Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
mc mc is offline

Default Cutting aluminum bars with saw designed for wood

What bad things will happen if I use this Stanley hand miter saw:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....U MBER=20-800

to cut aluminum angle stock of the kind sold at Home Depot? Will it ruin
the blade immediately, work fairly well, or what?

Is it possible to get a similar miter box for cutting metal?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"mc" wrote in message
What bad things will happen if I use this Stanley hand miter saw:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....U MBER=20-800

to cut aluminum angle stock of the kind sold at Home Depot? Will it ruin
the blade immediately, work fairly well, or what?

Is it possible to get a similar miter box for cutting metal?

You don't need a new box, you need a hacksaw blade for the box.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
mc mc is offline

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"mc" wrote in message
What bad things will happen if I use this Stanley hand miter saw:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....U MBER=20-800

to cut aluminum angle stock of the kind sold at Home Depot? Will it ruin
the blade immediately, work fairly well, or what?

Is it possible to get a similar miter box for cutting metal?

You don't need a new box, you need a hacksaw blade for the box.

Thought of that. The blade size for this box does not match standard
hacksaw blades. Is a bigger (longer and wider) hacksaw blade made?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Many wood working tools work really well on aluminum. Though any razor
edge (which is doubtful on a saw anyway) will be lost which may or may
not make any difference to you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 19:14:41 -0400, "mc"
wrote:

What bad things will happen if I use this Stanley hand miter saw:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....U MBER=20-800

to cut aluminum angle stock of the kind sold at Home Depot? Will it ruin
the blade immediately, work fairly well, or what?

You won't hurt the blade. Some wax applied to the blade may improve
the surface finish.

Is it possible to get a similar miter box for cutting metal?

Not that I'm aware of. See the recent thread on
rec.crafts.metalworking "Blades for cutting aluminum?" for a
discussion of using a chop saw and carbide blade for cutting aluminum.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
mc mc is offline

What bad things will happen if I use this Stanley hand miter saw:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....U MBER=20-800

to cut aluminum angle stock of the kind sold at Home Depot? Will it ruin
the blade immediately, work fairly well, or what?

You won't hurt the blade. Some wax applied to the blade may improve
the surface finish.

Thanks!

Is it possible to get a similar miter box for cutting metal?

Not that I'm aware of. See the recent thread on
rec.crafts.metalworking "Blades for cutting aluminum?" for a
discussion of using a chop saw and carbide blade for cutting aluminum.

Thanks again. I've been using a carbide blade on my table saw for aluminum
for a long time. The Stanley miter saw is for an electronics lab where
students will use it -- I wanted a hand-powered saw. I'll mark it
prominently "For wood, plastic, and aluminum only -- not hard metal" and
prepare to get some spare blades.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

If the blade has hardened points - many Stanley's do say that -
It might work ok for some time.

They make it like that for imported 'rose' wood - that is full of
silicon that eats normal blades alive.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

"mc" wrote in message
What bad things will happen if I use this Stanley hand miter saw:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....U MBER=20-800

to cut aluminum angle stock of the kind sold at Home Depot? Will it ruin
the blade immediately, work fairly well, or what?

Is it possible to get a similar miter box for cutting metal?

You don't need a new box, you need a hacksaw blade for the box.

Thought of that. The blade size for this box does not match standard
hacksaw blades. Is a bigger (longer and wider) hacksaw blade made?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
mc mc is offline

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
If the blade has hardened points - many Stanley's do say that -
It might work ok for some time.

It does. Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

snip

students will use it -- I wanted a hand-powered saw. I'll mark it
prominently "For wood, plastic, and aluminum only -- not hard metal" and
prepare to get some spare blades.

And just what kind of penalty do you think it will take to get students
to READ any kind of notice??? Permanant (full 4 years) banishment from
the labs didn't slow down the students in our labs!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
mc mc is offline

You don't need a new box, you need a hacksaw blade for the box.

Thought of that. The blade size for this box does not match standard
hacksaw blades. Is a bigger (longer and wider) hacksaw blade made?

Answering my own question, apparently the Stanley miter box saw will take
Jorgensen 550-mm blades, which are slightly shorter (about 1 cm). If
necessary I will modify the saw just a bit. Jorgensen has a full line of
blades from 14 tpi (soft wood) to 32 tpi (steel).

Found them at www.adjustableclamp.com.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
mc mc is offline

students will use it -- I wanted a hand-powered saw. I'll mark it
prominently "For wood, plastic, and aluminum only -- not hard metal" and
prepare to get some spare blades.

And just what kind of penalty do you think it will take to get students to
READ any kind of notice??? Permanant (full 4 years) banishment from the
labs didn't slow down the students in our labs!!!

These are graduate students. They pay attention.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

mc wrote:

| These are graduate students. They pay attention.

Eh?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

mc wrote:

What bad things will happen if I use this Stanley hand miter saw:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....U MBER=20-800

to cut aluminum angle stock of the kind sold at Home Depot? Will it ruin
the blade immediately, work fairly well, or what?

Is it possible to get a similar miter box for cutting metal?

Nothing bad at all will happen. Just don't try to use that blade to cut
steel. Aluminum can be cut all day long with a wood blade. Just take
your time. I do it quite often on my wood band saw.

Jim Chandler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....TEGORY=MITRE+B...

to cut aluminum angle stock of the kind sold at Home Depot? Will it ruin
the blade immediately, work fairly well, or what?

Is it possible to get a similar miter box for cutting metal?

Look for a handsaw with about 12pts and file it straight across like a
ripsaw as there are no fibers to sever. Wax it up so the gullets don't
load. If you can find a cheap handsaw with black teeth (meaning they
were hardened and can't be filed) that is fine enough try that.

Or use the miterbox to scripe the layout line and finish with a
hacksaw and a file.