Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
mc mc is offline

Default Cutting aluminum bars with saw designed for wood

What bad things will happen if I use this Stanley hand miter saw:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....U MBER=20-800

to cut aluminum angle stock of the kind sold at Home Depot? Will it ruin
the blade immediately, work fairly well, or what?

You won't hurt the blade. Some wax applied to the blade may improve
the surface finish.

Thanks!

Is it possible to get a similar miter box for cutting metal?

Not that I'm aware of. See the recent thread on
rec.crafts.metalworking "Blades for cutting aluminum?" for a
discussion of using a chop saw and carbide blade for cutting aluminum.

Thanks again. I've been using a carbide blade on my table saw for aluminum
for a long time. The Stanley miter saw is for an electronics lab where
students will use it -- I wanted a hand-powered saw. I'll mark it
prominently "For wood, plastic, and aluminum only -- not hard metal" and
prepare to get some spare blades.