Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Buy wood screw assortment packs? (online USA)

What's your favorite online place to buy wood screw assortment packs?

By the way. Are self tapping screw heads any good? Mainly curious.
I'll probably buy some of those drill bits that make room for the
screw head. Sorry, don't know the terminology.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Doe wrote in news:1u1ii.8614$bP5.2943
@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net:

What's your favorite online place to buy wood screw assortment packs?

I usually buy screws at the hardware store. If I know I'll need a lot,
I'll buy a lot. I rarely buy assortment packs, as I usually don't need
10-1/2" screws, 4-5/8", 20-3/4" screws, etc.

By the way. Are self tapping screw heads any good? Mainly curious.
I'll probably buy some of those drill bits that make room for the
screw head. Sorry, don't know the terminology.

Self-tapping screw heads usually work ok. If you're working anywhere
near the edge of a piece of wood, though, you should predrill for the
screw. With the cost of screw guns (and drills) it's worth buying a
second one to dedicate to drilling. It's much easier to switch between
drills than it is to switch between bits.

The drill bits that make room for the screw head are called
"countersinks" or "countersunk". You can get them alone, or at the end
of a drill bit. (You can even use a drill bit to countersink a screw
head, but it's not always easy to do accurately.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

With the cost of screw guns (and drills) it's worth buying a second
one to dedicate to drilling. It's much easier to switch between
drills than it is to switch between bits.

Yup, got a Panasonic 12 V drill and impact driver during that
outrageous deal on Amazon last month.

The impact driver is noisy as expected, and it's a little unusual to
use, but it drove ordinary slotted screws without stripping or
slipping off of the head.

(You can even use a drill bit to countersink a screw head, but it's
not always easy to do accurately.)

With me, it's better than nothing, but tedious and inconsistent.

Enjoyed your writing about countersinks, thanks.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've found the assortment packs from Rockler to be very good quality
screws, and actually to be cheaper than buying the individual 100-
packs.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?sku=300&cs=1
These "Square-X" screws will drive with either a phillips (everyone
has one) or a square drive (works much better) bit. This combo pack
is only available online. Rockler are the only tapered head wood
screws I use now - don't bother with wood screws from Home Depot -
they're awful. One time I thought I'd save time by getting screws
there, and I twisted several heads off #10 screws. Waste of time and
money. And I haven't tried them, but McFeeley's wood screws are
supposed to be top of the line. They have combo packs also.

As far as countersinking, I have two suggestions: First, the Dewalt
tapered countersink bits (DW2567, DW2568) are the best ones I've tried
(better than Fuller or off-brands). These are available at Amazon and
my local TrueValue. Sometimes they go on sale at Amazon for about
$6.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance
Second, If you want a separate countersink bit, which is sometimes
handy, I've found this type by Lee Valley to work very well. Easy to
use, cuts cleanly. http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41328
I just got one of these a couple weeks ago, and it's already earned a
permanent spot within easy reach by my bench. The Weldon brand
version of these countersinks is supposed to be top notch.

Hope this helps,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy" wrote in message

I've found the assortment packs from Rockler to be very good quality
screws, and actually to be cheaper than buying the individual 100-
packs.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?sku=300&cs=1
These "Square-X" screws will drive with either a phillips (everyone
has one) or a square drive (works much better) bit. This combo pack
is only available online. Rockler are the only tapered head wood
screws I use now - don't bother with wood screws from Home Depot -
they're awful. One time I thought I'd save time by getting screws
there, and I twisted several heads off #10 screws. Waste of time and
money. And I haven't tried them, but McFeeley's wood screws are
supposed to be top of the line. They have combo packs also.

Voice of experience: Do NOT to trust Rockler screws for critical work, like
screwing adjacent cabinet face frames together!

Rockler screws are barely a cut above those you buy at the Borg's and, while
OK for many shop tasks, they simply will not perform like a quality screw.

It's pretty simple in this age of corporate greed ... if you need a wood
screw you can rely on, McFeely's is a good way to go.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Swingman wrote:

It's pretty simple in this age of corporate greed ...

I submit "corporate greed" is simply a reflection of the consumer
choosing price over quality in the most part...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Voice of experience: Do NOT to trust Rockler screws for critical work, like
screwing adjacent cabinet face frames together!

Rockler screws are barely a cut above those you buy at the Borg's and, while
OK for many shop tasks, they simply will not perform like a quality screw.

Wow - not my experience at all. Were all the ones you used from a
single batch? I've used at least several hundred Rockler wood screws,
bought at various times, different branches and online, so I didn't
just get a "fluke" good batch. I've NEVER had one fail, either while
driving or after assembly. Like I said, in my experience with Borg
screws, at LEAST 25% of them failed as I was driving, and other
batches have been equally unimpressive.
I can't say how Rockler's screws compare to McFeeley's, as I haven't
used McF's, but Rockler's have been 100% reliable for me, at a good
price, and I'm happy with that. I have seen their heads develop
surface rust on shop projects that were stored in damp basement
corners, but they don't claim to be rustproof or for outdoor use. I
haven't had any show rust in storage. If I wanted durable screws that
would be used in damp conditions or outdoor projects, I wouldn't use
Rockler's lube finished screws.
I'm not affiliated with Rockler or anyone else, just sharing my
positive experiences with reasonably-priced stuff.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

$6.http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...V/ref=ord_cart...
use, cuts cleanly. http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...&cat=3,41306,4...
I just got one of these a couple weeks ago, and it's already earned a
permanent spot within easy reach by my bench. The Weldon brand
version of these countersinks is supposed to be top notch.

Hope this helps,
Andy

Just to add my $.02 on countersinks: avoid using ones with a single
cutting flute, unless it is the type that slides onto a drill bit. It
will make countersinks that are off-center from the drilled hole.
I've got a 5-flute countersink bit that works much better (forget
where I got it, probably either Ace, Home Depot, or Lowe's)

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 2, 3:06 am, John Doe wrote:
What's your favorite online place to buy wood screw assortment packs?

By the way. Are self tapping screw heads any good? Mainly curious.
I'll probably buy some of those drill bits that make room for the
screw head. Sorry, don't know the terminology.

A friend of mine used to sell those screw assortment packs in the
classifieds in the back of magazines. He said the markup was
unbelievable.

Probably better to buy screws by the hundred box as you need them.
You can also get huge quantities of screws at tag and garage sales.
Estate tag sales are the best as you're in the guy's basement and
they're looking to clear out everything and the screws _never_ sell.
The people running the tag sale would be thrilled for you to do the
work getting them out of the house for them. The fasteners are often
already in some homemade storage rack to simplify things on your end.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
Probably better to buy screws by the hundred box as you need them.
You can also get huge quantities of screws at tag and garage sales.
Estate tag sales are the best as you're in the guy's basement and
they're looking to clear out everything and the screws _never_ sell.
The people running the tag sale would be thrilled for you to do the
work getting them out of the house for them. The fasteners are often
already in some homemade storage rack to simplify things on your end.

That's a terrific idea.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

B A R R Y wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
Probably better to buy screws by the hundred box as you need them.
You can also get huge quantities of screws at tag and garage sales.
Estate tag sales are the best as you're in the guy's basement and
they're looking to clear out everything and the screws _never_ sell.
The people running the tag sale would be thrilled for you to do the
work getting them out of the house for them. The fasteners are often
already in some homemade storage rack to simplify things on your end.

That's a terrific idea.

My luck has always been all that's there is the myriad of coffee cans
full of miscellaneous stuff all throwed together--or, the organized set
that sells for more than it would new...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Peter Huebner wrote:

I use stainless with square drive almost exclusively these days. Price
difference is negligible in bulk amounts.

Same here.

I also like the way McFeely's square drive screws don't have tapered
threads. They hold better in a straight sided hole, and eliminate
faffing around with tapered drills.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 2, 7:42 pm, Peter Huebner wrote:
In article .com,
says...

Probably better to buy screws by the hundred box as you need them.

What surprised me at first was, how a box of 1000 usually only costs as much as
2 or 3 100-packs. What surprised me even more was how quickly they're gone ;-)

Those 'self-counter-sinking' screws are fine in plywood and softwood but I
don't like using them with MDF since they often throw up a ridge around the
head, so I use a countersink bit regardless. They don't work in hard wood. And
they stink for screwing on metal hardware. Ironically, screws that don't have
the ridges are harder to get in these parts now - I often have to put in a
special order for them.

I use stainless with square drive almost exclusively these days. Price
difference is negligible in bulk amounts.

-P.

Since this thread is wandering a bit off the OP's topic I will add one
more story. A good many years ago I started a small cabinet making
business after a career as an engineer. I bought the new tools I
needed from a small shop who carried professional quality tools,
supplies and provided sharpening services. He eventually focused
solely on sharpening and told me that the BORG was selling tools for
less than he had to pay at wholesale.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

GROVER wrote:

Since this thread is wandering a bit off the OP's topic

This is where Ignore Subthread really shines, especially if the
particular branch has gone completely off topic and you're the
original poster looking for enlightenment.

I guess some people can remember without opening the next post in a
particular thread branch, but not me.

Thanks, and have fun.

I will add one more story. A good many years ago I started a small
cabinet making business after a career as an engineer. I bought the
new tools I needed from a small shop who carried professional
quality tools, supplies and provided sharpening services. He
eventually focused solely on sharpening and told me that the BORG
was selling tools for less than he had to pay at wholesale. Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Doe wrote in news:1u1ii.8614$bP5.2943
@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net:

What's your favorite online place to buy wood screw assortment packs?

By the way. Are self tapping screw heads any good? Mainly curious.
I'll probably buy some of those drill bits that make room for the
screw head. Sorry, don't know the terminology.

www.mcfeeleys.com

great products, reasonable prices. Occasional wReck participant.

no affiliation, etc.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

Patriarch wrote:

www.mcfeeleys.com

I like their simple/clear illustrations.
Bought a zinc plated #8 assortment (that includes a required
squarehead screw bit and screwdriver) and a 1/8" x 3/8" countersink
thingy. Shipping was only $7.50 (US) so I passed on the unplated screw
assortment pack. Yada yada yada.

I've noticed square drill bits at the hardware store lately.

Mostly off-topic, and for what it's worth. I like the point choices of
their "security" screw bit assortment pack, but looks like the screw
bits fit into a magnetic holder. Seems to me most of the problem
fasteners are recessed in a narrow hole. Currently, I have a set of
thin torx screwdrivers. Would like some of those two point type screw
bits too, but on the end of narrow shafts. And then maybe an
assortment of star drive stuff. Maybe some day. At least square
bits/tips are easy to understand

Have fun... see you later.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wrote:

www.mcfeeleys.com

Bought a zinc plated #8 assortment (that includes a required
squarehead screw bit and screwdriver) and a 1/8" x 3/8" countersink
thingy. Shipping was only $7.50 (US) so I passed on the unplated
screw assortment pack.

Umm.

Both of the items ordered were listed as in stock. I do a lot of
online shopping, I never order backordered products. Even if any of
those products have been listed as backordered, they explicitly state
"McFeely's does not charge additional shipping for items that are
backordered."

I was told that the screws were backordered, but they immediately
charged for the entire order plus shipping.

Yesterday, McFeely's Square Drive Screws removed more money from my
bank account, a duplicate charge equal to part of the order plus
shipping.

Screwing with my bank account rubs me the wrong way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Apparently you have to make sure that the parts are in stock by
calling or whatever. Anyway, the screws shipped today.