Mike

Default Cutting Aluminum Extrusions

Can anyone recommend a miter or compound miter saw that would work well for
cutting aluminum extrusion material like the 80-20 product? I've tried my
5200 RPM, 10", $88 Delta but don't think this is really the right tool for
the job. 80-20 recommends something quite a bit slower but I can't seem to
find anything. Your help is appreciated!

Mike

Robin S.

"Mike" wrote in message
m...
Can anyone recommend a miter or compound miter saw that would work well
for cutting aluminum extrusion material like the 80-20 product? I've tried
my 5200 RPM, 10", $88 Delta but don't think this is really the right tool
for the job. 80-20 recommends something quite a bit slower but I can't
seem to find anything. Your help is appreciated!

You need to buy a 10" "non-ferrous" blade. Usually 80 teeth or so. Remember
to wear protection as cutting aluminum gets a bit scary with woodworking
tools (eye and hearing protection, covered arms, face shield, etc.)

Regards,

Robin

Anthony

"Mike" wrote in
m:

Can anyone recommend a miter or compound miter saw that would work
well for cutting aluminum extrusion material like the 80-20 product?
I've tried my 5200 RPM, 10", $88 Delta but don't think this is really
the right tool for the job. 80-20 recommends something quite a bit
slower but I can't seem to find anything. Your help is appreciated!

Mike

We use a 14" compound miter saw. Thing is, you need a metal cutting blade
for it, not just your standard carbide tipped wood saw blade.
It is also is *highly* recommeded you get the clamping kit for your
particular saw. Sawing aluminum while trying to hold it with your hand is
*not* a good idea.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

http://www.machines-cnc.net:81/
woodworker88

Prior to switching to a TIG welded aluminum frame, our robotics team
built the entire robot out of 80/20. We cut it with a cheapo miter box
(delta I think) or a RAS with a fine tooth carbide tip wood blade, but
these are just delaying the inevitable. What we use entirely now is a
small 4"x6" portable chopping metal cutting bandsaw. We have the MSC
one http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMPXNO=3285785
but any one would work such as the Grizzly
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G1010 . These saws
have much slower fpm ratings than wood bandsaws and use the weight of
the saw to cut throught the material. They use special metal cutting
blades designed for this kind of material. They are non abrasive, so
they work especially good for aluminum and this type of stuff. Also
have a vise to hold the work, and an auto shut-off when they are
through the material. You just keep squirting on oil and they will cut
their way through a 2" dia aluminum shaft.

Mike

Thanks everyone.

To woodworker88, we currently have a horizontal band saw which we use for
steel and aluminum. I really need the simple miter adjustment ability the
miter saws offer. Thanks for the thought though.

Mike
"woodworker88" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

yourname

Mike wrote:
Thanks everyone.

Mike,

I cut extrusion for quite some time with just a miter saw. I then bought
a fully auto non ferrous saw[weighs about 2000#] but with the right
blade, as mentioned, you will get satisfactory results with the miter
box. In a pinch a thin plywood/paneling blade will work, but the
aluminum blades are pretty common these days.

I cut material for people all the time, odds are good someone local to
you will too, if you need really nice length/finish, a big cold saw is
the way to go

[...]

Dennis Shinn

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:26:16 -0400, "Robin S."
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
Can anyone recommend a miter or compound miter saw that would work well
for cutting aluminum extrusion material....

I use an Amana 80t negative hook blade - works great. Just be careful
to watch for kickback and when cutting small pieces off the end, watch
out for the off cut that will inevitably go flying who knows where.

carl mciver

I worked in a shop for awhile that went through lots of 80/20, Bosch,
and so forth. Any well made miter saw will do the job, given the right
blade. I think ours was a Ryobi or a Delta. We had a couple handheld band
saws mounted on tables (can't think of what they're called) that we used to
cut Textube, but they were too slow for thick aluminum pieces like that.
The laser was really nice, but never close enough to the cut.
I never clamped the extrusion myself, but I did try to cut a piece of
simple angle on it one time and held it by hand. Saw grabbed, broke the
back rest casting, demolished the angle, jammed my thumb and elbow badly,
and left some interesting bruises on my pinky finger. That said, make a
clamp that will hold more than one type of material, or several easy to use
clamps. Our table was mounted between two much longer tables that would
allow us to cut up a full length piece to eight inch pieces easily. Had
measuring tapes on it, a stop, and all the good stuff you can get for/with
80/20. Should have been a variety of clamps, and I made a replacement sign
that read: "Do not cut angle stock with this saw. It will hurt you!!" The
boss there forgot to warn me earlier.

m...