, stored in
a drawer. The spacing can be varied based on the bit size. If you
have lots of large bits where you can't use all the clips, the extra
clips can be transferred to another rack.

Panel raisers, and stile / rail sets are stored in the original box in
the same drawer.

Barry
B a r r y

Forgot the link!

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=49890&cat=1,43326

Barry
James E. Baldock (Jim)

Gee guys what ever happend to a drill bit, drill press and a block of wood??

Jim

B a r r y wrote:
Forgot the link!

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=49890&cat=1,43326

Barry

B a r r y

James E. Baldock (Jim) wrote:
Gee guys what ever happend to a drill bit, drill press and a block of
wood??

That was my old setup, it worked OK.

For less than $5, the commercial racks are really nice. They're
adjustable, hold tight (the bits won't fall out if they tip over or in a
tool bag), and cheap enough.

Barry

Hax Planks

James E. Baldock (Jim) says...

Gee guys what ever happend to a drill bit, drill press and a block of wood??

That's what I was thinking. Why buy what you can make? You can even
tilt the wood to to make slanted holes for wall storage. Get a new bit,
make a new hole.

patrick conroy

"James E. Baldock (Jim)" wrote in message

Gee guys what ever happend to a drill bit, drill press and a block of

wood??

Nuthin - that's what I did. Made drawers. Biggun on the bottom to hold
routers and big accessories, shallow one on top for bits and parts like
collets, wrenches.

Bit holder is a 18x18" sheet of 1/2" baltic birch. Appropriately "holed"
with 1/2" and 1/4" assorted. Bored one night and made labels to go next to
holes.

Scott Lurndal

Garry Collins writes:
Hello All,

I seemed to have accumulated a large selection of router bits. In some
cases the sizes vary by only .5 mm. They are often not identified, so if
they are not in their case, it is a case of trial and error to identify
the size. I currently have them hanging in their cases or wallets on
hooks on pegboard. Is there a better solution?

I use old film tubes for smaller router bits. Mark the lid with the
bit info using a sharpie. Drill holes slightly larger than the tube
diameter in a chunk of plywood and fit it into a drawer or hang it
vertically on the wall. The tubes drop down into the drilled holes and
are supported by the lid (the hole diameter must be less than the lid).

scott
B a r r y

Scott Lurndal wrote:

I use old film tubes for smaller router bits.

What's film?

Barry
George

"B a r r y" wrote in message
m...
Scott Lurndal wrote:

I use old film tubes for smaller router bits.

What's film?

Even worse, what's _slide_ film? When they ask for slides to jury, you have
to go to a specialty photo operation to get the film and processing.

Juergen Hannappel

B a r r y writes:

Scott Lurndal wrote:

I use old film tubes for smaller router bits.

What's film?

When it became apparent that demon-powered picture boxes were very
hard to come by someone inveted a method of taking pictures with
halgogenides of silver on a substrate. The first experiments were done
with glass plates covered withe the photographic emulsion, but after
some time they were for most applications replaced by flexible
carriers (cellulose based at first) which wre called "film" due to
their thin-nes. Very poular was a format of film 35mm wide,
ooriginally used for movies, but in shorter sections for still image
cameras.

Of course nowadays no-one no longer remembers anything about such a
neolithical way of taking a picture, when even fundamentalist
neandertal(1) woodworkers document their projects with digital
cameras.

(1) Ok, maybe in Mettman (where the true Neandertal lies) they still
use Charcoal on Cavewalls...

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

On 23 Mar 2005 10:31:18 GMT, Garry Collins
wrote:

Hello All,

I seemed to have accumulated a large selection of router bits. In some
cases the sizes vary by only .5 mm. They are often not identified, so if
they are not in their case, it is a case of trial and error to identify
the size. I currently have them hanging in their cases or wallets on
hooks on pegboard. Is there a better solution?

I was thinking of an open box with compartments for each bit. It could be
stored in its case or wallet, which has the size somewhere on packaging.

Are their any better ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Garry

I have 6 routers. one stays in the table all of the time, some get
used on the bench and in the field, some get used in the table, on the
bench and in the field. if I had only one router I'd make a case for
it that held the bits too. so what I do is have a case for the bits
and separate cases for the machines.

as my bit collection has grown I have moved the bits into bigger
cases. currently they are in an about 14" metal toolbox with a lift
out tray. the bottom well and the tray both have fitted blocks of wood
with holes drilled in them to stand the bits up in- 1/2" bits in the
bottom, 1/4" bits in the top with a spot for misc. like cleaning
brushes, spare bearings, template guides, etc.
Hax Planks

Juergen Hannappel says...

Of course nowadays no-one no longer remembers anything about such a
neolithical way of taking a picture, when even fundamentalist
neandertal(1) woodworkers document their projects with digital
cameras.

Good riddance to film. It was a major polluter.
Renata

Dense foam stuff that they use to cushion packaged electronic
equipment and such. Drill holes in it for the bits like a chunk of
wood. It's more maleable than wood so the bits are a bit easier to
insert and remove.

Renata

wrote:

Hello All,

I seemed to have accumulated a large selection of router bits. In some
cases the sizes vary by only .5 mm. They are often not identified, so if
they are not in their case, it is a case of trial and error to identify
the size. I currently have them hanging in their cases or wallets on
hooks on pegboard. Is there a better solution?

I was thinking of an open box with compartments for each bit. It could be
stored in its case or wallet, which has the size somewhere on packaging.

Are their any better ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Garry

charlie b

How adventurous are you?

How about a wall hanging cabinet for all those bits?

Want to try making some coopered doors for that
wall hanging cabinet? Would look really nice on
the wall in the shop. Pull out shelves with bits
in their own holes. Couple of small drawers
for allen wrenches, bearings, router wrench(es)
etc. - all in one place.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...redDoors0.html

Think about it.

charlie b

charlie b

Come on guys (and gals if you're out there) - this is a woodworking
group right? And what better way to learn a new technique than to
try it on a piece of "just shop furniture"? If you blow it, well it's
"just shop furniture".

Why not have a go at a coopered doors, wall hanging cabinet?
Great project to experiment with joinery - sliding dovetails,
coopered doors and maybe some veneering if you get a little
over the top (as some are prone to do).

With a little luck it might turn out surprisingly nice. And
when a shop visitor happens to notice it you can always say
"Oh that. It's just shop furniture."

Making coopered doors for a small cabinet isn't all that
hard. Making the cabinet to fit around them - well that's
a different story. (all one line so watch the line wrap)

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...redDoors0.html

At least consider it OK?

charlie b