Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How do I cut a 6" circle out?

I am making a dog dish holder, and need to cut some 6" holes out for the
dishes. I have tried a jigsaw and hope to find a better method; I didn't
get the line quite perfectly. Well, not even close, actually.

I need to cut a few, so spending a few dollars is not objectionable. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. I mean, other recommending that I get
better with a jigsaw.

Posted to rec.woodworking
E E is offline

"Toller" wrote in message
I am making a dog dish holder, and need to cut some 6" holes out for the
dishes. I have tried a jigsaw and hope to find a better method; I didn't
get the line quite perfectly. Well, not even close, actually.

I need to cut a few, so spending a few dollars is not objectionable. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. I mean, other recommending that I get
better with a jigsaw.

How about something like this:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3582

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
I am making a dog dish holder, and need to cut some 6" holes out for the
dishes. I have tried a jigsaw and hope to find a better method; I didn't
get the line quite perfectly. Well, not even close, actually.

I need to cut a few, so spending a few dollars is not objectionable. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. I mean, other recommending that I get
better with a jigsaw.

Jigsaw circle cutting guild:
http://www.amazon.com/BOSCH-Circular...0?ie=UTF8&s=hi

6" holesaw:
http://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-D180096...0?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Router circle jig:
http://www.amazon.com/Jasper-200J-Mo...754402-5051160

Posted to rec.woodworking

A little expensive but much faster to setup and use than router
route... if you have a drill press.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=799

Toller wrote:
I am making a dog dish holder, and need to cut some 6" holes out for the
dishes. I have tried a jigsaw and hope to find a better method; I didn't
get the line quite perfectly. Well, not even close, actually.

I need to cut a few, so spending a few dollars is not objectionable. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. I mean, other recommending that I get
better with a jigsaw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I have a drill press but not a plunge router, so that might be a
solution. I am a bit concerned with just one cutter; seems like it would be
unbalanced. That is not a problem?

Actually I have one like it with two cutters, but it will only do about 5".
I could remove one cutter and move the arm over an inch. I thought being
unbalanced would be a killer, but will try it. Thanks.

oups.com...

Toller wrote:
I am making a dog dish holder, and need to cut some 6" holes out for the
dishes. I have tried a jigsaw and hope to find a better method; I didn't
get the line quite perfectly. Well, not even close, actually.

I need to cut a few, so spending a few dollars is not objectionable. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. I mean, other recommending that I get
better with a jigsaw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Toller wrote:
I am making a dog dish holder, and need to cut some 6" holes out for the
dishes. I have tried a jigsaw and hope to find a better method; I didn't
get the line quite perfectly. Well, not even close, actually.

I need to cut a few, so spending a few dollars is not objectionable. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. I mean, other recommending that I get
better with a jigsaw.

If you have a drill press with an appropriate low speed, there are fly
cutters available that can do this. Some of these things claim to be
useable in hand drills and probably are, but I have doubts about how
neat a hole it would be possible to cut in a hand-held drill.

http://www.holepro.com/

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1292919

http://www.generaltools.com/product....53&sectionid=2

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

A single cutter works fine. I hope you have a full size drill press. Run it
as slow as it will go. Clamp the workpiece securely (holding by hand is
HIGHLY not recommended). Also, use a backer board so the pilot is solidly in
something when the center piece is cut loose.

Toller wrote:
I am making a dog dish holder, and need to cut some 6" holes out for

the
dishes. I have tried a jigsaw and hope to find a better method; I

didn't
get the line quite perfectly. Well, not even close, actually.

I need to cut a few, so spending a few dollars is not objectionable.

Any
suggestions would be appreciated. I mean, other recommending that I

get
better with a jigsaw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 28 Jan 2007 20:17:56 -0800, "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

A little expensive but much faster to setup and use than router
route... if you have a drill press.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=799

Aha! That's where the fly-cutters are hiding. They looked at me like
I was crazy the last time I went looking for one at the hardware
store.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jon Jon is offline

You need a left handed circle cutting saw. Jus kidding. I use my bandsaw
with it's circle cutting jig.

Jon

"Larry" wrote in message
In article ,
Toller wrote:
I am making a dog dish holder, and need to cut some 6" holes out for the
dishes. I have tried a jigsaw and hope to find a better method; I didn't
get the line quite perfectly. Well, not even close, actually.

I need to cut a few, so spending a few dollars is not objectionable. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. I mean, other recommending that I get
better with a jigsaw.

If you have a drill press with an appropriate low speed, there are fly
cutters available that can do this. Some of these things claim to be
useable in hand drills and probably are, but I have doubts about how
neat a hole it would be possible to cut in a hand-held drill.

http://www.holepro.com/

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1292919

http://www.generaltools.com/product....53&sectionid=2

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
I am making a dog dish holder, and need to cut some 6" holes out for the
dishes. I have tried a jigsaw and hope to find a better method; I didn't
get the line quite perfectly. Well, not even close, actually.

I need to cut a few, so spending a few dollars is not objectionable. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. I mean, other recommending that I get
better with a jigsaw.

I would use a router and a straight cutting bit. It does not need to be a
plunge router, a standard base router can be set into a drilled hole, or can
be angled into a workpiece just fine. Use a base template that is equal to
the radius and put a pin in the center of the "hole". I do this all of the
time with everything from ceiling tiles to plywood when mounting speakers.
Works like a top and is nothing but simple. Like everything else, these
things can be over-complicated.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, I've seen the two knife version but I've always used to one-
sided jobs. Just run it at a slow speed and do a slow feed into the
material. They work great in my opinion.

On Jan 28, 8:25 pm, "Toller" wrote:
Well, I have a drill press but not a plunge router, so that might be a
solution. I am a bit concerned with just one cutter; seems like it would be
unbalanced. That is not a problem?

Actually I have one like it with two cutters, but it will only do about 5".
I could remove one cutter and move the arm over an inch. I thought being
unbalanced would be a killer, but will try it. Thanks.

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

Toller wrote:
I am making a dog dish holder, and need to cut some 6" holes out for the
dishes. I have tried a jigsaw and hope to find a better method; I didn't
get the line quite perfectly. Well, not even close, actually.

I need to cut a few, so spending a few dollars is not objectionable. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. I mean, other recommending that I get
better with a jigsaw.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

Cuts to 6.00" with no trix:
http://patwarner.com/621_offset.html
***************************************

On Jan 28, 6:24 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I am making a dog dish holder, and need to cut some 6" holes out for the
dishes. I have tried a jigsaw and hope to find a better method; I didn't
get the line quite perfectly. Well, not even close, actually.

I need to cut a few, so spending a few dollars is not objectionable. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. I mean, other recommending that I get
better with a jigsaw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

My suggestion is to stick with the jig saw. It's much quicker and you have
one on hand. After the rough cut use a spindle sander to clean up to the
lines. The bowls lips will cover up any small irregularities. Check out my
efforts on a similar project in abpw 1 "Dog Dish Holder .
Bill
"Jon" wrote in message
. ..
You need a left handed circle cutting saw. Jus kidding. I use my bandsaw
with it's circle cutting jig.

Jon