Jon Paterson

Default Sony strange vertical bars (not the dreaded scrolling bars!)?

Hi all, I have had a KV36-FS70 for around 2 years now, and it has been
fine (I had to swap it twice at the start with purity / ap. grille
problems).

We have recently obtained a problem with the set "popping" when starting
from warm (the engineer thinks that it is either the power supply or
audio circuits.

HOWEVER I now have an additional feature. I get a collection of small
dark lines (around 4 or 5) that scroll across the screen in a band.
There is only 1 collection of these lines around 1" in combined width.

The scrolling moves from left to right, stops occasionally and goes back
the other way. This fades during the time that the set is on, and after
a hour you cannot see it at all unless you put the brightness up to max.

The effect is noticable on all inputs.

I have heard the legend of the scrolling bars, and checked for it over a
year ago, and I am sure that this problem is new thing.

Can anyone tell me if it sounds like the scrolling bars problem? As I
understood that, they never get better, but this seems to get better
after around 1 hr?

I have spoken to our regional repair centre, and the chap said that this
sounds like a capacitor on the power supply, due to the fact that the
effect goes after a hour or so - can anyone comment on this?

thanks for any help!

Jon Paterson

http://www.Usenet.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000 Newsgroups
Sofie

Jon Paterson:
Do you see the problem with all sources????
**Off Air Tuner.... all channels, some channels?
**A VCR fed into the tuner input?
**A VCR or DVD player fed into an A/V input??
Do this detective work and reply post the results.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Jon Paterson" wrote in message
. com...
Meant to say, it takes nearly 15 seconds for the bar to move from one
side of the screen to the other.

says...

News==----
http://www.Usenet.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption =---

News==----
http://www.Usenet.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000

Newsgroups

=---

OldguyTeck

Now if you ever looked at a SAMS photofact scema you would see the main
power supplies have many branches leading out to the 'different' circuits..
One would note that these branches have filtering beyond the main supply..
In other words one supply might go to the sound section, another to video,
and yet a nother to the onscreen etc.
Are you starting to get what Im saying?
Hope this helps out some...

Ed Oldguyteck

"Jon Paterson" wrote in message
. com...
Apologies - here is the mail that I sent the repair chappie:

I have tested the set further in regard to our discussion earlier, and
your mention of testing the set by looking at the sets menu's when
having the bars present.

I am positive that they have not been there before as I have a very
"keen" eye and have had the set for almost 2 years.

As I explained on the phone, the 1.5 inch bar contains smaller
darker/lighter lines (vertical, from top to bottom), and moves very
slowly across the screen (around 10 - 15 seconds for full pass).
Initially, the bars move from the far left of the screen to the far
right, and then back out of the left hand side. Sometimes the bars slow
to a stop, and then go back in the opposite direction!

After being on for 20-30 mins, the bars seem to start on the right hand
side around ¼ of the way in from the right hand side - again at the same
pace. These bars are the same regardless of the input, or the
connection APART from the DVD player (see below - which always seems to
go in the other direction).

After just over 1hr, the bars fade to the degree that it is almost
impossible to see unless on a very dark background, without turning the
brightness fully up. This is always the case, regardless if everything
is connected to the set or not - so definitely pointing to the something
in the TV. They will ALWAYS be gone within 1.5 hrs.

Adding / removing connections do not make any difference. If the set
has recently been on, the time for the bars removal is shortened.

The noise bars DO NOT show up on the TV's menu control, only on the
picture on the screen - which makes me think that the problem lies
within the input circuit of the TV and not the PSU - would the PSU not
create the band on the menu also?

I have attempted the following: unless stated this is the ONLY
connection that the set currently has.

Digibox (Pace)
SKY in AV1 - noise bars (right to left)
" " AV2 - noise bars (right to left)
" " AV3 - noise bars (right to left)

DVD player (Sony NS905)

DVD in all inputs - noise bars (left to right!) Same for all of the rest
of the inputs.

AV Amp /receiver (Arcam) with Playstation 2.

Noise bars in all inputs - right to left.

Arial

Noise bars right to left.

Exception is the video player - if you bring up the static programming
menu (blue screen) the bars do not appear???

I plugged everything back in after testing (I had passed the 1hr "fix")
and again, the bars had gone on every single input. I plugged 1 thing
in at a time and monitored the set, but I could not get the problem to
re-appear after the 1 hr "fix" time had elapsed - even with everything
connected back again

Please pass this information onto the chaps at Sony, as I cannot figure
out why the menu on the video is the only thing that the bars do not
show on - apart from nothing is "actually" moving on it - and how the
problem goes away after being on after 1 hr!

In article , says...