SwampBug

Default Dewalt DW735. . .

Thickness planer appears to not be on the Dewalt web site, anyone have a
link to where it can be seen or read about?

--
SwampBug
---------------------

Groggy

G'day SwampBug,

I did a reasonably comprehensive search for it two days ago and found
nothing, tried catalogue searches, pics and text - nil.

I hear its all a rumour to jack up their share prices so Leon can sell :-)

Greg

"SwampBug" wrote in message
Thickness planer appears to not be on the Dewalt web site, anyone have a
link to where it can be seen or read about?

--
SwampBug
---------------------

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Groggy wrote:
G'day SwampBug,

I did a reasonably comprehensive search for it two days ago and found
nothing, tried catalogue searches, pics and text - nil.

'doityourself.com' has it listed forsale. at a 'discounted' price that is
25% *above* what the Wood Mag write-up says is 'list' price.

and doityourself has 'pop-up'/pop-under ads on their web-site.

They're *not* getting my business, for anything, ever.

"SwampBug" wrote in message
Thickness planer appears to not be on the Dewalt web site, anyone have a
link to where it can be seen or read about?

Short write-up in the Oct. issue of Wood magazine.

SwampBug

LOL! woodn't serprize me, , ,!
I need to look at something tho, my Delta gave up both rollers fighting dull
blades, , ,!g
--
SwampBug
---------------------

"SwampBug" wrote in message
Thickness planer appears to not be on the Dewalt web site, anyone have a
link to where it can be seen or read about?

--
SwampBug
---------------------

SwampBug

I have the Oct. Wood mag and read the write-up. Impressive booger! I
understand it has 'disposable blades' and the article said something about
'self-indexing blade system' and needs no alignment tool. But I need more
input for that much cash. seems I'll just have to wait!

--
SwampBug
---------------------
"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
In article ,
Groggy wrote:
G'day SwampBug,

I did a reasonably comprehensive search for it two days ago and found
nothing, tried catalogue searches, pics and text - nil.

'doityourself.com' has it listed forsale. at a 'discounted' price that is
25% *above* what the Wood Mag write-up says is 'list' price.

and doityourself has 'pop-up'/pop-under ads on their web-site.

They're *not* getting my business, for anything, ever.

I hear its all a rumour to jack up their share prices so Leon can sell

:-)

Greg

"SwampBug" wrote in message
Thickness planer appears to not be on the Dewalt web site, anyone have

link to where it can be seen or read about?

Short write-up in the Oct. issue of Wood magazine.

nuk

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 08:10:20 GMT, Lee Gordon wrote:
I hear its all a rumour to jack up their share prices so Leon can sell :-)

I have a friend who has one in his possession. (He sent me a picture which
I would post but binaries are a no-no in this group, aren't they?) You'll
be able to read his report in a national publication but not before the tool
is officially introduced. I believe that will be in November. Here is what
he related to me about it: "This bad boy has two speed settings (high-speed
for material removal, low speed for finish planing), 3-blade cutterhead,
integrated chip blower, automatic cutterhead lock, 13" capacity."

If you really want to post pictures, I believe thats what
alt.binaries.pic.woodworking (I think thats the right group) is for.
Just post back here w/ the title/subject the pictures are under, and
(most) everybody is happy

nuk

--
I know more than enough *nix to do some very destructive things,
and not nearly enough to do very many useful things.

Joe Wells

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 16:05:14 +0000, nuk wrote:

If you really want to post pictures, I believe thats what
alt.binaries.pic.woodworking (I think thats the right group) is for.

FYI, it's alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. Sadly, not all news servers
carry binaries groups. As they say, check your local listings.

--
Joe Wells

Tripper

Looks like it's in the Amazon catalog now, no pictures yet though. I
was at the local Lowes last night and they are closing out the DW733
getting ready for the DW734 and DW735.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=507846

MT

Joe Wells wrote in message ws.com...
On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 16:05:14 +0000, nuk wrote:

If you really want to post pictures, I believe thats what
alt.binaries.pic.woodworking (I think thats the right group) is for.

FYI, it's alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. Sadly, not all news servers
carry binaries groups. As they say, check your local listings.

SwampBug

Hi Tripper, thanks for the info, I will be watching Lowe's!

--
SwampBug
---------------------
"Tripper" wrote in message
m...
Looks like it's in the Amazon catalog now, no pictures yet though. I
was at the local Lowes last night and they are closing out the DW733
getting ready for the DW734 and DW735.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=507846

MT

Joe Wells wrote in message

ws.com...
On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 16:05:14 +0000, nuk wrote:

If you really want to post pictures, I believe thats what
alt.binaries.pic.woodworking (I think thats the right group) is for.

FYI, it's alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. Sadly, not all news servers
carry binaries groups. As they say, check your local listings.

Rick

Dunno what the big hush hush is all about. I have literature on the two new
planers. DW734 and DW735. They are going to retail for about 399 and 499
respectively.

I could scan the literature and post it if need be.

Rick

"Lee Gordon" wrote in message
I hear its all a rumour to jack up their share prices so Leon can sell

:-)

I have a friend who has one in his possession. (He sent me a picture

which
I would post but binaries are a no-no in this group, aren't they?) You'll
be able to read his report in a national publication but not before the

tool
is officially introduced. I believe that will be in November. Here is

what
he related to me about it: "This bad boy has two speed settings

(high-speed
for material removal, low speed for finish planing), 3-blade cutterhead,
integrated chip blower, automatic cutterhead lock, 13" capacity."

Lee

SwampBug

So Rick, where did you get the literature. . .if I may ask?

--
SwampBug
---------------------

"Lee Gordon" wrote in message
I hear its all a rumour to jack up their share prices so Leon can sell

:-)

I have a friend who has one in his possession. (He sent me a picture

which
I would post but binaries are a no-no in this group, aren't they?)

You'll
be able to read his report in a national publication but not before the

tool
is officially introduced. I believe that will be in November. Here is

what
he related to me about it: "This bad boy has two speed settings

(high-speed
for material removal, low speed for finish planing), 3-blade cutterhead,
integrated chip blower, automatic cutterhead lock, 13" capacity."

Lee

Dennis M. O'Connor

The local Lowe's here in Phoenix has DW734's and DW735's in
stock, just got them today. List on the DW735 is $449 IIRC.
--
Dennis M. O'Connor
If Lowe's had had the October issue of "Wood",

SwampBug

Convenient. . .s I could tolerate a scan and post of the info, if you are
still of a mind to!

--
SwampBug
---------------------
"Rick" wrote in message
We are a DeWalt dealer. My territory rep gave it to me over a month ago.

I placed an order for the two planers about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Rick

"Lee Gordon" wrote in message
[...]

Rick

I'll do it tomorrow at work. Should have it done in the morning. Convenient
that I have a scanner on my desk. hehehehe

I dunno how I can post it though. We don't have a news server at work. Can
you do binaries with Google?

I'll figure out something.

Check out alt.binaries.woodworking in about a day.

Rick

"Lee Gordon" wrote in message
[...]

SwampBug

Roger Wilco. . . tanx!
I see it offered on Amazon.com and Tylertools for $470. . .
--
SwampBug
---------------------

"Lee Gordon" wrote in message
[...]

Herbster

"Rick" wrote in message
Dunno what the big hush hush is all about. I have literature on the two

new
planers. DW734 and DW735. They are going to retail for about 399 and 499
respectively.

I could scan the literature and post it if need be.

Rick

Amazon will have both the 735 and 734 available on the 15th.
Someone asked about photos. Amazon has them online now. The large ones
show quite a bit of detail.

The DW735 is $479.99 - $25 promotion code (through October 31) = $454.99
The DW734 is $379.99 - $25 promotion code (through October 31) = $354.99

Both offer free shipping.

BTW, the DW733 is Friday Sale priced @ $284.99 through midnight. Minus $25
= $259.99.
Again with free shipping.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
Amazon Coupons, Sweepstakes and Bargains
http://www.coupon-codes.neonmovie.com
Over 1200 Amazon Coupon Codes, Rebates and Special Offers
$20 Promotional Certificate with Amazon.com Platinum Visa Card
http://www.coupon-codes.neonmovie.co...on-coupon-1199
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

Lee Gordon

I only ran it with my dust collector hooked up
to the 4" port, but it grabbed everything. After running all the wood
through, probably about 4 hours total use, there where 3 little wood
chips beside the bed and that's all - the dust collector had the rest.

When my friend showed me his machine he pointed to a dust collection bag
full of chips. He didn't even have to use his dust collection system. He
just attached the bag directly to the planer's dust collection port and said
it propelled the chips with enough force to fill the bag on its own.

Lee

Morgans

"Tripper" wrote in message
om...
Lowes has both the DW734 and DW735 in stock here now for $359 and
$449. I picked up the DW735 friday night.

Hold some upward pressure on the end of the wood as it enters, and leaves
the planer.
--
Jim in NC

Tripper

I haven't noticed that yet, it seems pretty solid. The wheel is pretty
light weight and the handle that sticks out to crank it spins on it's
own axle. The wheel attaches very tightly to the post, which has a
flat side, and then a hex night screws into the post through a hole in
the wheel holding it on. I was putting one board through at a time so
I was pushing one through, lowering the blade, pushing the same one
through, etc etc. I don't know if I ran it without touching the wheel
enough for it to do that. Sometime in the next week or so I will be
running a bunch of 1" boards through taking them down to 3/4". I'll
run them all through at the same height, make the adjustment, and run
then them all through again while checking it after multiple boards. I
never even thought to check for that or ask about it when I was
shopping for planers, does that happen a lot? I'll be keeping an eye
on it and report back if it does. The four upright posts the carriage
moves on are all really thick and threaded so I hope it doesn't. It is
supposed to have automatic carriage lock, but I don't know how it
works. I've never engaged a non-auto lock either so I don't have a
comparison base. None of the sales people would let me actually run
wood through one when I was shopping around.

MT

"SwampBug" wrote in message ...
Nice review Tripper, thanks. It is about to appear in my "shop". Just one
question, if you set the crank wheel with the handle to the side, have you
noticed a tendency for it to drop(wheel turn) during cutting?

--
SwampBug
---------------------
"Tripper" wrote in message
om...
Lowes has both the DW734 and DW735 in stock here now for $359 and
$449. I picked up the DW735 friday night.

This is the first planer I have ever owned or used so I don't have
anything for comparison but I like it so far. Out of the box you
attach the hand crank and the dust attachment and you are ready to go.
There are two dust attachments one to attach a 4" hose and another
(diffuser maybe?) for no hose attachment. The directions are pretty
well written and easy to follow. All the adjustments and work on the
unit can be done with the one included tool that drops into a holder
on the top. All the controls work great and are easy to operate.

First let me say again this is the first time I have ever used a
planer so a lot (okay, probably all of the snipe I got was user
error. The more boards I put through the less snipe I got. It took a
little playing around with and reading to learn the correct technique
for moving stock through so I did get snipe on the first bunch of
passes on stock, more frequently on the end of the boards then on the
front. Most of what I put through was between 3 and 6 inches wide and
2-5 feet long. I did put a couple wider ones in just to see how it
handled it. On a 14in long 11in wide hard maple glue up I took off
1/16th per pass and got no snipe or tearout. Then I put through a 10in
wide 4ft long oak board and did get snipe on the end but not the
start. I still think it's technique because it didn't do it on every
pass and when taking off 1/32 I didn't get it at all. The folding
tables aren't out yet, but they will probably help even more. I'm
pretty convinced once I get the proper technique down I won't get
snipe anymore. I'm getting more and more snipe free boards.

I can't say anything bad about the surfaces. I have had zero tearout
and ultra smooth surfaces on everything I have put in no matter what I
do. The most I have taken off is an 1/8in while only taking 1/32in on
the longer boards. Most of the time I had it set to 1/16in. Probably
50% at 1/16, 30% at 1/8, and 20% at 1/32. I put through a pretty good
mix of pine, red oak, hard maple, and ash with most of it being red
oak.

The crank turns easily and each turn is 1/16in. The depth stop is easy
to set and is for 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1, and 1 1/4. The removal scale
is pretty nice as well, you put the end of the board just under the
edge and turn the crank. A little pointer moves on a scale to tell you
how much will be taken off. It has a little chart built in showing the
max that can taken off based on board width, which is nice for me
because I didn't know. The thickness scale is pretty big, easy to
read, and easy to set. I only ran it with my dust collector hooked up
to the 4" port, but it grabbed everything. After running all the wood
through, probably about 4 hours total use, there where 3 little wood
chips beside the bed and that's all - the dust collector had the rest.
The thing I don't like about it is the dust attachment is right in the
center above the outfeed so unless you angle the hose away to the side
with an elbow or suspend it somehow it gets in the way of the stock
coming out. But so far that is my only gripe. This thing is really
loud but I expected that, it's the loudest tool I have. All the scales
and settings where dead on right out of the box. I do wish the folding
tables came bundled. Overall I'm one happy camper.

MT

"Herbster" wrote in message

"Rick" wrote in message
[...]

SwampBug

It was prolly a question borne out of ignorance of what is normal but the
possibility occurred to me. I played with the one at Lowe's and have to
agree the wheel isn't sloppy loose by any means so it will prolly not
happen. But I am a chronic worrier so, , ,s
Thanks for the reply. I am waiting for a place I shop at around here
www.woodworkersparadise.com to let me know something on it but I may get
impatient and just trot on over to Lowe's and plop down the bucks.
--
SwampBug
---------------------
"Tripper" wrote in message
om...
[...]

orp.supernews.com...

"Herbster" wrote in message

"Rick" wrote in message
[...]

SwampBug

The Lowe's here had the same price just 3 days ago, today it was $479.95. .
..me and Lowe's have parted company.

--
SwampBug