Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Home Depot's Chinese made plywood

Anyone have any good experiences with the new Chinese made so called
3/4" (11/16")oak plywood? Bought two sheets of what seemed to be flat
plywood but after cutting them to size I noticed the pieces began to
warp and twist very badly also after cutting the pieces and exposing the
inner cores there were a lot of unglued plies, man this stuff is junk.
Plan on taking this up with HD's management.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Seeker wrote:
Anyone have any good experiences with the new Chinese made so called
3/4" (11/16")oak plywood?

Not here -- but I've had some *bad* experiences with Asian-import plywood,
including a bad allergic reaction to the dust. Now, when buying ply, I look
for "Made in USA" or "Made in Canada" on the edge. If I don't see that, I
don't buy.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Seeker" wrote in message
Anyone have any good experiences with the new Chinese made so called
3/4" (11/16")oak plywood?

Nope ... AAMOF, I've gradually come to the conclusion that HD are nothing
but thieves in disguise (whose masks are quickly slipping off) who cleverly
market a ton of crappy merchandise to folks who either don't know better, or
don't give a **** ... and guess who's building your houses these days.

man this stuff is junk.
Plan on taking this up with HD's management.

Save yourself some time and just go **** in the wind ... it'll actually make
you feel better, with the same results.

Besides, there is no "management" at HD store level. Manager's by
definition, can make exception to policy. You won't find anyone at store
level who can do that.

That said, not all Chinese plywood is as bad as what is sold at HD, who
apparently buys what no one else in the industry will take and sells it to
the aforementioned.

I buy a good deal of 3/4" Chinese birch for built-ins in new homes from a
local milling operation that supplies trim to the construction industry in
these parts. Good stuff, way above what the crap HD sells, and it's less
expensive to boot.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey, HD plywood is great for crating machines to export! And it's good for
shop cabinets. Not much more. If you want quality stuff, try elsewhere.
High quality North American Oak ply is around $75 a sheet here. --dave

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Seeker" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Jackson" wrote in message

Hey, HD plywood is great for crating machines to export!

Hey, you mean we still make machines here to export? Who, where to, which
ones?

And it's good for
shop cabinets. Not much more.

Yabbut, only if you like voids and the smell of fish glue.

If you want quality stuff, try elsewhere.

Thanks, but it's the OP who hadn't figured that out yet.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Seeker" wrote in message
Anyone have any good experiences with the new Chinese made so called 3/4"
(11/16")oak plywood? Bought two sheets of what seemed to be flat plywood
but after cutting them to size I noticed the pieces began to warp and
twist very badly also after cutting the pieces and exposing the inner
cores there were a lot of unglued plies, man this stuff is junk. Plan on
taking this up with HD's management.

Like Swingman has indicated, not all Chinese plywood is the same. A local
and busy old fashioned lumber yard in SW Houston area has a big sign
advertising that they are now selling Chinese Plywood.

And you mentioned so called 3/4" (11/16") oak plywood. I have not seen
actual 3/4" plywood in years. Has what you have been buying lately actually
3/4" thick?

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Seeker wrote:
Anyone have any good experiences with the new Chinese made so called
3/4" (11/16")oak plywood? Bought two sheets of what seemed to be flat
plywood but after cutting them to size I noticed the pieces began to
warp and twist very badly also after cutting the pieces and exposing the
inner cores there were a lot of unglued plies, man this stuff is junk.
Plan on taking this up with HD's management.

About 10 years ago, HD plywood used to be usable. It started slowly
declining.
Now it's pure crap. The last time I bought there (about a year ago), I
bought 4 sheets
of oak plywood. There were huge voids under the veneer (I remember one
being 5 inches long by about 3/4 inch
wide). And of course, some of these voids didn't appear until after
the bookcase was glued up.. I ended up filling the voids and just using
the bookcase as shelving in the basement. In short, it was impossible
to make a decent project out of it.

Haven't bought anything that I wouldn't use only as utility grade
since. It's sad, because back when they charged about $50 sheet for B
grade Oak, it was decent stuff. Now they charge about $40/sheet, but
it's crap. I wouldn't mind if there was a few defects that I could cut
around (I can live with some waste), but when they have voids all over
the place under the veneer, the stuff is not usable.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bf" wrote in message

About 10 years ago, HD plywood used to be usable.

since. It's sad, because back when they charged about $50 sheet for B
grade Oak, it was decent stuff.

I've still got some scrap pieces of that in the shop from a project about 6
or 7 years ago ... notable for its difference in thickness and weight with
the stuff next to it. AAMOF, I built a couple of kitchen replacement
cabinets with that stuff and it was very useable @ $45 sheet.

No mas!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Seeker wrote:
Anyone have any good experiences with the new Chinese made so called
3/4" (11/16")oak plywood? Bought two sheets of what seemed to be flat
plywood but after cutting them to size I noticed the pieces began to
warp and twist very badly also after cutting the pieces and exposing the
inner cores there were a lot of unglued plies, man this stuff is junk.
Plan on taking this up with HD's management.

I'm in the middle of a cabinet project now using HD 3/4 Poplar plywood
(made in China). NEVER AGAIN!!!

Chose this because cabinet exterior will be painted, doors will be
poplar raised panel and interior will be finished with shellac. At $33
per sheet compared with $43 for shop grade birch it seemed like a no
brainer.

I should have inspected more carefully at the store. Got the stuff into
the shop and noticed that the edges were a little wavy. Look closer and
the plys are inconsistent thickness and overlap.
Face plys are basically transparent, touch sand and your through. Next
day sheets are starting to curl. When I started dicing it up I found a
couple of voids. WHAT CRAP!!

Kept going because it's good enough for what I'm doing, I can make it
work, and it's for myself. But would not have used for customer or if it
were to be used regularly by someone other than myself.

In the end you get what you pay for. I know better and have always said
that I would never buy lumber at HD and the like because there is a
difference. Since this project was for myself I made concessions only to
reinforce long held opinions. I've always used Shop Grade Birch from a
distributor who specializes in hardwoods and plywood for most of my
casework and it is a pleasure to work with.

Work with traditional lumber suppliers. You may pay a little more but
your getting a superior product and that makes the work SO much more
enjoyable.

Cheap is aggravating.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Seeker wrote:
Anyone have any good experiences with the new Chinese made so called
3/4" (11/16")oak plywood? Bought two sheets of what seemed to be flat
plywood but after cutting them to size I noticed the pieces began to
warp and twist very badly also after cutting the pieces and exposing the
inner cores there were a lot of unglued plies, man this stuff is junk.
Plan on taking this up with HD's management.

OK, I have have bad experiences at HD like most of you. I am not here
to defend HD, no way. But... one thing about HD is that they have a
rather liberal return policy at least where I live.

If you were to return that material and ask for a full refund they
would not blink. They would give you an immediate refund or credit
even if a sheet was cut open. I see people returning warped boards, no
kidding. Try returning a warped board at your local yard.

So, if you don't like their product don't complain. Just get a full
refund. Then double your budget and go to a local vendor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Seeker wrote:
Anyone have any good experiences with the new Chinese made so called
3/4" (11/16")oak plywood? Bought two sheets of what seemed to be flat
plywood but after cutting them to size I noticed the pieces began to
warp and twist very badly also after cutting the pieces and exposing the
inner cores there were a lot of unglued plies, man this stuff is junk.
Plan on taking this up with HD's management.

I've used chinese birch with good results. One home depot I went into
was really discounting a stack of chinese birch. I asked why and the
manager said that the stack looked really rough. At the corners some
of the veneer was delaminating. It was a good price though and it
looked like you could still use most of it. I've heard of people
having problems with the chinese birch. I guess it depends on the
batch you get.

Havn't heard of chinese oak.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Swingman" wrote

Besides, there is no "management" at HD store level. Manager's by
definition, can make exception to policy. You won't find anyone at store
level who can do that.

That said, not all Chinese plywood is as bad as what is sold at HD, who
apparently buys what no one else in the industry will take and sells it to
the aforementioned.

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Ex-CEO Nardelli is gone now so things should begin to improve. Ex-Marine
Nardelli was only interested in the bottom line at the expense of everything
else.
When stock prices were going nowhere for HD, investors finally had enough.
*Maybe* there will be some improvement.

Max (with Lowe's stock)

Posted to rec.woodworking

brianlanning wrote:

SNIP

Havn't heard of chinese oak.

brian

We have a large hardwood wholesaler here, Austin Hardwoods, that sells
oak from China. It looks like red oak in color, has a tighter grain
like white oak, and the last shipment I saw them get in they had 3-4
lifts of this stuff in (planed S2S) 1X12X14.

Not a knot, not a rough spot anywhere. Six months ago it was $4.50 a
bf.

With the lifts still in the steel bands, it was all clearly marked
"Made in China".

I remarked on how clear and straight the wood was, and the manager
agreed it was the best supplier they had connected with in years. He
wasn't sure of the species of Oak, but knew it came from China, or was
maybe just milled in China an logged somewhere else.

Here's the kicker - they sell it as "Appalachian Oak". I never would
have thought to ask...

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Here's the kicker - they sell it as "Appalachian Oak". I never would
have thought to ask...

It might well be ... seems as if I recall something about shipboard plywood
mills, in International waters, that use timber from N America and sell it
right back here.

.... or maybe I only dreamed it?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

It might well be ... seems as if I recall something about shipboard plywood
mills, in International waters, that use timber from N America and sell it
right back here.

... or maybe I only dreamed it?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

I remember that, but the only place I encountered that story was here.
I don't recall any hard proof, but that doesn't mean it wasn't/isn't
done. I am thinking of all the environmental characters that would
love to grab a headline by exposing a story like that, and I can't
imagine them not being all over it. Polluting water, stealing jobs,
selling our resources back to us... sounds like 60 minutes fodder at
least. Gotta be too much for a cub reporter to resist, and I am sure
if we know about it here, everyone else is bound to know.

Think of the logistics of running a full time mill with shipping,
receiving, loading, unloading, equipment maintenance, employee
transportation and logistics; it doesn't seem viable to me. I think it
is still cheaper to chop down the trees, load them on a truck and drive
them to the mill.

OTOH, I did run into a lumber guy a couple of years ago that told me
that he knew there was some species of oak that was in the east
somewhere that resembled our oak that would be coming our way soon.
According to him, our best large sized material for the highest end
consumer had been used, so now it made sense to charge more and ship it
in from wherever they could find it. I remember I laughed at the time
as I had never heard of "Chinese oak". He also told me there was an
oak type of wood from Chile that would be coming our way. Never saw
it.

But did buy some of the Chilean plywood later, and it was some of the
best ply I have used in the last few years. It looked like a washed
out white oak on one side with absolutely no flaws. Two minor picks it
was A/B, and it either turned out to be A/A, or A/B-, with the backside
not always being the same material. The other nit was the veneer was
super thin - clean as a whistle, but reeeealy thin. It had minor open
grain and it sanded and finshed really well. Exceptional for built ins
and production work (which was what I used it for) as it had tiny or no
voids. I paid something like $38 bucks a sheet for it. But it hasn't
been available for over a year now and according to the lumberyard, may
not be again. They bid on containers of materials, and he said they
have seen nothing in the way of wood from Chile for a while.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

It might well be ... seems as if I recall something about shipboard

plywood
mills, in International waters, that use timber from N America and

sell it
right back here.

... or maybe I only dreamed it?

Sounds like a classic urban legend to me.

The cost of maintaining a floating manufacturing platform would far
out weigh any benefits.

The cost of just generating enough power to operate would make the
operation marginal.

Fishing fleets often have processing ships at sea with the fleet, but
that is a different game since you are dealing with a perishable
product along with waste that is compatible with the sea.

Additionally, when the ship is full, they go back to port.

Just my $0.02.

Lew

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don't get me started on the topic of plywoods and veneers!!

These days manufacturers have perfected the process of depositing a one
molecule thick layer of wood over a crappy substrate. You cannot even
sand it with 600 grit sandpaper.

Go look at some old furniture and the plywood veneers. They used to
give you a generous layer of wood. You could see the thickness with
the naked eye and it was actually usable.

I don't even think of using plywood veneers anymore since they're total
garbage. It's unfortunate because they were a good idea. I could see
this with some exotic woods like teak or ebony but common oak or
cherry????

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
wrote in message

Here's the kicker - they sell it as "Appalachian Oak". I never would
have thought to ask...

It might well be ... seems as if I recall something about shipboard
plywood
mills, in International waters, that use timber from N America and sell it
right back here.

... or maybe I only dreamed it?

I have heard that also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The two major suppliers of hardwood in North Carolina
do a "booming" business in exporting. They been doing it
for several years now.

Send out the good hardwood in containers and get a container
of cheap furniture in return, which explains the condition
of the furniture industry in North Carolina.

We can't buy a single piece of #1 SYP and we live in the
tarheel state ??? I asked a manager at a huge plant what
they did with all the good stuff... It is all exported.

wrote:

I remarked on how clear and straight the wood was, and the manager
agreed it was the best supplier they had connected with in years. He
wasn't sure of the species of Oak, but knew it came from China, or was
maybe just milled in China an logged somewhere else.

Here's the kicker - they sell it as "Appalachian Oak". I never would
have thought to ask...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't get me started on the topic of plywoods and veneers!!

These days manufacturers have perfected the process of depositing a one
molecule thick layer of wood over a crappy substrate. You cannot even
sand it with 600 grit sandpaper.

Surely you are exaggerating! ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" writes:

When stock prices were going nowhere for HD, investors finally had enough.
*Maybe* there will be some improvement.

"There.s a possibility that Home Depot shareholders will sue to get
the company to cancel its $210 million buyout golden - more like a
platinum - parachute to fired CEO Bob Nardelli. Anticipating that the
money will be returned, price changes are already showing up in local
Home Depot prices. The 99-cent air filter I bought last week for $22
is now on sale for $19.95." - Ted Sherman - Satirist

Posted to rec.woodworking

(snip)Hey, you mean we still make machines here to export? Who, where to,
which
ones?

I meant if your exporting FROM China!! --dave

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Dave Jackson" wrote in message

Hey, HD plywood is great for crating machines to export!

Hey, you mean we still make machines here to export? Who, where to, which
ones?

And it's good for
shop cabinets. Not much more.

Yabbut, only if you like voids and the smell of fish glue.

If you want quality stuff, try elsewhere.

Thanks, but it's the OP who hadn't figured that out yet.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've only ever used melamine and masonite from HD. Both were OK. When I was
building the bed for our bedroom, I needed to build 12 drawers 18Wx24Lx8D. I
looked at the plywood that HD had and it looked and felt like junk. I
decided to try Lowe's (not much better) and went back to get melamine. The
local yard is closed on the weekend so either I have to plan or get it at
the BORG.

Allen
"Seeker" wrote in message
Anyone have any good experiences with the new Chinese made so called 3/4"
(11/16")oak plywood? Bought two sheets of what seemed to be flat plywood
but after cutting them to size I noticed the pieces began to warp and
twist very badly also after cutting the pieces and exposing the inner
cores there were a lot of unglued plies, man this stuff is junk. Plan on
taking this up with HD's management.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't even think of using plywood veneers anymore since they're total
garbage. It's unfortunate because they were a good idea. I could see
this with some exotic woods like teak or ebony but common oak or
cherry????

I just bought a sheet of teak plywood. It is made for cabin soles in
boats and has strips of holly (probably maple) running the length of
the sheet at approximately 1 5/8" intervals. I need to but up against
a sheet I had bought last year. Well, not only was it 3/32 thinner
but the face teak ply could only be measured in microns it was so
thin. I brushed it off with a soft brush (afraid a stiff brush would
puncture the ply) and immediately coated with West System 105/207 so
that the veneer could be handled. Its cost (not including the epoxy I
had to apply) $149.00. If I ever put another cabin sole in a boat I
will use solid 1/4 teak with maple strips. I believe manufacturers
are making the final veneer so thin that woodworkers are realizing
that it is all but unusable. Wholesalers contribute to this situation
by purchasing this **** but they all seem to focus on maximum profit.
Even the quality suppliers often can not resist real cheap **** when
it is offered to them. If they can buy it for $10 less a sheet and
cut the price $5 a sheet they still come out ahead.

I am coming to agree more and more with the poster (who name does not
immediately come to me) who says that "It's time to throw the tea in
the water again." Or words to that effect.

Posted to rec.woodworking

One definition of a colony is that which supplies another with raw
material. So that begs the question , are we a chinese colony? Pat(longtime
lurker)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Bleau" wrote in message

Even the quality suppliers often can not resist real cheap **** when
it is offered to them. If they can buy it for $10 less a sheet and
cut the price $5 a sheet they still come out ahead.

I've noticed this only the past two or three years with some long time
suppliers, only they don't cut the price.

I think it's a desperate attempt to stay in business after years of using an
old business model that's worked since the "Industrial Age", but no is no
longer guaranteed to do so in the "Me/TV Age": "Give the customer quality
and service".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

My local supplier of Chinese plywood gives a fortune cookie with every
sheet.

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Default Home Depot's Non-Chinese made plywood

I have noticed also the selection of other plywoods has disappeared. A
goodly number of years ago, one could purchase firply in a number of
thicknesses and finishes. I personally still have some remnants in my scrap
bin of 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" firply. It used to be
available in sanded, unsanded, and thicker sheets in tongue & groove for
flooring. Now at the BORG and the few remaining lumber yards in sanded
undersized 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4", and they consider this a full selection.

"Seeker" wrote in message
Anyone have any good experiences with the new Chinese made so called 3/4"
(11/16")oak plywood? Bought two sheets of what seemed to be flat plywood
but after cutting them to size I noticed the pieces began to warp and
twist very badly also after cutting the pieces and exposing the inner
cores there were a lot of unglued plies, man this stuff is junk. Plan on
taking this up with HD's management.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:42:40 -0600, (John) wrote:

My local supplier of Chinese plywood gives a fortune cookie with every
sheet.

Yeah, I got one of those fortune cookies. I opened it up to read the
following message: "Help me! I'm being held prisoner in a Chinese
Plywood Factory."

Posted to rec.woodworking

John wrote:

My local supplier of Chinese plywood gives a fortune cookie with every
sheet.

Um, fortune cookies are not Chinese, they are American...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Seeker" wrote in message
Anyone have any good experiences with the new Chinese made so called 3/4"
(11/16")oak plywood? Bought two sheets of what seemed to be flat plywood
but after cutting them to size I noticed the pieces began to warp and
twist very badly also after cutting the pieces and exposing the inner
cores there were a lot of unglued plies, man this stuff is junk. Plan on
taking this up with HD's management.

The "real" plywood suppliers still have a vast array of options to drool
over. When I was in CT I used to get my good plywood from Atlantic
Plywood in South Windsor. They are only wholesale, but you can place
your order at the building supply place a few miles down rt 5 and then
go pickup your order up the street. The building supply place doesn't
have real good info on what they have at Atlantic so it's best to make a
trip up to Atlantic to get the listing of what they actually have and if
you can take a walk through their warehouse.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.woodworking

EMT wrote:

I have noticed also the selection of other plywoods has disappeared. A
goodly number of years ago, one could purchase firply in a number of
thicknesses and finishes. I personally still have some remnants in

my scrap
bin of 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" firply. It used to be
available in sanded, unsanded, and thicker sheets in tongue &

groove for
flooring. Now at the BORG and the few remaining lumber yards in sanded
undersized 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4", and they consider this a full

selection.

Ever hear of the 80/20 rule?

A statistical rule as follows;

80% of your sales come from 20% of your customers.
80% of your sales come from 20% of your products.
80% of your profits come from 20% of your sales.
80% of your problems come from 20% of your customers.

The list goes on, but you get the idea.

With the advent of the large scale use of computers, it it possible to
not only minimize the amount of inventory to maximize profits, but
also minimize the number of people working at any time to minimize costs.

That's why you won't find high end and/or very smsll/lsrge size
clothing at your friendly department store.

Lew

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
link.net...
EMT wrote:

[...]

Also clothing and shoes are ordered and supplied by the manufacturer in
"lots" of all the sizes they want to sell with only one item of the extreme
sizes and gradually more of average size, if you ask them to order a pair of
size 13 shoes, they have to pay extra for it and pay the shipping for one
pair which makes it totally uneconomical to place that order.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 18, 3:30*pm, Pat Barber wrote:
The two major suppliers of hardwood in North Carolina
do a "booming" business in exporting. They been doing it
for several years now.

Send out the good hardwood in containers and get a container
of cheap furniture in return, which explains the condition
of the furniture industry in North Carolina.

We can't buy a single piece of #1 SYP and we live in the
tarheel state ??? I asked a manager at a huge plant what
they did with all the good stuff... It is all exported.

Not just Tarheels: Hooker Furniture in southern Virginia announced last
week they are shutting down their LAST wood furniture plant in the
U.S., so that's 280 more jobs gone aglimmering.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Can you say, 'Bell Curve' . . .

anews.com...

EMT wrote:

I have noticed also the selection of other plywoods has disappeared. .

.. .
SNIP
Ever hear of the 80/20 rule?

A statistical rule . . .

SNIP
Also clothing and shoes are ordered and supplied by the manufacturer in
"lots" of all the sizes they want to sell with only one item of the

extreme
sizes and gradually more of average size, if you ask them to order a pair

of
size 13 shoes, they have to pay extra for it and pay the shipping for one
pair which makes it totally uneconomical to place that order.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think the undersizing is due to the fact that the manufacturers are
manufacturing the material to metric sizings not imperial. So there
isn't any true 1/4" 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" or 3/4" plywood made any more.

I am also amazed when I go to the order desk at other non HD stores
(Home Hardware here in Canada) to purchase plywood and they ask if I
want VC or PC core. In my mind PC core is not plywood it is particle
board with a veneer on it.

Dan

"Seeker" wrote in message

Anyone have any good experiences with the new Chinese made so called 3/4"
(11/16")oak plywood? Bought two sheets of what seemed to be flat plywood
but after cutting them to size I noticed the pieces began to warp and
twist very badly also after cutting the pieces and exposing the inner
cores there were a lot of unglued plies, man this stuff is junk. Plan on
taking this up with HD's management.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

On Jan 18, 7:23 am, Seeker wrote:
Anyone have any good experiences with the new Chinese made so called
3/4" (11/16")oak plywood? Bought two sheets of what seemed to be flat
plywood but after cutting them to size I noticed the pieces began to
warp and twist very badly also after cutting the pieces and exposing the
inner cores there were a lot of unglued plies, man this stuff is junk.
Plan on taking this up with HD's management.

They are total crap.. I bought some about 2 years ago and it had some
red stuff that showed through the veneer.

They used to sell good oak plyood in the 90's.. but it's degraded to
the point of being unusable now.